RIP Pelé...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Not a fan of soccer, but he was in the only soccer related thing worth watching! Honestly though, I have tremendous respect for anyone who was at the top of their sport...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Big Sombrero would be filled to the rafters whenever the Pele-led Cosmos visited the Rowdies. He was larger than life.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Saw him play in Colombia when I was 10 years old. Didn't know squat about soccer, other than playing in PE, but could still see how great he was.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw him play in Colombia when I was 10 years old. Didn't know squat about soccer, other than playing in PE, but could still see how great he was.
I think we know exactly what you were doing in Columbia :suspect:

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
I think we know exactly what you were doing in Columbia :suspect:
:lol: Moving serious product.

Actually, we were there for a swim meet.

We competed well in the shorter distances but being from FL, anything over 200 meters was brutal, since Bogota is 8,600 ft above sea level.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Moving serious product.

Actually, we were there for a swim meet.

We competed well in the shorter distances but being from FL, anything over 200 meters was brutal, since Bogota is 8,600 ft above sea level.
I was just going to say getting coffee :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not a fan of soccer, but he was in the only soccer related thing worth watching! Honestly though, I have tremendous respect for anyone who was at the top of their sport...

Likewise. However, ABC’s Wide World of Sports would cover him (and team) and I’d always make sure to watch. He was a magician, ahead of his time.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I didn’t follow soccer either, but I understood that Pele was Michael Jordan before Michael Jordan was Michael Jordan.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Pele became the template for modern international soccer stardom. Charisma and bottomless talent. Like Ali in boxing, or Bird and Magic’s rivalry in the 80’s NBA, he took the game to a whole new level and there was no going back.

What’s incredible about it is that his status among the legends was gained well before the time when people in every corner of the world could see every angle of every kick he made on tv, internet, social media, etc, and he never played professionally in the big European leagues. He only played for two teams his entire career: Santos in Brazil and NY Cosmos in NASL. Most of the planet only saw him playing and winning two world cups, 58 and 70, because he was out injured in 62 and hobbled in 66 with a bum knee on a weak Brazil team that crashed out.

And yet, he will forever be mentioned alongside modern stars like Messi, Mbappe, and Ronaldo, guys whose faces and highlights are plastered everywhere 24/7.

That fact should suggest to those who don’t know the game well just how unbelievable he was.

And even though he couldn’t act for ****, he helped make VICTORY the best war/sports film anyone could dream of.

Obrigado Senhor.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I got to see him play his last season with the Cosmos when they played the Diplomats at a packed RFK stadium in DC. (The only time they ever packed the place was against the Cosmos.) He was clearly past his prime, but it was still pretty cool. RIP Pele.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pele became the template for modern international soccer stardom. Charisma and bottomless talent. Like Ali in boxing, or Bird and Magic’s rivalry in the 80’s NBA, he took the game to a whole new level and there was no going back.

What’s incredible about it is that his status among the legends was gained well before the time when people in every corner of the world could see every angle of every kick he made on tv, internet, social media, etc, and he never played professionally in the big European leagues. He only played for two teams his entire career: Santos in Brazil and NY Cosmos in NASL. Most of the planet only saw him playing and winning two world cups, 58 and 70, because he was out injured in 62 and hobbled in 66 with a bum knee on a weak Brazil team that crashed out.

And yet, he will forever be mentioned alongside modern stars like Messi, Mbappe, and Ronaldo, guys whose faces and highlights are plastered everywhere 24/7.

That fact should suggest to those who don’t know the game well just how unbelievable he was.

And even though he couldn’t act for ****, he helped make VICTORY the best war/sports film anyone could dream of.

Obrigado Senhor.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
His type of skill was not seen before his time. I would make a slight comparison to what spurrier did with offense in SEC, as far as changing the game. I believe i heard this morning he scored 1400 goals in 1200 career games.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
His type of skill was not seen before his time. I would make a slight comparison to what spurrier did with offense in SEC, as far as changing the game. I believe i heard this morning he scored 1400 goals in 1200 career games.

He retired from the Brazil national team in 1970 and his goals total for them was only just matched by Neymar in the recent WC. He’s still tied for the top.

Amazing considering Brazil’s passion for the game and the sheer amount of quality players they produce every generation…. And Pele did it while being violently fouled repeatedly by opponents in an era of the game that was far more physical where refs let tons of dirty play go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.