Saban done at Bama?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
So watching Nick on the sideline at LSU watching his SEC and NC hopes go up is a splash of Gumbo and cheap beer, he just looked like a man ready to call it quits. I know this is probably not the way he wants to go out but with the way Ugay is loading up and some of the other teams that are starting to make moves plus the NIL I am just wondering is this his last year? And is Dabo ready to move on from Clemson?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We have this conversation everytime they lose. They won it all in 2020. If not for injuries to their starting 2 first round pick receivers, they repeat last year. Heck , the only reason they lost Saturday was their qb has a bum shoulder. They have the #1 recruiting class right now. I see absolutely no signs of him slowing up. None

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When you become the best at what you do, you create mental challenges to keep you motivated. Saban's mental challenge is separating himself from the Bear. He needs one more.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
When you become the best at what you do, you create mental challenges to keep you motivated. Saban's mental challenge is separating himself from the Bear. He needs one more.
I agree... if you watch things like the documentary about him, the dude is always driven by something specific. I think the only thing that stops him would be a health related issue, and then only if it was a life threatening thing and not a "Bobby B mental decline."

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest issue they have right now, IMO, is they have not found the right DC since Kirby left. If he figures that out, they will be the best team in the country again. Their defense really is not up to the Bama standard.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, there will be articles and talk, but it's really up to him. It is strange for Alabama and Clemson to both be out of it before December.
Pretty good take.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I said it a few weeks ago, that Bama is going to make changes in the offseason especially on offense. Bill O'Brien does not have the same type of players that Lame and the Drunk had, but if you watch them for 2 years now, they get zero off off their initial pass route action on pass plays. They make plays only when the QB ad libs. that is a combo of talent and also the play designs. Defensively they look a lot like us when they blitz, which is consistently on 3rd down. I think the biggest disappointment to Satan has been the CB technique play. Yes CB play all over CFB is awful but CB's are Satan's personal hands own position, so I know it is killing him. Also they have been extremely undisciplined in the stoopid penalty dept. this year, and that also falls upon the head coach.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It seems like the last couple years, the Bama defense has fallen off from the level we were use to seeing for so long. Not like it can be a talent issue.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that things in Bamaland are not so joyous anymore but I am not ready to say that Saban is through.
I do believe that we are seeing the beginning of the end. That is, Saban always performed and acted like he could stay on top for another decade until the last couple of seasons.
I do now believe that he will call it quits in the next 2-3 years

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It seems like the last couple years, the Bama defense has fallen off from the level we were use to seeing for so long. Not like it can be a talent issue.

He’s losing a lot of the kids he used to have locked down. The emergence of uga has hit him hard. Now you have kids like Collins, Denson and others that he used to be able to take and are now going to UF. Similar with McClain. Five years ago, he’s going to Alabama. Now, it’s Saban that’s the hat on the table.

I don’t know whether he’s done or not. But the ground has shifted beneath him quite a bit, and he’s not able to completely out-talent 90% of his games. At least two of his annual rivals have upgraded their staff(ut, Lsu) and Smart is his own animal that he’s have to get through to accomplish anything. Now UF seems to have gained some traction. Who knows what happens at Auburn. I’ve also said from day one of NIL that it in no way benefits a school like Alabama. The exact opposite actually.

So there are plenty of reasons to think he could be seeing his dominance fade and step away. Just the fact that he will have had Bryce Young for 2 years and not managed to win it all is unheard of by their ‘09–‘20 standard.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've always said and thought that he wants to one up the Bear. It might be harder now and as time goes. It's definitely going to have to be sooner rather than later.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
We have this conversation everytime they lose. They won it all in 2020. If not for injuries to their starting 2 first round pick receivers, they repeat last year.
But that's just it. With NIL, They aren't gonna be able to keep pulling five stars out of their asses every time a starter sits.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
He definitely looked like it was taking a toll on him. He just looked….older. I hope it’s caught up to him and he hangs it up soon. Or better yet that he pulls a JoePa/BobbyB and runs it into the ground

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest issue they have right now, IMO, is they have not found the right DC since Kirby left. If he figures that out, they will be the best team in the country again. Their defense really is not up to the Bama standard.
This I agree with. That defense has lost it's edge since kirby left. Just hasn't been the same. Despite bama continuing to recruit at a crazy high clip, kirby has probably eaten into some of the players he'd be signing right now had kirby not left. That being said, everyone said saban was done when Oklahoma beat em in that bowl game

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
But that's just it. With NIL, They aren't gonna be able to keep pulling five stars out of their asses every time a starter sits.
Rumor is bama and Georgia don't have to pay the crazy money miami and some of these other schools. They have a proven system of making dudes rich.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I've always said and thought that he wants to one up the Bear. It might be harder now and as time goes. It's definitely going to have to be sooner rather than later.
I think he has one upped the Bear already. I saw them both, though not Bear's very early years at UK or ATM, but I still say Satan is the best college football coach ever regardless of what happens going forward.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think he has one upped the Bear already. I saw them both, though not Bear's very early years at UK or ATM, but I still say Satan is the best college football coach ever regardless of what happens going forward.
I think it is more that Nick has 7 total, Bear has 6. Think he really wants that 7th at Bama to one up the Bear as I mentioned.

No doubt he is the best in comparison. But definitely different times. Saw BB coach that last game between UF/Bama at Florida Field, think we got killed 40-0.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
While I think this is absolutely the case, they have still won two Nattys since Kirby left. Amazing to think they aren't what they used to be but have still had phenomenal success.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Saban has never fired a coordinator that I am aware of. The time to start is RIGHT NOW. Both coordinators are horrible, especially O'Brien. If Bama had Kirby as DC and Kiffin as OC we would not have lost a game for over 2 years, PERIOD. I have no idea why Saban decided to go for the two point conversion twice this past Saturday but if he had kicked just one of those extra points instead Bama would have won 25-24 in regulation. Stupid decision that is on no one other than Saban.
As for playing defense, our secondary play very carelessly and recklessly. They are horrible in man coverage and have to resort to PI to keep from giving up big yards but still give up the 15 yard penalties, i.e. big yards. Saban used to be very hands-on with those guys. Not sure if that is still the case or not but it certainly doesn't seem like he does as much for the last few years. Also the entire team doesn't seem to have very much intensity. Saban needs to also fire his intinsity coach and hire someone that can get the job done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator