Show recommendation thread

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Season1 is HOTD is over. When the show was announced there was a great deal of concern that they would F it up. But the first 8 episodes were mostly good. However, you could begin to see chinks in the armor and those chinks turned into cracks in the last two episodes. The showrunners have changed the character motivations such that it looks like a spat between two women who were once childhood friends. And of course, it's the men pushing them to war. The show is less action and more Dynasty. And, my gawd, there have been so many births shown in all its agonizing glory. When my wife gave birth I stayed at the top end behind the curtain. I honestly don't think men want to watch that and maybe not even all women but they are pouring the #gurlpower on strong. There are other problems too. Like GoT In the later seasons, we see spectacle over logic. Unrealistic scenarios. And the lack of consequences for character actions. The show had promise so it's disappointing.
The show is really geared toward a female audience. NTTAWWT. It's just not my cup o' tea.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Anyone watch Barbarians on Netflix? 2 seasons - you have to dub it in English. Pretty good so far, I'm on episode 4 of season 1.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I just started watching Friday Night Lights. Only a few shows in. Pretty good entertainment. So far.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (2022) <Netflix>

I used to love all the old tv series where each episode is a different 'weird tale' but it's been awhile since I've seen/heard of any such being made. Looks like GDT got a series signed with Netflix. I'm on episode 5/8 so far, and I like it. Each based on some random short story, with their own director and cast/crew, so each is basically stand alone, just stitched together with GTD doing an opening monologue (a la Rod Serling). Each episode is 60min, not too long, not too short. Good characters and storylines in general. Ep1 'Lot 36' was a good bit of the old payback theme, but well carried out. Ep 2 'Graveyard Rats' harkens back to late 1800's or early 1900's and while it goes a bit long for a simple topic, it does give a decent ending with a twist (added characters) in the last act. Ep 3 'The Autopsy' was by far the best in the fist half that I've seen - a bit of sci-fi alien shtuff, but in general a well played take on a similar plot like Fallen with Denzel Washington. Ep4 'The Outside' was a look back to 80's fads for beauty treatments, pretty weak in general, but I'll just say 'meh'.

I'll report back after I've finished the second half, but for now it gets a thumbs up. 8/10

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I used to love all the old tv series where each episode is a different 'weird tale' but it's been awhile since I've seen/heard of any such being made. Looks like GDT got a series signed with Netflix. I'm on episode 5/8 so far, and I like it. Each based on some random short story, with their own director and cast/crew, so each is basically stand alone, just stitched together with GTD doing an opening monologue (a la Rod Serling). Each episode is 60min, not too long, not too short. Good characters and storylines in general. Ep1 'Lot 36' was a good bit of the old payback theme, but well carried out. Ep 2 'Graveyard Rats' harkens back to late 1800's or early 1900's and while it goes a bit long for a simple topic, it does give a decent ending with a twist (added characters) in the last act. Ep 3 'The Autopsy' was by far the best in the fist half that I've seen - a bit of sci-fi alien shtuff, but in general a well played take on a similar plot like Fallen with Denzel Washington. Ep4 'The Outside' was a look back to 80's fads for beauty treatments, pretty weak in general, but I'll just say 'meh'.

I'll report back after I've finished the second half, but for now it gets a thumbs up. 8/10
“The Twilight Zone” and “Hitchcock” were masterpieces weekly back in their day.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All the old Hitchcock shows are on Peacock, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator