Season opener against Miami moved up 1 week; expect huge national audience

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't mind either way. It's only a 2 hour drive for me. However, this would suck big time if you were flying in. It's not easy getting airlines to shift travel dates.
It is fvkking February. Do people really think they wont he able to change their tickets?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't whipping Miami in front of a much bigger TV audience be good for us? If we're the only game on, a hell of a lot more people are going to be tuning in.
Im tired of scrotUM fans already. I wish we could get their azzbeating out of the way in June or July.

Last edited:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So weird to try to change the date this late. Does this mean we'll have a bye week in-between scUM and the following game?
Nice to have that extra bye week to prepare for that juggernaut, Tennessee Martin.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I don’t care about the bye weeks or the date change let’s just get to the football season already...I’m excited for the spring game just to watch my gators play

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
It is fvkking February. Do people really think they wont he able to change their tickets?
Clearly you don't comprehend well. I said it won't be easy. I stand by that. Never said it was impossible. I'm sure for some travelers this will be a hindrance. If not insurmountable.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
After looking at the week 1 schedule why the hell would they move this game? The UF Miami game is already the biggest game of that week. Fight to make it a prime time game and leave it the fck alone.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The last thing you need after the season opener is a bye. You're trying to get new players accustomed to working together and to generate momentum. Sitting a week is not going to help, but if it happens, it happens.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think it is pretty awkward. Don't like losing a week of practice before the season for a big game. But I think it favors us overall since Miami has a bunch of new coaches and vision.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'll be in Orlando that week for a conference, there's a big banquet on Saturday night (the 24th). If this game happens (on the 24th), you can bet your ass I'll be figuring out a way to get out of the banquet!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The last thing you need after the season opener is a bye. You're trying to get new players accustomed to working together and to generate momentum. Sitting a week is not going to help, but if it happens, it happens.

exactly, it would disrupt the ability to get the team to get into a routine.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF released a statement.

Camping World Kickoff: Update on Potential Date Change for UF-Miami Season Opener - Florida Gators

• This past December, Florida, Miami and Florida Citrus Sports were approached by ESPN, who had the College Football 150th organization's support (the entity overseeing the upcoming season-long celebration), to explore interest in moving the Camping World Kickoff game in Orlando to Aug. 24 as part of a special kick-off day celebrating the sport's 150th anniversary season. This is a unique and rare opportunity that would showcase college football, both storied programs, and the state of Florida. In January, a waiver was submitted to the NCAA seeking approval to move the game under this premise. Both schools, along with ESPN, College Football 150th Anniversary organization and Florida Citrus Sports, understand that fans, and the teams themselves, need time to make necessary arrangements should the waiver be granted. A decision is anticipated shortly.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@slmandel: Florida put out a statement with more context about the potential Aug. 24 opener. It was proposed by ESPN to serve as a kickoff to their CFB 150th anniversary campaign. NCAA waiver was submitted in January.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
150th year of football me thinks there will be quite a bit of throw backs this year. Could we maybe see an interlocking UF helmet or the dark blue helmet with an f in the center of a football?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like American Cheese on my Ham Sammy!

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I'll be in Orlando that week for a conference, there's a big banquet on Saturday night (the 24th). If this game happens (on the 24th), you can bet your ass I'll be figuring out a way to get out of the banquet!
I volunteer to call you at whatever time you'd like with an emergency that you must attend to immediately.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I think it is pretty awkward. Don't like losing a week of practice before the season for a big game. But I think it favors us overall since Miami has a bunch of new coaches and vision.

We won't lose a week of practice. Mullen will adjust the schedule so we get the allowed number of hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.