Some Mondays suck worse than most

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Anyone up for a helicopter tour of the Waimea Canyon?

PoMTuWj.jpg

These are the fluted cliffs of the Waimea Canyon at the Na Pali coast.

hKRey4e.jpg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Here are some pics that I took yesterday on a hike to a waterfall in Waimea canyon.
This is a small pool near the top of the very tall series of falls. The pool was deep enough that some people were diving into it.
7UZ4BEs.jpg

Another small falls down stream from the pool maybe 50 yards.
8FBLjv7.jpg

I basically turned 180 degrees to take this pic. It is just before the first HUGE drop.
fx3zxmr.jpg

This is looking over the edge to the bottom of the first large falls to a plateau. You can see the water as it is about to take another very large plunge to the next plateau.
4ClSRLK.jpg

Each of the two large falls are probably 100-150' drop, maybe even higher. This was the farthest point of the 1.9 mile hike down into the canyon. There were points in the hike where the ledge was just a few feet away and one could easily slide right over the edge to their next life if they aren't careful. Absolutely stunning views...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Here are some pics that I took yesterday on a hike to a waterfall in Waimea canyon.
This is a small pool near the top of the very tall series of falls. The pool was deep enough that some people were diving into it.
7UZ4BEs.jpg

Another small falls down stream from the pool maybe 50 yards.
8FBLjv7.jpg

I basically turned 180 degrees to take this pic. It is just before the first HUGE drop.
fx3zxmr.jpg

This is looking over the edge to the bottom of the first large falls to a plateau. You can see the water as it is about to take another very large plunge to the next plateau.
4ClSRLK.jpg

Each of the two large falls are probably 100-150' drop, maybe even higher. This was the farthest point of the 1.9 mile hike down into the canyon. There were points in the hike where the ledge was just a few feet away and one could easily slide right over the edge to their next life if they aren't careful. Absolutely stunning views...

what a grind...
your job must really wear on you.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
what a grind...
your job must really wear on you.
Yeah, it's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it... ;) I'm scheduled to leave for home Saturday the 29th. Also supposed to come back out here at the end of June for just under 6 weeks...:dance: Racking up the per diem though... Mrs. Nalt will be very happy about that...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I went on an easy 5 mile hike today along Shipwreck Beach. The water is incredibly beautiful with many shades of blue water. The pics I took simply don't do justice to how beautiful the place is.

Qin0VlL.jpg

08CakaU.jpg

GSbsd8o.jpg

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Been to Kauai many times - it’s our favorite island. Least touristy and easy to get from one end to the other.
Hanalei in the morning is heaven - my favorite place on earth.
West side beach is great for guaranteed sun.
Limahuli gardens on the north end has a nice little self guided hike.
Shaved ice and the roadside chicken stand in Kapa’a are traditional stops.
Breneke’s in Poipu is also a great spot.
Wish I was there!

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Been to Kauai many times - it’s our favorite island. Least touristy and easy to get from one end to the other.
Hanalei in the morning is heaven - my favorite place on earth.
West side beach is great for guaranteed sun.
Limahuli gardens on the north end has a nice little self guided hike.
Shaved ice and the roadside chicken stand in Kapa’a are traditional stops.
Breneke’s in Poipu is also a great spot.
Wish I was there!
I love Hanalei but it has been a few years since I was there in the morning. Kapa'a is great too. FTR, it is "shave" ice, no "d" required. ;) Breneke's is just up the road from my hotel. I do hope to go there for a meal before I head for home. Also want to eat at Keoke's too. Paco's Tacos is a great little joint. They also have very good entertainment on Sunday evenings including some karaoke. NO, I don't sing...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I finally made it home this evening. I left my hotel on Kauai on Sunday evening at about 6:00 p.m. Hawaii time and arrived at my home at about 6:00 p.m. Central time this evening. With the time difference that made it a 17 hour trip with the three flights. Lihue to Seattle, Seattle to Atlanta, and Atlanta to Huntsville. Glad to be home but it isn't going to last long as I'll be going back to Kauai on 29 June for another 5 weeks.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Getting ready for trip #2 to Kauai. I'll be flying out on 6 July for roughly another month. Mrs. Nalt and the two boys are going with me but they will only stay about 12 days. My middle daughter will be flying over from Bluffton, SC to join us too for a week. The boys will be happy about seeing her as it will be a total surprise for them...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Getting ready for trip #2 to Kauai. I'll be flying out on 6 July for roughly another month. Mrs. Nalt and the two boys are going with me but they will only stay about 12 days. My middle daughter will be flying over from Bluffton, SC to join us too for a week. The boys will be happy about seeing her as it will be a total surprise for them...

