Saban hires Mike Locksley to "analyst" position

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Another great hire for Saban's support staff. Notice, Locksley - a former D1 head football coach - does not have experience as a HS basketball coach....

(from coaching search):

Alabama: Analyst Mike Locksley will earn $45,000 annually, according to AL.com. Locksley earned nearly $900,000 last year as Maryland offensive coordinator / interim head coach.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/07/former_maryland_oc_mike_locksl.html

Mike Locksley took a significant pay cut to join Alabama's staff after spending the last four seasons as Maryland's offensive coordinator.

Locksley made $898,940 last season at Maryland, according to USA Today's salary database, after receiving a $250,000 supplement on top of his base salary for taking over as interim head coach when Randy Edsall was fired on Oct. 11. Locksley, who arrived at Alabama in March, had one year left on his Maryland deal at nearly $650,000 annually though it's unclear how much of that he will receive in 2016 after not joining new head coach D.J. Durkin's staff.

As an offensive analyst at Alabama, Locksley doesn't have a contract and will make $45,000 annually, according to records obtained by AL.com. Locksley was the 14th highest-paid assistant nationally last year and the highest-paid in the Big Ten, according to USA Today.

Locksley was formerly the head coach at New Mexico and has a 2-26 career head coaching record. He is well known for his recruiting prowess in the Washington, D.C. and Maryland areas. The renowned recruiter has also previously coached at Florida, Illinois and Army.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
who really thinks that Locksley will be there that long, and would actually work for $45k/year? I mean come on, that's more than what urg makes (and honestly - most of the rest of the board). :suspect:

He's definitely still getting paid by Maryland and simply saw an opportunity to supplement his income while he mulls over where to go next (waiting on the the next offer - he could easily be gone by the fall).

Who really believes that former head coaches are a dime a dozen and begging for gigs that pay 5% of their normal salary?

great short term hire by Saban, but it'll only last until that Maryland $ runs out.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
who really thinks that Locksley will be there that long, and would actually work for $45k/year? I mean come on, that's more than what urg makes (and honestly - most of the rest of the board). :suspect:

He's definitely still getting paid by Maryland and simply saw an opportunity to supplement his income while he mulls over where to go next (waiting on the the next offer - he could easily be gone by the fall).

Who really believes that former head coaches are a dime a dozen and begging for gigs that pay 5% of their normal salary?

great short term hire by Saban, but it'll only last until that Maryland $ runs out.

Wow. This whole thing really went right over your head. Of course he's not staying there long. He's not a 23 year old recent college grad. He's there for 1 year to share information w/ Saban and lend his knowledge in certain recruiting areas. Saban is basically paying for a consultant that has heavily recruited Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Maryland for the last 5 years. He's getting a former OC from the Big 10, who has played Urban Meyer's team recently. He's getting an extra set of eyes on his team....and for only $45,000. Now, Locksley can go out and say, "I spent a year at Alabama learning Saban's system....." and land another high paying OC or position coach job. It's a win-win for both parties. He's a freaking "analyst". This isn't about long term work....

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. This whole thing really went right over your head. Of course he's not staying there long. He's not a 23 year old recent college grad. He's there for 1 year to share information w/ Saban and lend his knowledge in certain recruiting areas. Saban is basically paying for a consultant that has heavily recruited Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Maryland for the last 5 years. He's getting a former OC from the Big 10, who has played Urban Meyer's team recently. He's getting an extra set of eyes on his team....and for only $45,000. Now, Locksley can go out and say, "I spent a year at Alabama learning Saban's system....." and land another high paying OC or position coach job. It's a win-win for both parties. He's a freaking "analyst". This isn't about long term work....

nothing went over my head - stop making a big deal out of another team hiring someone that Mac didn't.
EVERY time a hire is made at an another institution, someone on here points out the worst person on the UF staff and compares them.
get a grip - if you think Saban only hires former football coaches as analysts you're sad (or else I am for believing he doesn't)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
nothing went over my head - stop making a big deal out of another team hiring someone that Mac didn't.
EVERY time a hire is made at an another institution, someone on here points out the worst person on the UF staff and compares them.
get a grip - if you think Saban only hires former football coaches as analysts you're sad (or else I am for believing he doesn't)

Oh. I'm sorry I pissed in your cereal. You should have just said that in your first post...instead of saying "Ohhhhh...he's not staying there long for only $45,000!! Plenty of people on here make more than that!!!" You really got your point across in that solid first post! Keep up the good work. And yes, I think hiring a former HS basketball coach that has never coached HS or college football is a pretty weak hire. But that's just me. You can get back to the sunshine pumping now....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Locksley was a hell of a recruiter when he was here.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Locksley can recruit and Saban is all about getting more talent. It's a good move for both sides.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh. I'm sorry I pissed in your cereal. You should have just said that in your first post...instead of saying "Ohhhhh...he's not staying there long for only $45,000!! Plenty of people on here make more than that!!!" You really got your point across in that solid first post! Keep up the good work. And yes, I think hiring a former HS basketball coach that has never coached HS or college football is a pretty weak hire. But that's just me. You can get back to the sunshine pumping now....

So basically the point of this thread was to pick a fight. Got it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
And yes, I think hiring a former HS basketball coach that has never coached HS or college football is a pretty weak hire. But that's just me.

Spin this another way and we can say "Saban hires 'consultant' who went 2-26 in the SunBelt Conference" Not a great hire based on that aspect.

Better than a HS Basketball coach, I'll agree.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather have the basketball coach. Nobody breaks down film like a basketball coach.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Great hire by Saban. Locksley is an idiot. Out of sight, out of mind. He'll be forgotten quickly as an analyst.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Robin of Locksley? Never heard of her...

11591893_gal.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Locksley is a stud recruiter. Id fire pretty much anyone on the O staff to hire him. He may be measuring the drapes in Half Kiff's office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator