Ronnie Montgomery, Great Gator Point Guard, has died

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
My first UF v UK game, Ronnie was the PG and he was dropping dimes for Maxwell & Moten.

He made an incredible behind the back pass while running full speed that one of the M&M boys scored a bucket on.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This one hurts me a lot.
The vision of Ronnie on top of the rim with the Apple Time sign is etched in my mind forever.
It may seem insignificant today but it was a big deal at the time for a fledgling basketball program that guys like Ronnie Montgomery built.
Very coachable player and a great teammate that I enjoyed watching play back in the day. He and Andrew Moten were the real heart of those teams in spite of the clown Maxwell and his antics.

Rest in peace Mr Montgomery!!

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This one hurts me a lot.
The vision of Ronnie on top of the rim with the Apple Time sign is etched in my mind forever.
It may seem insignificant today but it was a big deal at the time for a fledgling basketball program that guys like Ronnie Montgomery built.
Very coachable player and a great teammate that I enjoyed watching play back in the day. He and Andrew Moten were the real heart of those teams in spite of the clown Maxwell and his antics.

Rest in peace Mr Montgomery!!
This is one of my favorite Gator Basketball memories. Somebody gave him a top hat, a cane, and a coat, and all 5'8 of him was boosted up to sit on the rim. I was at that game and the place was going nuts.

My other memory of him was a mention in Norm Sloan's book. Sloan said he had to have a talk with Ronnie and his parents because a girl Ronnie was dating was distracting him from practice and school, and his performance was being affected. Ronnie's dad, who was from a rural farming community, said to him, "Ronnie, Coach Sloan don't care where you stick your pecker. He don't care if you stick it in an old mule. Just as long as you make sure it doesn't affect you in basketball and school."

Screenshot-2024-04-16-at-8.12.12_PM.jpeg

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is one of my favorite Gator Basketball memories. Somebody gave him a top hat, a cane, and a coat, and all 5'8 of him was boosted up to sit on the rim. I was at that game and the place was going nuts.

My other memory of him was a mention in Sloane's book. Sloane said he had to have a talk with Ronnie and his parents because a girl Ronnie was dating was distracting him from practice and school, and his performance was being affected. Ronnie's dad, who was from a rural farming community, said to him, "Ronnie, Coach Sloane doesn't care where you stick your pecker. He doesn't care if you stick it in an old mule. Just as long as you make sure it doesn't affect you in basketball and school."

Screenshot-2024-04-16-at-8.12.12_PM.jpeg

Great story Pasty. I hadn’t heard that before.

FTR, Ronnie Montgomery was 6’0” versus 5’8”.
You may be thinking of Erving Walker who was every bit of 5’8”.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
A former standout at Jacksonville Ribault High, Montgomery was a pass-first point guard on the Norm Sloan-coached teams that featured high-scoring guards Vernon Maxwell and Andrew Moten and center Dwayne Schintzius, who died of leukemia in 2012. The group led UF to their first two NCAA Tournaments in school history in 1987 and 1988, with the Gators reaching the Sweet 16 in 1987 and Round of 32 in 1988.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Well dahm. Getting close-ish to as far back as I have personal memories of Gator basketball. Ronnie Montgomery was a very important part of those teams that broke into the NCAA tourney for the 1st time, and then again. Back then we had season tickets, saw a lot of games.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
A former standout at Jacksonville Ribault High, Montgomery was a pass-first point guard on the Norm Sloan-coached teams that featured high-scoring guards Vernon Maxwell and Andrew Moten and center Dwayne Schintzius, who died of leukemia in 2012. The group led UF to their first two NCAA Tournaments in school history in 1987 and 1988, with the Gators reaching the Sweet 16 in 1987 and Round of 32 in 1988.
Montgomery and Moten were also terrific on-ball defenders. They’d regularly draw charges on the opposing guards trying to bring the ball up the court. So quick.

Mad Max was also an excellent defender. I’m biased, but I always thought he defended Jordan better than anyone.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
M&M boys all three...........Maxwell was great basketball player and crazy as hell........his interviews are nuts. He was called Mad Max for a reason. I bet him and Stormin Norman were a show in practice sometimes. I wish some of the guys there would tell some stories about it.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
M&M boys all three...........Maxwell was great basketball player and crazy as hell........his interviews are nuts. He was called Mad Max for a reason. I bet him and Stormin Norman were a show in practice sometimes. I wish some of the guys there would tell some stories about it.

Dead men tell no tales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator