Snakes!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Extreme heat has got the snakes crawling in our neck of the woods. I heard the missus yell “rattlesnake!” when she went to the mailbox just now. This one wasn’t real big, but momma nearly stepped on it. I had just got everything mowed in the yards and by the road yesterday evening, but the grass in the pasture and in the ditches is pretty high.

IMG_2032.jpeg

I know these snakes will help keep rats, mice, and so forth down, but when they’re in the yard where momma and the dogs spend a lot of time, he’s got to go. A lots of times they’ll make you hurt yourself.

Anybody else seeing or experiencing snakes around their parts?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'm no herpetologist but this one couldn't hurt her.
Missing its fangs.

Seriously, though that's scary! We have a lot of rat snakes that I'll see on the mower. Sometimes I try to kill them but leave them alone for the most part since they eat the mice. The rule of thumb for snakes is to kill them if they are around the house.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My next door neighbor killed this 51" Timber rattler a couple of years ago. It was near his chicken coop. Several years ago he killed one that was 48-1/2" long after it bit his Springer Spaniel twice on it's head. The dog lived and even had two litters of puppies later on.

Fifty one with 9 rattles_1 Aug 2023.jpg

He shot it's head...

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Took an old neighbor some fish a couple weeks back and a Pretty good size moccasin was laying in his st augistine grass , the bugger went in the bushes by the time I got back with a pick (only thing I could find)
Got a text a week later it came back out in the same spot and he got it with a 410, right where his dog gos out in the yard

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
My next door neighbor killed this 51" Timber rattler a couple of years ago. It was near his chicken coop. Several years ago he killed one that was 48-1/2" long after it bit his Springer Spaniel twice on it's head. The dog lived and even had two litters of puppies later on.

View attachment 60666

He shot it's head...
Nice try snow flaking that snake to make it appear the snake was armed and your neighbor “had no choice.” I’m sure the corrupt local officials all winked and nodded and ensured the grand jury issued a no true bill. Another case of justice not being served.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Nice try snow flaking that snake to make it appear the snake was armed and your neighbor “had no choice.” I’m sure the corrupt local officials all winked and nodded and ensured the grand jury issued a no true bill. Another case of justice not being served.
Awww yes. The self defense plea.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

View attachment 60666

He shot it's head...
Glad to see we are disarming the snakes. Pretty sure the 2A doesn't apply to them.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Right after Hurricane Ian I was working night shift at the Lee County EOC (Emergency Operations Center). On two sides of the complex were cutover melaleuca swamp. Front desk security heard some screaming - someone headed to the shower trailer had almost stepped on a good sized moccasin. Shortly after it lost weight on the "shovel diet."

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Weird but I finally saw the first black racer in our yard in about 2 years just yesterday. We used to have so many of them you couldn't walk from one end of the yard to the other without seeing at least one of them.

He was very lethargic and didn't haul ass away from me like they usually do. I had nothing in my hand but a fresh cup of scalding hot coffee so I let him have it....that got him moving a little quicker.....and yes I do kill them when I get a chance....probably killed over 30 of them in the last 5 years or so.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Which is why I feel much safer having either a shovel or a hoe whenever I'm mowing the lawn. Not that I needed one, but I bought an Echo SRM 225 weed eater for my lawn and in case a surprise appearance of such slithering in my grass. The largest snake I whacked was a little less than 3ft long, which is one of the 4 that caught the wrath of my expensive ass weed whacker, just this year alone. Of course I finish them off by pounding their heads with the garden hoe or shovel.
I've been advised by my neighbors not to cut my grass so low until I showed them one of my victims.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Extreme heat has got the snakes crawling in our neck of the woods. I heard the missus yell “rattlesnake!” when she went to the mailbox just now. This one wasn’t real big, but momma nearly stepped on it. I had just got everything mowed in the yards and by the road yesterday evening, but the grass in the pasture and in the ditches is pretty high.

View attachment 60662

I know these snakes will help keep rats, mice, and so forth down, but when they’re in the yard where momma and the dogs spend a lot of time, he’s got to go. A lots of times they’ll make you hurt yourself.

Anybody else seeing or experiencing snakes around their parts?
It would be the only time I wouldn't mind having a few stray cats around.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Racists. :shakehead:

iu

Alex.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I don't care for vipers, but snakes are semi-territorial. Vipers will generally stay away from other snake's area although there may be overlap.. So it doesn't hurt to keep a few black snakes, rat snakes, king snakes etc. around. Male snakes are a little more prone to fight for dominance of an area especially if they are mating (but I can't figure out when they have their girlfriends over for a few).

I am not a herpetologist, but we have had a couple of black snakes around the vicinity of our house, and I have not seen a viper in years. Whether it is by inviting a rat snake to your yard or by any other means, vipers should be permanently removed from populated areas.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I don't care for vipers, but snakes are semi-territorial. Vipers will generally stay away from other snake's area although there may be overlap.. So it doesn't hurt to keep a few black snakes, rat snakes, king snakes etc. around. Male snakes are a little more prone to fight for dominance of an area especially if they are mating (but I can't figure out when they have their girlfriends over for a few).

I am not a herpetologist, but we have had a couple of black snakes around the vicinity of our house, and I have not seen a viper in years. Whether it is by inviting a rat snake to your yard or by any other means, vipers should be permanently removed from populated areas using only lethal means.
FIFY... You're welcome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator