SOURCES: While not yet public, Will Muschamp has been fired * SECOND UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Some thoughts based on ideas brought forward in this thread:
1. Foley possibly to the SEC Commissioner's job: his academic resume is severely lacking with only a masters. Slive has a BA from Dartmouth, a JD from UVA Law and an LLM from Georgetown Law. Foley turns 62 in a few months. Doubt money is an issue for him and would bet retirement is more likely in his immediate future unless UF awards him some sort of "emeritus" position. The man truly has nothing left to prove--his AD resume speaks for itself.
2. Cannot imagine that after last season's nightmare that Foley would allow himself the luxury of playing the wait and see game, doing absolutely nothing inre contacting potential candidates/their representatives under the table. If Meyer's sudden resignation without warning (the first time) taught him nothing else, it was to always be prepared.
3. Bob Stoops is in his 16th season at OU and is 54 years old. I would have no problem with him coming to UF as HC but living here in north Texas and knowing far too many (obnoxious) big $ooner $upporter$, I would be shocked if he left OU to compete in the SEC.
Finally, I am confused. Those of you slinging accusations at Ox for posting what a source conveyed to him about the current state of affairs, I hope you are joking. This is a sports message board--nothing here is official unless it is a direct quote taken from a public announcement emanating from the sports department. If you choose not to give it any credence, don't. No harm--no foul.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n86789]

To borrow from the investment risk vernacular, up and comers rate as speculative, a guy of Stoops' caliper rates as moderate. Which degree of risk do you want to take?[/QUOTE]

Other than Hudspeth, who would admittedly be a big risk, none of those guys I listed would be any more than a "moderate" risk. And Cutcliffe isn't an up and comer, he sorta got lumped in there when I said that. Muschamp was more of a risk than the coaches I listed.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n86785 said:
All of them up and comers with something to prove, unlike Stoops who is damaged goods and washed up at this point. Has his best team in YEARS right now and can't even make it halfway through the season before he's out of the playoff picture.

:burn:

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n86785 said:
Stoops who is damaged goods and washed up at this point.

Washed up? He was 11-2 last year and had the most impressive bowl win of the season, dominating Bama in the Sugar Bowl. If that's washed up, I'll take it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n86800 said:
Washed up? He was 11-2 last year and had the most impressive bowl win of the season, dominating Bama in the Sugar Bowl. If that's washed up, I'll take it.

He beat a listless Bama team, your point?

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"1. Foley possibly to the SEC Commissioner's job: his academic resume is severely lacking with only a masters. Slive has a BA from Dartmouth, a JD from UVA Law and an LLM from Georgetown Law. Foley turns 62 in a few months. Doubt money is an issue for him and would bet retirement is more likely in his immediate future unless UF awards him some sort of "emeritus" position. The man truly has nothing left to prove--his AD resume speaks for itself."

Great points - emeritus position makes sense in that Foley could be recognized by the school abd continue to fund raise in an official capacity. He has been tremendous in growing the program in all areas - football and baseball hires have been a blind spot to some degree. I agree he has nothing to prove to me.

In All Kinds Of Weather

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n86804 said:
He beat a listless Bama team, your point?

Bama was 3 missed field goals and a lucky 109 yard kick return away from making it to the SEC Championship, and probably the national championship again, AND they had the guy that finished 2nd in the Heisman voting. That's listless now?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In All Kinds Of Weather;n86807 said:
Bama was 3 missed field goals and a lucky 109 yard kick return away from making it to the SEC Championship, and probably the national championship again, AND they had the guy that finished 2nd in the Heisman voting. That's listless now?

Think he meant that since Bama was not in the NC game, they didn't really care about the Sugar Bowl. You watch Bama in that game, it showed in the way they played that they weren't fully invested in the game.

In All Kinds Of Weather

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n86810 said:
Think he meant that since Bama was not in the NC game, they didn't really care about the Sugar Bowl. You watch Bama in that game, it showed in the way they played that they weren't fully invested in the game.

My bad. Regardless, not very many people beat Alabama that handedly in a big game. I would be thrilled to have Stoops, or any offensive minded coach really. I just think Stoops would be a perfect fit considering his success, Gator ties, championships, etc.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n86810 said:
most of the losing "upper bowl" teams say they had nothing to prove and didnt want to be there

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n86810 said:

Perhaps it could be noted the same applied to Oklahoma. So one coach got his team up, the other didn't. Maybe I want the coach who got his guys to play.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n86816]

Perhaps it could be noted the same applied to Oklahoma. So one coach got his team up, the other didn't. Maybe I want the coach who got his guys to play. [/QUOTE]

No, Oklahoma had two losses before the first weekend of Nov was over. They knew their championship bid was over early. Bama had a devastating loss to Auburn in the last week of the regular season. Bama was use to playing in the NC. Oklahoma wasn't.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops would be fantastic here! I just don't see him leaving OU...

and by the way it's Gene Chizik...

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n86782 said:
Is that really going to be our comparison? Hire someone who will do better than Muschamp has done? That's how Tennessee ended up with Butch Jones.

Well there was that whole bit about 8 conference championships, a whole buncha BCS bowl berths, beating twice as many ranked opponents as he loses to, and whipping Saban's ass 10 months ago. So there's that.

Of course, I don't know why I'm having this argument. I'm of the opinion that until proven otherwise, it is ridiculous that every time we have a vacancy, Stoops name gets brought up as a front runner and every time we are sure that this is the time he will declare that he loved us all along and he's coming back home. And frankly, it's a little embarrassing each and every time he turns us down and continues banging the fat chick with the bad teeth, instead of coming home to the sleek and sexy U of F.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen would make total sense… He has a senior laden team. His coaching stock will never be higher, and he lives in an awful state in a town that literally stinks…
Even if he does not come here, MSU is not his final destination...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator