Spurrier attends UF practice

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
  • Offensive starters in the fastball period: quarterback Luke Del Rio, running back Jordan Cronkrite, receivers Ahmad Fulwood, Dre Massey and Chris Thompson, tight end Moral Stephens, offensive linemen (left to right) Fred Johnson, Antonio Riles, Cam Dillard, Tyler Jordan and David Sharpe.
That gives me heartburn.
  • Defensive starters in the fastball period (nickel package): defensive linemen Bryan Cox Jr., Caleb Brantley, Joey Ivie and Keivonnis Davis, linebackers Alex Anzalone, Jarrad Davis and Daniel McMillian, cornerbacks Duke Dawson and Marcus Maye, safeties Marcell Harris and Nick Washington.
That isn't a nickel package and a really doubt Maye was at CB. :rotfl:

That is really weird to describe that as a nickel package… And with three safeties?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That is really weird to describe that as a nickel package… And with three safeties?
The nickel package is almost always with three safeties, not 3 CBs. We usually run a 4-2-5. A LB leaves usually the slowest one but sometimes it's just subbing a safety "nickel" for the SAM backer (who is usually not the slowest and in fact should be the best cover guy because he has the TE in most coverages). A CB could do it but it needs to be someone strong enough against the run because the are going to have gap assignments.

I'm sure someone just took poor notes since they listed a 4-3. They didn't notice a LB leave.

Some teams run a 3-3-5 nickel. AZ and maybe still WVU (Rodriquez influence) runs it as base D. I think some Big 12 schools do also. Our dime is usually a 3-2-6, with another safety--usually Maye with a better coverage guy playing deep-- subbing for the Mike LB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.