Show recommendation thread

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Breaking Bad always comes to mind - from the suspense, the perfect wrap up to the two main character's relationship and, of course, the perfect song to go along with it.

The Wire - good wrap up as well.
I remember Breaking Bad, that might be a good one. I loved The Wire, but I honestly can't remember how it wrapped up.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I remember Breaking Bad, that might be a good one. I loved The Wire, but I honestly can't remember how it wrapped up.

SPOILER ALERT:

The Wire ended when it came out that McNulty rigged the serial killer investigation and they had a 'Memorial' service for him at their regular bar. He ends up taking the homeless guy that he "used" to help his fake crimes and dropped him off at a facility. They do a little vignette of the other characters and where they ended up.

There was also an HBO series called 'Six Feet Under' - lots of great actors in that one (including 'Dexter'). It was wrapped up very well.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think its ever easy to finish off a long running series. What is the best ending to a series that you guys remember? Its hard to think of one off the top of my head.
I’m with Ditty Breaking Bad playing Crystal Blue Persuasion in the final sene was pretty great way to end it.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I’m with Ditty Breaking Bad playing Crystal Blue Persuasion in the final sene was pretty great way to end it.

not to drop a turd in the punch bowl RR, but I think it was Badfinger - ‘Baby Blue’ for the final song. BUT- that might just be my Pete Ham bias making me misremember. So I could be mistaken

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
not to drop a turd in the punch bowl RR, but I think it was Badfinger - ‘Baby Blue’ for the final song. BUT- that might just be my Pete Ham bias making me misremember. So I could be mistaken
Could be Baby blue
My recollection was Tommy James Crystal Blue Persuasion

PS was curious so Googled it , you were right. I must have been on drugs that night

PSS Crystal Blue Persuasion was used in season 5 episode 8

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Could be Baby blue
My recollection was Tommy James Crystal Blue Persuasion

PS was curious so Googled it , you were right. I must have been on drugs that night

I think the earlier inclusion near the end of the series of Marty Robbins' song 'El Paso' was brilliant by the way... somehow it just seemed to fit the moment.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Season 4 of Formula 1: Drive to Survive is now out on Netflix.

Even if you aren't a big racing fan, you'll probably love this show. In fact, if you are a racing fan, knowing who wins all these races ahead of time takes some of the drama away.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix. Pretty entertaining. I do have to watch with the subtitles on though. I found myself stopping a few times an episode and googling some names and places. Most of the characters were real Vikings, so that was kinda cool.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched 1883 last week. I liked it. Sam Elliot is a national treasure. McGraw and Hill were surprisingly good actors. There were a few times where I thought they over-dramatized some of the danger such as the river crossings, tornado etc and it lost a little bit of appeal, but overall it was entertaining and I'd recommend it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Watched 1883 last week. I liked it. Sam Elliot is a national treasure. McGraw and Hill were surprisingly good actors. There were a few times where I thought they over-dramatized some of the danger such as the river crossings, tornado etc and it lost a little bit of appeal, but overall it was entertaining and I'd recommend it.

I noticed that too. The tornado I could see being a first time experience and thus terrifying. But I’m pretty sure they have rivers in Europe as well. And one of them was like 20 feet across, chest high with no real current. The fact that it was a painted as certain death if they even attempted it was over the top. Especially when they needed a 4th opinion over three days to determine whether or not being shot through the abdomen with an arrow would kill the daughter.

I was surprised by the acting of Hill and McGraw as well. Took a little time, particularly with the latter, but they grew on me.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I noticed that too. The tornado I could see being a first time experience and thus terrifying. But I’m pretty sure they have rivers in Europe as well. And one of them was like 20 feet across, chest high with no real current. The fact that it was a painted as certain death if they even attempted it was over the top. Especially when they needed a 4th opinion over three days to determine whether or not being shot through the abdomen with an arrow would kill the daughter.

I was surprised by the acting of Hill and McGraw as well. Took a little time, particularly with the latter, but they grew on me.
Well the real funny thing about the tornado, aside from the ridiculous pre-tornado certainty that the storm was going to bring catastrophic death just by looking at some clouds, was that the millisecond that the tornado disappeared the entire sky was crystal clear blue without a single cloud anywhere :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well the real funny thing about the tornado, aside from the ridiculous pre-tornado certainty that the storm was going to bring catastrophic death just by looking at some clouds, was that the millisecond that the tornado disappeared the entire sky was crystal clear blue without a single cloud anywhere :lol:

I’ve never crossed the plains myself(though I do keep an eye on Kansas), so I had to take their word for it as to how those storms go. I thought the make out session during the ordeal was the more interesting part.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve never crossed the plains myself(though I do keep an eye on Kansas), so I had to take their word for it as to how those storms go. I thought the make out session during the ordeal was the more interesting part.
:lol: Maybe she's Liz Warren's grandmother?

The other thing I couldn't quite wrap my head around was that this took place almost 20 years after the civil war, at a time when the railroads had already connected the coasts? You have to wonder just how darn much a train ticket cost back then to decide that covered wagon through injun country is a better option.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
:lol: Maybe she's Liz Warren's grandmother?

The other thing I couldn't quite wrap my head around was that this took place almost 20 years after the civil war, at a time when the railroads had already connected the coasts? You have to wonder just how darn much a train ticket cost back then to decide that covered wagon through injun country is a better option.

That was mentioned (I think by the cook?) - Too expensive.
And... I think the Sam Elliott character told one of the cowhands that he'd pay for his train ticket back.
So it was an option for those immigrants, but they didn't do it because... racism.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just finished 1883 last night…what a great show but very heavy.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
dd8a775bd565f2106e0501ac656523a8.jpg

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Was somewhat disappointed with first half of Ozark S4 until the last episode....now I can't wait for the second half

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator