Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t worry gents, I’m buying this bytch if the first bidder falls through. Gonna call it Chatter Hub. You ain’t seen the Saloon that’s gonna premier. Of course I’m drunk at a wedding reception and my wife’s reading this over my shoulder and giving me the NFW look. *Sigh* what could’ve been.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Don’t worry gents, I’m buying this bytch if the first bidder falls through. Gonna call it Chatter Hub. You ain’t seen the Saloon that’s gonna premier. Of course I’m drunk at a wedding reception and my wife’s reading this over my shoulder and giving me the NFW look. *Sigh* what could’ve been.
Wont work. You would have to start drinking Zimas.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wont work. You would have to start drinking Zimas.
Im Out GIF

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Couple notes: from yesterday’s scrimmage:

1. Safety DJ Douglas had a dominant game in yesterday’s scrimmage. 2 picks.

2. EWIII was dominant

3. Lagway is playing like a freshman. As expected. Mertz is the clear starter.

4. Safety group has been dominant all spring. Napier said secondary tackling is biggest improvement on team.

5. Jaden Baugh had biggest day for RBs. 3 TDs. Not surprising as he had a ton of them in HS.

Last edited:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

1. Safety DJ Douglas had a dominant game in yesterday’s scrimmage. 2 picks.

2. EWIII was dominant

4. Safety group has been dominant all spring. Napier said secondary tackling is biggest improvement on team.

5. Jaden Baugh had biggest day for RBs. 3 TDs. Not surprising as he had a ton of them in HS.

How is Clay millen looking? He is the apparent backup.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
as you should be

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

How is Clay millen looking? He is the apparent backup.
Haven’t read or heard much on him.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

We need to read this carefully, "secondary tackling", which in itself gets confused looks from the chatter faithful. "Biggest improvement on team" such a low bar too cross, making one out of five chances would be massive improvement.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Tackle play?
Transfer from Penn?

Along with the new safety play these items will have the biggest impact on next season IMO.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tackle play?
Transfer from Penn?

Along with the new safety play these items will have the biggest impact on next season IMO.
Slackman is the leader of the room. The strongest and most disruptive. According to to what I’ve read.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Slackman is the leader of the room. The strongest and most disruptive. According to to what I’ve read.
Good to hear. I hope the OT's are getting plenty of quality reps from the DL like what they'll see once we get into conference play next season....Speaking of RB's is the guy who transferred from Tulane last year still on the team? He had a good spring and fall camp until he got hurt...would like to see a big body back there once in a while for pass protection and running inside the tackles.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good to hear. I hope the OT's are getting plenty of quality reps from the DL like what they'll see once we get into conference play next season....Speaking of RB's is the guy who transferred from Tulane last year still on the team? He had a good spring and fall camp until he got hurt...would like to see a big body back there once in a while for pass protection and running inside the tackles.
Yeah. He had a TD in the scrimmage. RB room is deep.

The biggest change in the RB room has been that they’ve been working on getting MJ more involved in receptions.

Biggest drop off looks to be WR. We have EWIII but nothing else really. Dike looks to be a nice transfer from Wisky but not really dynamic. Khalil Jackson looks to be the 3rd receiver. Which doesn’t bode well for us.

Andy Jean has been hurt most of the spring. Good news is that Mizell has put on some significant weight. And Tank Hawkins has been the fastest player on the team. Even faster than Mizell.

A lot of injuries at LB. Frosh Graham has been out most of the spring. Good news is that Pup Howard has been a freight train.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is Slackman participating? I thought he was hurt coming in?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yeah. He had a TD in the scrimmage. RB room is deep.
:yes:

BTW I think Jackson can/will be a pretty good WR with a few more reps....dude made some of the best catches we had last year even though the one against LSU was called a no catch(BS)....Get Boardingham back into the mix like he was at mid season last year and as you mentioned Montrell more involved out of the backfield and we may be OK(aside from some of Karls playcalling)

I don't really ever see Mertz being able to stretch the field very often with his arm anyway. Just hope those OT's can keep him clean while he's working mid range and underneath.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We need to read this carefully, "secondary tackling", which in itself gets confused looks from the chatter faithful. "Biggest improvement on team" such a low bar too cross, making one out of five chances would be massive improvement.
Seems like just last year when we heard how fantastic the entire defense was, right. Because second year, right.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't really ever see Mertz being able to stretch the field very often with his arm anyway. Just hope those OT's can keep him clean while he's working mid range and underneath.
The Gators football podcast, forget the name but the dude with the crazy hair did a podcadt focused on Mertz last year. I forwarded it to Ox, so he probably posted it.

His review was actually surprisingly good. He blamed most of the problems on horrific playcalling. Now, unfortunately he also noted that our OC is similiar in many ways. However, if we actually CALL some decent downfield plays, Mertz can hit them.

He has no arm strength problems though he isnt AR out there flipping his wrist for 70 yard bullets. And he is reasonably accurate. But when you are down by three scores and it is 3rd and 12, maybe you take more chances.

We cant run double play fake (tailback and jet) the have WRs running screens or hitches and blame the QB for not pushing the ball down field. When we DO actually run something vertical, it is usually a simple go route by 2 receivers only with the slot faking a jet. 2 WRs on 5 DBs is dumb dumb dumb always.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.