So I received my black belt tonight

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Almost 12 years in the making. Finally had the time to devote to training after retiring from Army Reserves. 18 months back training 2-3 times a week. Test went 65 minutes with 2 black belts 4th Dans coming hard. No sparring. 4 rounds of grappling and the rest was Combat Karate (Japanese JuJtsu). At my age, testing doesn't usually go this long. No one was more surprised than me. That is a long GD time and twice as long as my bown belt test 6 years ago.

Yeah, I am kind of proud f myself. Mastered the basics. Real training starts again Monday.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Almost 12 years in the making. Finally had the time to devote to training after retiring from Army Reserves. 18 months back training 2-3 times a week. Test went 65 minutes with 2 black belts 4th Dans coming hard. No sparring. 4 rounds of grappling and the rest was Combat Karate (Japanese JuJtsu). At my age, testing doesn't usually go this long. No one was more surprised than me. That is a long GD time and twice as long as my bown belt test 6 years ago.

Yeah, I am kind of proud f myself. Mastered the basics. Real training starts again Monday.
I got a black and brown belt too. They hang on a hook next to my dress pants. :lol:

Congrats killer!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Congratulations. A truly earned award.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s my preferred means of self defense
Shooting Quentin Tarantino GIF

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Congrats Bush! Something to be truly proud of. When I wa growing up, that was something a bunch of us talked about but never attempted, mostly because there was no gym/dojo in our town. So we did the next best thing…watched Kung Fu movies and practiced in the yard. I was reminded early on that the mental and spiritual parts MA were as important as anything physical.

Working in a tobacco packing house, I was on a small crew that turned the tobacco and there about 5 of us young teenagers working under an adult, Lamar Graddy, who was a legit bad @ss. One day, one of the guys, Robert Baker, a self-professed Karate master, had enough of Lamar chewing on his backside and immediately dropped into a fighting stance, throwing several air kicks to demonstrate his prowess as well as intent. Lamar looked at him and asked “what’s wrong with you, little bother?” Baker replied “I know Karate! I’m fixing to kick your old @ss!” With that, slowly and methodically, Lamar reached in his back pocket and pulled out a handgun. “Is that so? Well, I know Ka-38!” Things went quickly back to as they had been.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Congrats Bush! Something to be truly proud of. When I wa growing up, that was something a bunch of us talked about but never attempted, mostly because there was no gym/dojo in our town. So we did the next best thing…watched Kung Fu movies and practiced in the yard. I was reminded early on that the mental and spiritual parts MA were as important as anything physical.

Working in a tobacco packing house, I was on a small crew that turned the tobacco and there about 5 of us young teenagers working under an adult, Lamar Graddy, who was a legit bad @ss. One day, one of the guys, Robert Baker, a self-professed Karate master, had enough of Lamar chewing on his backside and immediately dropped into a fighting stance, throwing several air kicks to demonstrate his prowess as well as intent. Lamar looked at him and asked “what’s wrong with you, little bother?” Baker replied “I know Karate! I’m fixing to kick your old @ss!” With that, slowly and methodically, Lamar reached in his back pocket and pulled out a handgun. “Is that so? Well, I know Ka-38!” Things went quickly back to as they had been.

I started taking at a dojo in Crestview. An Air Force Special Operations Captain opened it and 6 months after I started he ETS'd and the dojo closed, so much like you I watched kung fu movies. My favorites were Sat morning Kung Fu Theater where the sound and mouth movements don't match up. I still watch those.

When I was young, I had a t shirt that said "I know Karate.............and 4 other Japanese words." That was a lie though. I didn't know those other Japanese words.

The biggest thing I have learned is the longer you train, the more you realize how much you don't know. That is what is scary. I guess most professions are like that though. This has been a life long dream of mine. I have accomplished a lot, pretty much all my lifelong goals at the ripe age of 54. Honestly though, I am too damn hard headed to quit anything. My only goal left is to die in the throws of passion being shot by a jealous husband.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My oldest brother took a college elective class in karate. He grew more and more interested in it and kept learning eventually gaining his black belt. He has been teaching karate for several years now. If I lived closer I would probably take lessons from him.

Congrats on your accomplishment.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Congratulations. Great accomplishment and damn, going on that long for the final test is damned impressive.
Once your adrenalin starts pumping in something like that, It' physically wears your ass out.
I'm about 10 years older than you, not sure I could have made it through a test like that, for that long.
Good stuff, Impressive.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I started taking at a dojo in Crestview. An Air Force Special Operations Captain opened it and 6 months after I started he ETS'd and the dojo closed, so much like you I watched kung fu movies. My favorites were Sat morning Kung Fu Theater where the sound and mouth movements don't match up. I still watch those.

When I was young, I had a t shirt that said "I know Karate.............and 4 other Japanese words." That was a lie though. I didn't know those other Japanese words.

The biggest thing I have learned is the longer you train, the more you realize how much you don't know. That is what is scary. I guess most professions are like that though. This has been a life long dream of mine. I have accomplished a lot, pretty much all my lifelong goals at the ripe age of 54. Honestly though, I am too damn hard headed to quit anything. My only goal left is to die in the throws of passion being shot by a jealous husband.
Keep t's mom out of this

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017

Congratulations on your 1st Dan. What style? I am working on my 3rd Degree Brown in Al Tracy's Kenpo. I can only imagine what a 60+ minute test is going to be like, I am working on Long 4 (along with the 3rd Brown techniques) and that wears me out, and that only goes 4 minutes.

I am about your age, and have been working to drop the weight to get into better shape a I approach black belt (hopefully in 2 years). I've dropped 30 pounds since COVID and am looking to get rid of 20 more.

Sincere congratulations, that is a fantastic accomplishment.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Congratulations on your 1st Dan. What style? I am working on my 3rd Degree Brown in Al Tracy's Kenpo. I can only imagine what a 60+ minute test is going to be like, I am working on Long 4 (along with the 3rd Brown techniques) and that wears me out, and that only goes 4 minutes.

I am about your age, and have been working to drop the weight to get into better shape a I approach black belt (hopefully in 2 years). I've dropped 30 pounds since COVID and am looking to get rid of 20 more.

Sincere congratulations, that is a fantastic accomplishment.

Zen Ketsugo Jujitsu. Its Japanese Jujutsu. We blend 3 styles into 1. Japanese submission wrestling, Japanese Karate, and a Hapkido/Akido/Judo mix. Most of the black belts have a black belt in another discipline. 3 instructors have Taekwondo backgrounds, 1 wing chun, 1 Shotokan and Kyokushin. Its a hodge podge of different styles and constantly tweaked.

A buddy and client has a dojo in the next town and has invited me to train there. He teaches Chuck Norris style Chun Kuk Do. Its not a traditional style though. Would like a traditional style belt.

I have been he Uke for several black belt tests. I think these guys just want to see if you are going to quit and how much you can take .

I will say I am sore as hell today, I mean like I have played in a football game sore.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Congrats! Awesome accomplishment and great way to stay in shape!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator