Rumor: Mullen was on vacation on NSD

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Great point but we are not Auburn and I bet they will be worse rather than better. Now Frost went home and has not had that much success. The guy from Memphis who was so successful there was not that great either when he got a bigger job.

The reality is that there are only so many sure things and they are where they want to be mostly. You could get lucky but probably not.

What I wonder is that how to be a good manager of the team (CEO type of duties) is something you can learn and improve at. Why the boss does not insist on training is a great question.

I bet Mullen is worried that the changes will make his job more difficult, if so he needs to just quit. I don't see an NFL program hiring him ever as a head coach perhaps QB coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Debunked? One asshat throws something out there, and then another asshat says it isn't true. BOTH of those idiots don't know sh!t from shinola, so I don't know how you can say it's debunked.

Mullen will be interviewed by the Jets and will be eagerly hired away. Thank Christ.

Do we send the plane directly to Illinois, or try to find this Lord Vaitor you keep raving about?

Follow up, if we do get Hamhock, do we have a short list of replacements at all times? We’ve already seen our coach get COVID. That guy checks every box of a goner if he gets it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Do we send the plane directly to Illinois, or try to find this Lord Vaitor you keep raving about?

Follow up, if we do get Hamhock, do we have a short list of replacements at all times? We’ve already seen our coach get COVID. That guy checks every box of a goner if he gets it.
Our record next year is going to be no different whether we have Mullen or Viator or Hammock. 4-8 to 6-6.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Debunked? One asshat throws something out there, and then another asshat says it isn't true. BOTH of those idiots don't know sh!t from shinola, so I don't know how you can say it's debunked.

Mullen will be interviewed by the Jets and will be eagerly hired away. Thank Christ.
“Today in Wishful Thinking”

I’ve got 10.75 Oxbucks that says it doesn’t happen.

Nobody wants Cousin Eddie, hell we don’t even want him and he’s under contract to us.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sofla seems to think we’d be a dumpster fire if Mullen left now. I expect us to be a dumpster fire either way. It hasn’t sunk in to most people here that this Gator team is headed for a losing season next year. We have already hit the top and it’s a nice long crash to the bottom now. The talent level next year is on par with Kentucky. The Vols will have more talent on paper.

With what talent?

All of this was said, and was technically accurate, going into 2018. Then 2019. Then this year. And in terms of talent, there will be three teams ahead of us on our schedule.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With what talent?

There’s plenty of talent. We’re in some sort of weird groupthink, the sky is falling scenario.

This is what happens when Ltraz and donkey are 80% of the posts. People start to believe it.

These are the same people who said we would only win 4 games this year. Should have we lost to LSU? No. Oklahoma? Probably. Bama? Yes. A&M? Probably not.

Is Mullin weird? Yes. Is he probably our Richt? Yes. Can we win a title with him? I don’t know. But he is miles better than the last two coaches and I think before we run off the one guy who brought respect back to UF, we should definitely have the right guy lined up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There’s plenty of talent. We’re in some sort of weird groupthink, the sky is falling scenario.

This is what happens when Ltraz and donkey are 80% of the posts. People start to believe it.

These are the same people who said we would only win 4 games this year. Should have we lost to LSU? No. Oklahoma? Probably. Bama? Yes. A&M? Probably not.

Is Mullin weird? Yes. Is he probably our Richt? Yes. Can we win a title with him? I don’t know. But he is miles better than the last two coaches and I think before we run off the one guy who brought respect back to UF, we should definitely have the right guy lined up.

This. I feel like I’m pretty consistent in my attendance here. But I must’ve missed the day when 75% of the posters agreed to start doing hard drugs. And while I don’t think Gator chatter itself shapes opinions on its own, the thoughts and views carry from site to site, then to social media, on and on. Before you know it, there’s a general sentiment prevalent among fans and seen by outsiders, all with little substance to support it. That’s the type of toxicity I’ve seen destroy programs like the vols and canes. Even many noles were happy to see Jimbo go because they were going to upgrade. It’s been a terrific few years since.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As for talent (on offense):

1. QB: 4* Anthony Richardson (perfect QB for his system and 4* Emory Jones (who every major program was fighting to get).

2. WR: 5* Justin Shorter, 4* Henderson (Who we beat Clemson for, and got tons of PT this year and had no spring), 4* Jacob Copeland, Whittemore (Who was lights out until he got injured).

3. RB: 5* Demarcus Bowman, 5* Lorenzo Lingard, and 4* Wright (who was probably our best back this year).

OL: Sad Face

——————————

(On Defense)

DL: This is the one I’m most worried about. We have a depth issue on the DL but we do have talent. We just got the Penn State transfer but we probably at least need 1 or 2 more transfers.
Last year’s class - 5* Dexter, 4*s Lee, Goods, Princely.

LB: Not as worried about LB as the DL. Diabete really came on toward the end of the year. All the upperclassman over the last 2 years have been very mediocre: Moon, Houston, Brunson. Miller was good this year and was highly recruited but really struggled with athleticism. Obviously Wingo will be a huge upgrade with a full spring.

CB: 4* Elam became a premier corner for us later in the year. 4* Jaydon Hill was very good in a limited role. 5* Marshall coming in this year and will lock down a starting role. 3* Trevez Johnson is talented but looks to be limited. Not sure how he fits in.

