SEC vs. ACC Acceptance Standards

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
A number of years ago, I met Danny Hall, Georgia Tech's Baseball Coach, while he was scouting some players in Suburban Ga. I noted that he probably had a challenge academically to get kids into GT but at least that was the same for Duke and UNC. He took issue with that saying that both of those schools had "programs" to accept kids that GT would not accept.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A number of years ago, I met Danny Hall, Georgia Tech's Baseball Coach, while he was scouting some players in Suburban Ga. I noted that he probably had a challenge academically to get kids into GT but at least that was the same for Duke and UNC. He took issue with that saying that both of those schools had "programs" to accept kids that GT would not accept.
Tech seems to be extremely rigid with their acceptance standards. It's one reason why their fan base accepts 7-5 seasons and long losing streaks to the Dwags.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's one reason why their fan base accepts 7-5 seasons and long losing streaks to the Dwags.
That makes no sense. Even if your acceptance standards are higher than everyone else in your conference (other than Vandy), you're still supposed to win the NC every year!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That makes no sense. Even if your acceptance standards are higher than everyone else in your conference (other than Vandy), you're still supposed to win the NC every year!
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if we quit trying to pretend it matters. Even though we do have higher standards than most of our competition, the vast majority we let in wouldn't qualify as simply a student.

Jun 2, 2015
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if we quit trying to pretend it matters. Even though we do have higher standards than most of our competition, the vast majority we let in wouldn't qualify as simply a student.

MJM, unfortunately, I feel you are 100% correct.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When your recruiting sucks, you must claim:
Other teams are paying their players;
Other teams are taking kids too dumb for your school;
Other teams are taking thugs; or
Our coaches can spot the real gems in the rough.

It's the excuses that GT, ND, Purdue, Iowa State, and other losers have used for decades. Tried and true.

Also, UVA, UNC, and Wake are really good schools. Better than GT for sure.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Spurrier bitched about the academic requirements and in fact he made it a condition of his employment at USCe that he would be allowed a certain amount of exemptions. Fact is, it happens. Kids don't qualify here they go to the competition. Personally I'm of two school of thoughts. Either drop scholarships all together or play by the same rules a everybody else. Like MJM says let's quit pretending it matters. We are maintaining a standard that essentially boils down to our intellectual midgets are smarter than your intellectual midgets. Beggars can't be choosers and right now we are in the role of beggars. When we become winners and have all the recruits that we can handle then we can afford to turn our nose up at the intellectually challenged.

Oh and shout out to UM for being a fine academic institution. I still hate the Athletic Department though.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure if you have a learning disability it allows fro all kinds of academic help.

It is a way to provide extras to the dumb kids.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure if you have a learning disability it allows fro all kinds of academic help.

It is a way to provide extras to the dumb kids.
So you equate learning disability to dumb? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So you equate learning disability to dumb? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

The learning disabilities are "an excuse" to provide extras. I saw the special. They are diagnosed with a learning disability whether they have one or not so the school can basically do their work for them. It is crazy. They are abusing the "learning disability" designation.

You took it completely wrong. It is offensive to people with actual learning disabilities.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Amp Lee was illiterate... couldn't read a word. Would try to memorize a few things to write in an English class a TA I knew taught. The TA came to UF for his PhD and lived across the hall from me at Gatorwood. He tried to give Amp Lee a "D", but was persuaded to do otherwise.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Amp Lee was illiterate... couldn't read a word. Would try to memorize a few things to write in an English class a TA I knew taught. The TA came to UF for his PhD and lived across the hall from me at Gatorwood. He tried to give Amp Lee a "D", but was persuaded to do otherwise.
His real name was Tayshawn Jackson, but everytime he tried to write it...it looked like Amp Lee, so they said it was just easier to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.