Ryan Locte robbed in Rio? Naw, he lied

Jun 2, 2015
Local situation is that the Volusia/Flagler YMCA has a charity swim match scheduled to be held at the Ormond Beach YMCA Sept.28 featuring Lochte vs. Charlie Lydecker. Rowdy Gaines also scheduled to be there. The YMCA has already spent over $2,000. to have tickets printed, progams and tee shirts. Because of the Lochte issue, they are considering cancelling as they don't feel he is a good role model for the youth. Obviously not. Haven't heard the final decision on this to date.

Also, Port Orange YMCA had to ban the press last week as Steve Lochte (Ryan's dad) was there teaching a class and they were apparently disruptive trying to get to him for comments. Ryan's sister is also the swim coach @ both Mainland High School and Atlantic High School in the Daytona area. I feel bad for his family having to put up with the mess he created. And, of course, he is hiding out somwhere and only shows up to talk with Matt Lauer and put a spin on his story. What a tool!

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lochte may be a tool and he certainly embellished the events that happened to him, but imo the media needs to take a look at itself here. The reason this story took off is because it involved a "name" athlete and it furthered a narrative about a crime-ridden, can't-trust-the-authorities, 3rd world country that the media has been pushing for months.

again, let me reiterate that Lochte 100% bears responsibility for not telling the truth, but the amount of coverage on this has been insane.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
While Lochte is a knucklehead, he's getting way too much sh!t for this whole deal.

He did exaggerate about the gun to his head however guns were still pulled on them. They didn't speak the language and were totally wasted. They probably hadn't had alcohol for months being in training so it probably didn't take much.

They were forced down with guns on them and they had to pay to be freed. Robbery/Extortion, a matter of degrees, compounded when you're wasted.

Brazilian cops went rip-sh!t on this to try to mitigate all the other crimes committed on visitors the last few weeks.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Lochte may be a tool and he certainly embellished the events that happened to him, but imo the media needs to take a look at itself here. The reason this story took off is because it involved a "name" athlete and it furthered a narrative about a crime-ridden, can't-trust-the-authorities, 3rd world country that the media has been pushing for months.

again, let me reiterate that Lochte 100% bears responsibility for not telling the truth, but the amount of coverage on this has been insane.

I totally respect this post. The problem is that the US media has pretty much trashed Brazil. Fair or not...the US media has been rough on Brazil. Lochte reinforced that opinion. Brazil wasn't having it. It is what it is...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I totally respect this post. The problem is that the US media has pretty much trashed Brazil. Fair or not...the US media has been rough on Brazil. Lochte reinforced that opinion. Brazil wasn't having it. It is what it is...

In the end does this really end up making Brazil look better? Allowing armed security guards to hold people hostage until they pay money isn't a good look for a country.

Yes... Lochte lied and the guys acted poorly, but theft is theft and what I saw in that video was theft!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So that security guard calls in the police. They write up their report on the crime of vandalism.
Then they deposit these boys into a Rio jail. Nobody around them speaks English. Then, if lucky,
they get to appear before the judge the next day … maybe. In court, the judge reads the charges, to
which our swimmers agree. The judge decides $50 - $70 - $100 fine, added on the cost of repairing the
damage, plus court costs $. Any legal fees for hiring an English/Portuguese interpreter or a lawyer ?
Wouldn't the judge be coercing more money from them ? Could they attempt to leave the courtroom without
guns changing their minds? Did the judge rob them? Their money loss would be 2-3x more than what the guard
took from them. Time loss greater too. That guard probably knows the police and court route to be a path he,
himself would want to be spared. It's a wash ... except for Lochte's embellishing the event into a media egg,
his mom's media shout-out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The numbers were $500 each to pay for that sign on a door. And then a $10,000 fine to one of the four. Do you really think that security robber turned the money over to the cops to save the boys the inconvenience?

Sometimes I think you are still on the laughing gas.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The numbers were $500 each to pay for that sign on a door. And then a $10,000 fine to one of the four. Do you really think that security robber turned the money over to the cops to save the boys the inconvenience?

C'mon Law … the guard and the gas station manager were side by side, on the same page. That money
is public knowledge. That guard and that manager will have to turn that money over to the owner(s) so
they can make repairs. The owner(s) control whether those guys have steady employment in a land
where unemployment is extremely high.

The $500 damage repair & $10,000 fine shows the route now that Lochte's story version made it a hot
story -- out of the unheard of event. If Lochte had told no one, their "fine" would be $70.?? Along with no
public embarrassment. I'm betting none of the other swimmers put their drunken misadventure out for
public scrutiny.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Lochte interview with Lauer was painful to watch. Lauer acting like he's the frickin moral police and Lochte saying he was too drunk to recall anything. And then Lauer acting like he's the only one who can define a robbery.

I hope Lochte paid that 10k back to his teammate.

Lauer is a hack... he has no right to judge anyone on morals.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I'm not sure where you are getting that first number, but everything I read said about $50 (US) total at the gas station, not $500 each

Here's a decent look at the overall story, including a video of the so-called "vandalized bathroom"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They paid $50 total and that would've been it had Lochte not ran his mouth.

Where is this $500 link? Please provide

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
When the story first came out they were talking 4-500 blank, which converted to 50 US

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But he was robbed! Why would anyone drop him if he did nothing wrong!? I'm outraged.

T Rex, you know the equation isn't that similar... he got dropped because he looks like a dumba$$. It's all about publicity. This is an overstatement on your part. If he was more profitable for them, he wouldn't have been dropped. This has to do with his brand is being a dumba$$ which doesn't fit the brands who dropped him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A marketing campaign is planned out for a run of a coupla years. It's brainstormed by high-paid ad-men.
Posters are made for "in-store" buy-site displays. They're distributed through trucking routes etc.
Now, advertising long ago launched into exhilarating exaggeration on their costly stars. Remember
Bo Jackson ... the hockey player, the fencer, "Bo Knows" etc. Well -- they can't hold Lochte up as any kind of
example. Substituting a replacement "star" will cost bundles.

Of course, let's not ignore the fact that Trex is a "star" at sarcasm = "Trex knows sarcasm."

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
T Rex, you know the equation isn't that similar... he got dropped because he looks like a dumba$$. It's all about publicity. This is an overstatement on your part. If he was more profitable for them, he wouldn't have been dropped. This has to do with his brand is being a dumba$$ which doesn't fit the brands who dropped him.

My comments are tongue in cheek. He is definitely a dumbass hahaha

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sponsors Speedo and Ralph Lauren have dropped Ryan as spokes-model.
That's better than Lochte dropping Speedo, publicly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.