S: Just a mess. We have some kids coming in this year but they won’t be ready. Collier needs to put on weight. McMillon could probably play but we would just be asking for problems by putting a frosh back there. - Maybe Pouncey? He seems to have the size

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As for talent (on offense):

1. QB: 4* Anthony Richardson (perfect QB for his system and 4* Emory Jones (who every major program was fighting to get).

2. WR: 5* Justin Shorter, 4* Henderson (Who we beat Clemson for, and got tons of PT this year and had no spring), 4* Jacob Copeland, Whittemore (Who was lights out until he got injured).

3. RB: 5* Demarcus Bowman, 5* Lorenzo Lingard, and 4* Wright (who was probably our best back this year).

OL: Sad Face

——————————

(On Defense)

DL: This is the one I’m most worried about. We have a depth issue on the DL but we do have talent. We just got the Penn State transfer but we probably at least need 1 or 2 more transfers.
Last year’s class - 5* Dexter, 4*s Lee, Goods, Princely.

LB: Not as worried about LB as the DL. Diabete really came on toward the end of the year. All the upperclassman over the last 2 years have been very mediocre: Moon, Houston, Brunson. Miller was good this year and was highly recruited but really struggled with athleticism. Obviously Wingo will be a huge upgrade with a full spring.

CB: 4* Elam became a premier corner for us later in the year. 4* Jaydon Hill was very good in a limited role. 5* Marshall coming in this year and will lock down a starting role. 3* Trevez Johnson is talented but looks to be limited. Not sure how he fits in.

S: Just a mess. We have some kids coming in this year but they won’t be ready. Collier needs to put on weight. McMillon could probably play but we would just be asking for problems by putting a frosh back there.

Transfers only count if they’re outbound. Where have you been?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Transfers only count if they’re outbound. Where have you been?

:exactly:

and btw, these outbound transfers haven’t been able to get on the field so it’s not like it’s a big loss.

look - I’ve always like Clement. I think he’s talented. But he’s not starting in front of the 4 guys in front of him.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This. I feel like I’m pretty consistent in my attendance here. But I must’ve missed the day when 75% of the posters agreed to start doing hard drugs. And while I don’t think Gator chatter itself shapes opinions on its own, the thoughts and views carry from site to site, then to social media, on and on. Before you know it, there’s a general sentiment prevalent among fans and seen by outsiders, all with little substance to support it. That’s the type of toxicity I’ve seen destroy programs like the vols and canes. Even many noles were happy to see Jimbo go because they were going to upgrade. It’s been a terrific few years since.
2 weeks ago you were firmly entrenched in the fire the whole lot of them camp. dont pretend otherwise :lol:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ Owning and Destroying with realities!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
2 weeks ago you were firmly entrenched in the fire the whole lot of them camp. dont pretend otherwise :lol:

I’ve said on several occasions that I’d be ok if it happened, specifically in the heat of a frustrating situation, and if I knew we had a definitive upgrade. And if he’s actively looking for NFL opportunities, I’m equally pissed. I said that a week ago. But I also haven’t spent the last three years going around dismissing everything and yeah but-ing any positives. There are a handful that have and now it’s become commonplace, which as J pointed out, is ridiculous. If we win 9-10 games again this year, we will be having this same discussion next year at this time. To me it’s a bad look. If we’d somehow seamlessly transferred from Meyer directly to Mullen, there’d be a lot less angst, imo. We’re pissed because of 8 years of garbage in between, which is warranted. But it shouldn’t slant our view of what Mullen has done. A great example is that of Toney. Instead of being happy with how he developed this past year, we have people asking why he wasn’t as big a part of the offense the past two seasons. Couldn’t possibly be he’s now a 4th year guy who finally committed to mastering his craft and took coaching. No, he was this player for four years and we gave him 3 snaps a game just because.

But ftr, that Lsu game is still a hot topic in my household. My son still thinks the FG was good and an early intentional grounding call on Trask was bogus. He’s got some serious passion.:lol:

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I understand why some want Mullen to stay, but considering how this team ultimately underperformed this season due to several bad coaching decisions, I'm not going to be sad to see Mullen go if he takes another job this year or gets fired in a year or two. My problem with him is that after he does something really dumb, he tries to justify it and make excuses for it.

This team had the potential and opportunity to be undefeated going to Atlanta, while being a lock for the CFP and the Heisman regardless if they win or lose (i.e., Notre Dame). But we all know how that played out. If Mullen had made better coaching/recruiting decisions in the past, we would have been in a better position to actually outright win the CFP. But it's also worth noting that if Franks never gets injured, we're probably an 8-9 win team last year and a 6-7 win team with him this year with arguably the best passer in the school's history holding a clipboard.

He's keeping Grantham after the worst defensive season in school history, so the defense will continue to suck, and Trask/Pitts are gone. So we are going to run the ball more with success but likely score less points per game. We're realistically looking at an 8-9 win season, far from a championship contending team that we'd expect from a coach in his fourth year making 6+ million a year. Maybe at year 6 he'll have a team good enough to compete for championships, but it's hard to not think that it'll be another wasted year due to bad coaching decisions based on this year.

He's not our version of Mark Richt cause Richt actually won a conference championship. Mullen is his own type of coach. A guy who will consistently keep a team somewhat relevant with 9-10 win average seasons without winning any championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator