Shortcoming in recruiting puts UF behind the eight ball in tough SEC

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since Cam Newton (2007), what quarterback have we recruited who was worth being a starter? Shouldn't we be getting at least a starter worthly qb every other year?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n93898 said:
Most coordinators who bothered watching a few hours of film. could guess a large number of our plays
It's not just UF that he consistently nails. It's basically every game he calls, quite impressive IMO.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;94011 said:
Law98gator;n93898 said:
Most coordinators who bothered watching a few hours of film. could guess a large number of our plays
It's not just UF that he consistently nails. It's basically every game he calls, quite impressive IMO.

Best commentator on TV IMO.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n93621 said:
Don't shoot the messenger, but I think Danielson is a pretty fair and intelligent guy. It pains me to hear this but I cant refute it with what we see on the field

Danielson is the only analyst that doesn't fill the airways with constant claptrap, viz Jesse Palmer and company.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n91748 said:
Why aren't we using that young TE at all. He looked like he could catch the ball in the spring game. Muschamp must not like his blocking enough I guess.

Goolsby could be used as a TE lining up in the slot to draw LB's and safety's out of the box which would be more valuable to our running game than another blocker crowding the LOS. Notice also that we never use the H or TE in seem routes which was a staple of Ropers offense at Duke. We seem to do everything that goes against getting our guys in space, pardon the over used term.
I am a big fan of run heavy offenses myself but in our case we rarely ever run wide to stretch the defense and we line up in the same exact formation EVERY SINGLE TIME WE RUN THE BALL. Either Roper is not that good against real defenses or he's been brain washed.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n94725 said:
Goolsby could be used as a TE lining up in the slot to draw LB's and safety's out of the box which would be more valuable to our running game than another blocker crowding the LOS. Notice also that we never use the H or TE in seem routes which was a staple of Ropers offense at Duke. We seem to do everything that goes against getting our guys in space, pardon the over used term.
I am a big fan of run heavy offenses myself but in our case we rarely ever run wide to stretch the defense and we line up in the same exact formation EVERY SINGLE TIME WE RUN THE BALL. Either Roper is not that good against real defenses or he's been brain washed.

I think its the latter Crete. Maybe we'll see something different this weekend with Harris. I still say its all on WM. 3 OC's in 4 years and the same common denominator is WM/JD. On the TE's its almost like when McGee got hurt they pulled the plug on the position. I know they may not think there is any one that can help there, but WM recruited it. He just can't coach it.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n93621 said:
I was watching the SEC network yesterday afternoon and they had Gary Danielson on talking about different teams and who has the inside track to the playoff, etc. The topic moved to the cocktail party and what to expect. Danielson sort of sighed and said the following (paraphrasing):

When I first transitioned over from the Big 12 in the 90s and started doing the SEC games I was always stunned by the speed and athleticism of the kids florida had stockpiled each year. Each year you compare them to the other top teams, like Tennessee back then who was a consistent top 5 team and even compared to them Florida was just visibly better. It waned a bit during Zook but they still had a wealth of talent, especially on the defensive side, and then when Meyer was there noone was even close. But now when I look a them I just wonder who is going to make a play? Who is it going to be that can get open in space and make a guy miss? Who is going to take charge of the offense and make the throws in crunch time. Compared to other top SEC teams, they just dont have anyone that measures up.

He also said it is going to take a monumental effort coupled with all the 50/50 fluke plays bouncing our way for us to get out of there with a W.
Don't shoot the messenger, but I think Danielson is a pretty fair and intelligent guy. It pains me to hear this but I cant refute it with what we see on the field.

Why would anyone shoot the messenger? Danielson speaking the plain truth, there. GD is my favorite announcer, just wish he wasn't paired up with that dunce Vern.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n94760 said:
Why would anyone shoot the messenger? Danielson speaking the plain truth, there. GD is my favorite announcer, just wish he wasn't paired up with that dunce Vern.

Gary Danielson is one of those guys who looks like he smells like pee

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n93898 said:
He was a pretty good but not great NFL QB. He sees the field.

To be fair, since the Mullen days, we've been completely predictable on offense. Most coordinators who bothered watching a few hours of film. could guess a large number of our plays just because of the formations.

Gary does in all games not just FL games. Dude can really see what's happening before it does.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
@JamieNewberg: STAT OF THE DAY- 27 (5 &4 STAR) recruits from the Fla. are committed & NONE are committed to the #florida #gators

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n95109 said:
@JamieNewberg: STAT OF THE DAY- 27 (5 &4 STAR) recruits from the Fla. are committed & NONE are committed to the #florida #gators
If you had told me a few years ago something like this could happen I would have laughed in your face.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n95109 said:

I don't know what list is being used, but this is how it looks according to Rivals100 for the in-state 5-Star recruits for 2015 in order of appearance:

DE / Bryon Cowart / Seffner, FL / UF is on the list
DB / Derwin James / Haines City, FL / FSU
WR / Calvin Ridley / Coconut Creek, FL / Alabama
OL / Martez Ivey / Apopka, FL / UF is on the list
DE / CeCe Jefferson / Glen St. Mary, FL / UF is on the list
DB / Kevin Toliver II / Jax, FL / LSU
RB / Jacques Patrick / Orlando, FL / FSU
ATH / Ray-Ray McLoud III / Tampa, FL / Clemson
DB / Tavares McFadden / Plantation, FL / FSU

I guess the key word in the quote from Jamie is "committed" and that would be correct for both 4* and 5*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.