Love this and so happy that Mrs Nalt and kids can go too this time.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
So the suckiest Monday of my original post has been outdone.

We left Kauai last night at 8:05 p.m. Hawaii time (1:05 a.m. Central time) and flew through the night until we landed in Denver this morning around 6:50 a.m. Mountain time. My next flight was to leave for Houston at 7:50 but after everyone was boarded the crew announced that they didn't have a pilot. No, I didn't volunteer to fly the plane... So they had us to deplane until they could arrange a pilot. After a little while they told us we would fly at 9:15 so we went and boarded the plane again. I asked while walking on the plane if the pilot was there yet. No, he was on his way though. So we all got seated and a short time later the pilot came over the intercom apologizing for the delay. He had to do some checks but after about 30 minutes we were pushed back from the gate. We taxied out to the runway and stopped. We sat there. And sat there. And sat there until the pilot finally announced that he got a "message status" that he would need to check. He then came back and said there was an issue with the fuel pump filter and that he needed to restart the left engine to clear the message. Didn't work. So flight control had him go back to the gate so a mechanic could check it out. We then taxied back toward the gates but stopped short of any of them. The pilot told us that since we were in a Boeing 757 we would have to wait until a gate that could handle a plane that size opened up. About 30 more minutes goes by and we finally pull up to a gate and deplane again. The airline did provide snacks and bottled water for us and eventually gave each traveler a $10 food voucher good for any vendor in the airport. In case you haven't flown in the last few years, $10 is about enough to purchase a large bottle of water.

I finally got to talk with a gate agent and she booked me on a direct flight from Denver to Huntsville. But it doesn't fly until 6:45 and arrives in Huntsville at 10:30 p.m. This is my first time to have any issues flying like this. Hope it doesn't become the normal...

I'm actually starting to think that this is yet another attempt by BNA to have me cancelled...

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So the suckiest Monday of my original post has been outdone.

We left Kauai last night at 8:05 p.m. Hawaii time (1:05 a.m. Central time) and flew through the night until we landed in Denver this morning around 6:50 a.m. Mountain time. My next flight was to leave for Houston at 7:50 but after everyone was boarded the crew announced that they didn't have a pilot. No, I didn't volunteer to fly the plane... So they had us to deplane until they could arrange a pilot. After a little while they told us we would fly at 9:15 so we went and boarded the plane again. I asked while walking on the plane if the pilot was there yet. No, he was on his way though. So we all got seated and a short time later the pilot came over the intercom apologizing for the delay. He had to do some checks but after about 30 minutes we were pushed back from the gate. We taxied out to the runway and stopped. We sat there. And sat there. And sat there until the pilot finally announced that he got a "message status" that he would need to check. He then came back and said there was an issue with the fuel pump filter and that he needed to restart the left engine to clear the message. Didn't work. So flight control had him go back to the gate so a mechanic could check it out. We then taxied back toward the gates but stopped short of any of them. The pilot told us that since we were in a Boeing 757 we would have to wait until a gate that could handle a plane that size opened up. About 30 more minutes goes by and we finally pull up to a gate and deplane again. The airline did provide snacks and bottled water for us and eventually gave each traveler a $10 food voucher good for any vendor in the airport. In case you haven't flown in the last few years, $10 is about enough to purchase a large bottle of water.

I finally got to talk with a gate agent and she booked me on a direct flight from Denver to Huntsville. But it doesn't fly until 6:45 and arrives in Huntsville at 10:30 p.m. This is my first time to have any issues flying like this. Hope it doesn't become the normal...

I'm actually starting to think that this is yet another attempt by BNA to have me cancelled...
Keep repeating the aircrew mantra, "its better to be down here wishing you were up there than to be up there praying you were down here."

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My job sent me up to Anchorage, Alaska on Thursday. Not exactly how long I'll be up here but, here I am. 20211016_153108.jpg 20211016_154140.jpg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I stopped at a place where this guy does chainsaw carvings. He does some really incredible work. 20211016_132718.jpg 20211016_132726.jpg 20211016_132735.jpg 20211016_132737.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Who did you piss off? ;)

(great pics btw...)

I think it would be great for a week or two but be sure to evacuate me before Thanksgiving!

I know someone that had visited Alaska once in the summer and they liked it so much she applied to be a teacher all over the state. She got a job in a small town and they moved there a year ago. She dropped off FB during covid and hasn’t been heard from since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.