SEC Basketball coaching changes

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Hard to believe Pelphrey and Grant got fired so Arky and Bama could hire coaches who could do no better.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Alabama moves quickly and hires Nate Oats from Buffalo. That’s a great hire.

Alabama names Nate Oats its next men's basketball coach

It is a great hire.....IF he can recruit. I like the hire a lot. Alabama AD seems to do a good job w/ his hires.

The Mark Fox hire at UGA a few years ago was a great hire also. He went 123-43 at Nevada (Oats is 97-43; same number of losses as Fox). Fox has lasted a long time at UGA, but he's still sub-.500 in SEC play at UGA. He just can't seem to recruit well enough.

I know it's Captain Obvious, but it seems these mid-major hires happen every year and the one's that succeed seem to recruit better than the others. With the class Mike White has coming in, he may be able to hang onto his job a few more years.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is a great hire.....IF he can recruit. I like the hire a lot. Alabama AD seems to do a good job w/ his hires.

The Mark Fox hire at UGA a few years ago was a great hire also. He went 123-43 at Nevada (Oats is 97-43; same number of losses as Fox). Fox has lasted a long time at UGA, but he's still sub-.500 in SEC play at UGA. He just can't seem to recruit well enough.

I know it's Captain Obvious, but it seems these mid-major hires happen every year and the one's that succeed seem to recruit better than the others. With the class Mike White has coming in, he may be able to hang onto his job a few more years.
Fox was fired last year from UGA but I agree with what you’re saying.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Fox was fired last year from UGA but I agree with what you’re saying.

Yep. Look at others (like Billy D's former assistants):

Anthony Grant - succeeded at VCU, got the UF job (then lost it), gets the Alabama job....fired.

John Pelphrey - succeeds at South Alabama...gets the Arkansas job, fired.

Shaka Smart - final four at VCU....and is on the hot seat at Texas.

The good thing is they are financially set for life - and very likely land a top assistant job making $250K or more. But, I'm sure they'd rather have succeeded at their head coaching gig. Bottom line; hiring a mid-major coach is a crap shoot.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UCLA looking at going after Jamie Dixon from TCU and formerly Pitt

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

To say he was off Billy's tree is a stretch. He was with Billy for 3-4 years. He was more off the Barnes coaching tree as he was an assistant with Barnes at Texas twice and Tennessee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.