SI article: Urban Meyer Belongs in Florida's Ring of Honor

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
No thanks
So what's the point of the ROH? I mean we put Emmitt in. A guy that was a blast to watch when he was here (I was on campus when arrived) and was an All American and SEC player of the year, but he didn't win anything. Since he left, he's said he wished he had gone to UM and considered himself an adopted Cane and more recently posed for photos in Athens wearing Dawg gear. Conversely, Meyer led us to two national titles in three years and then left. Why is it ok for us to have an adopted Cane, Dawg sympathizer that never won squat in the ROH, but not the guy that won 2/3d's of our national titles. Makes no sense.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I think he should and will be in, because the only criterion against him is one, that he did not graduate from UF, and two, that he left our program in shambles.
But number one is not anything the University can justifiably hold against him.
Are we to say that anyone that didn't graduate from UF is automatically excluded?
He brought us two national titles and perhaps the greatest run over our rivals in UF history--even SOS respects that, and let's not forget that he had to beat Spurrier in the process.
Now I'm all about the magic of what Spurrier brought to UF--and there is no doubt that he is the GOAT imo. But Meyer brought the gators back to life, at a time when it was desperately needed.
Now the other thing argued is that Meyer left the program "broken." so the argument against him is that he destroyed the program and left the pieces for the next coach to pick up in an impossible mission.
I don't see it that way.
Fooley--in all his arrogance--rolled the dice and hired a coach that was not qualified. It didn't work and set us back several years; this is not to mention Fooley's lack of investment in the facilities; imagine being a championship coach and having to deal with that idiot!
I understand some of the hate for Urban Meyer, but mostly because he left and, in a sense, abandoned everything he built. But there is a reason for it, and I don't hold it against him.
Next to Spurrier, he is the greatest coach that we've ever had. And he STILL supports the Gators.
He really never stopped loving the Orange and Blue. Yes, he went on to coach his alma mater and win a championship--after having to beat them badly as a Gator.
Sometimes we forget--those Bucknuts have been pretty good to us
So yeah I say let him in.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
So what's the point of the ROH? I mean we put Emmitt in. A guy that was a blast to watch when he was here (I was on campus when arrived) and was an All American and SEC player of the year, but he didn't win anything. Since he left, he's said he wished he had gone to UM and considered himself an adopted Cane and more recently posed for photos in Athens wearing Dawg gear. Conversely, Meyer led us to two national titles in three years and then left. Why is it ok for us to have an adopted Cane, Dawg sympathizer that never won squat in the ROH, but not the guy that won 2/3d's of our national titles. Makes no sense.
Obviously you skipped thru the thread: HONOR
Or lack thereof.

Leaving emmitt off is a separate argument from letting um in

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I think he should and will be in, because the only criterion against him is one, that he did not graduate from UF, and two, that he left our program in shambles.
But number one is not anything the University can justifiably hold against him.
Are we to say that anyone that didn't graduate from UF is automatically excluded?
He brought us two national titles and perhaps the greatest run over our rivals in UF history--even SOS respects that, and let's not forget that he had to beat Spurrier in the process.
Now I'm all about the magic of what Spurrier brought to UF--and there is no doubt that he is the GOAT imo. But Meyer brought the gators back to life, at a time when it was desperately needed.
Now the other thing argued is that Meyer left the program "broken." so the argument against him is that he destroyed the program and left the pieces for the next coach to pick up in an impossible mission.
I don't see it that way.
Fooley--in all his arrogance--rolled the dice and hired a coach that was not qualified. It didn't work and set us back several years; this is not to mention Fooley's lack of investment in the facilities; imagine being a championship coach and having to deal with that idiot!
I understand some of the hate for Urban Meyer, but mostly because he left and, in a sense, abandoned everything he built. But there is a reason for it, and I don't hold it against him.
Next to Spurrier, he is the greatest coach that we've ever had. And he STILL supports the Gators.
He really never stopped loving the Orange and Blue. Yes, he went on to coach his alma mater and win a championship--after having to beat them badly as a Gator.
Sometimes we forget--those Bucknuts have been pretty good to us
So yeah I say let him in.
OSU is not his alma mater.

I really do believe people's lack of knowledge about UM is the only reason they are so adamant he get in.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How did this devolve into a did about Emmitt? I don’t like a lot of what he’s done, but the guy was a beast here, and had a great NFL career.

upload_2020-4-17_23-48-32.jpeg

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Emmitt Smith's in the ring of honor? When did we start lettin Georgia fans in?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
If we were starting a ROH today there should be two automatic qualifiers. The first guy would be Stephen Orr Spurrier. Nobody else even come close. Number two is Urban.

From there its another huge gap to Timmy and Danny and then everyone else. Those who are focused on more humanitarian interests should probably find other things to do with their time than football.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Two wrongs don't make a right. Totally agree with you ... Emmitt shouldn't be in there.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Urban may have the morals and personality of a used car salesman, but he also has two national titles as head coach. The question isn't if, it's when he is induced into the Ring of Honor.
Wait until he’s about to pass.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Urban didn't leave a mess here. We hired the worst coach in the last 40 years to follow him up. He had the #1 recruiting class the signing day before leaving.

He left a mess. His own words ... Broke. And as much as I believe in stars and recruiting rankings do matter, that #1 class was a sham. He meandered around campus that year as a ghost while the '10 team floundered and lost their way. We couldn't even snap the ball. Addazio was in way over his head. It was a mess.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im opposed to Emmitt also. We should paint over the wall and start again.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He left a mess. His own words ... Broke. And as much as I believe in stars and recruiting rankings do matter, that #1 class was a sham. He meandered around campus that year as a ghost while the '10 team floundered and lost their way. We couldn't even snap the ball. Addazio was in way over his head. It was a mess.
That is Foley’s fault. Urbs quit and Foley talked him into to staying on another year in a part time role so he had more time to find the next great coach...Will Mushchamp. :lol:

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
If we were starting a ROH today there should be two automatic qualifiers. The first guy would be Stephen Orr Spurrier. Nobody else even come close. Number two is Urban.

From there its another huge gap to Timmy and Danny and then everyone else. Those who are focused on more humanitarian interests should probably find other things to do with their time than football.

Utter blasphemy to to put UM ahead of DW or TT. Please turn in your Gator Card and man card.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, he sleep walked his way around in 2010 but he left enough talent for a bum like will muschamp to win 11 games with.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Including but not limited to:

1) Wife beater apologist
2) Wife beater cover-up
3) Wife beater cover-up cover-up ("How do you delete all texts from my phone?")
4) Hernandez apologist, cover-up
5) Countless other transgressions swept under the rug
6) Family Time lie
7) Health lies (This one is almost forgivable, he could not publicly say why his heart was almost beating out of his chest)
8) The drugs that almost made his heart beat out of his chest
9) He tried to trick us into giving the job to the Daz
10) He let Percy run Gonzalez off because he could run fast
11) Carlos Hyde 3 game suspension
12) Hid positive drug-tests
13) Kept his Assistants around after racial slurs (the same one that beat the wife)
14) Etc, etc, etc
15) Not one ounce of contrition yet.

Jesus Christ you’re a drama queen. Is almost any of this even validated? And what does any of this have to do with getting into the ring of honor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.