Started on my 2012 Personal taxes!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My brother-in-law is an orthopedic sales rep. So he is not getting paid from his surgeries until the bill gets generated, contested by insurance, collected from patient, etc, etc. Bottom line... his income is from work done months ago and therefore, his taxes are always a year behind. They always file an extension, and always make quarterly payments throughout the year to try to get it close. They've done it this way for over 10 years.

About 6 months ago, my sister goes to use her debit card. Denied, no funds. Which was odd, because there was over $30,000 in there. Long story short... the IRS came in in the middle of the night and took every penny. They claim they sent a certified letter. It was to a ****ing address that my sister hasnt lived in over 8 years.

That money was going to be due (which is why it was sitting in the checking account). But the way it was done was criminal, imo.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I always try to hum it in real close. Last year, I owed $300. This year, I owed $175. For 2016.. I'm going get that sucker within 50 bucks.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My brother-in-law is an orthopedic sales rep. So he is not getting paid from his surgeries until the bill gets generated, contested by insurance, collected from patient, etc, etc. Bottom line... his income is from work done months ago and therefore, his taxes are always a year behind. They always file an extension, and always make quarterly payments throughout the year to try to get it close. They've done it this way for over 10 years.

About 6 months ago, my sister goes to use her debit card. Denied, no funds. Which was odd, because there was over $30,000 in there. Long story short... the IRS came in in the middle of the night and took every penny. They claim they sent a certified letter. It was to a ****ing address that my sister hasnt lived in over 8 years.

That money was going to be due (which is why it was sitting in the checking account). But the way it was done was criminal, imo.
Is he a conservative? :suspect:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

He didn't make estimated payments while he waited to file? Ouch.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always try to hum it in real close. Last year, I owed $300. This year, I owed $175. For 2016.. I'm going get that sucker within 50 bucks.

I laugh because so many people consider getting a big refund a good thing. You're just lending money to the government.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

What ortho company? Can he get me grant or exhibit money for CME courses? That'd be great, thanks.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I laugh because so many people consider getting a big refund a good thing. You're just lending money to the government.

That's how I feel too.

But my best friend is, self-admittedly, horrible with his money. So he purposefully sets up his withholdings to get a large refund as a way of forced savings. Of course, knowing this... he starts getting himself in the hole because he knows a large check is coming in February. :lol:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

.....lending at a horrible interest rate - 0%.

Jun 2, 2015

I have no earned income and live off social security and RMD from my IRA and pay quarterly taxes. I generally take the RMD the first of the year depending upon how the market is doing and have no tax taken out as I agree that is like lending money to the government I am upset enough over having to pay taxes anyway as I paid taxes on monies going into the IRA and now pay taxes on withdrawals. A friend of mine stated I should be thanksful to have enough money to be taxed which I suppose is true.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Woot woot!
Only three more years to go.
procrastination-the-oatmeal-comics-1437795.png

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have no earned income and live off social security and RMD from my IRA and pay quarterly taxes. I generally take the RMD the first of the year depending upon how the market is doing and have no tax taken out as I agree that is like lending money to the government I am upset enough over having to pay taxes anyway as I paid taxes on monies going into the IRA and now pay taxes on withdrawals. A friend of mine stated I should be thanksful to have enough money to be taxed which I suppose is true.

I'm a little confused by your comment. You did or did not pay taxes on the IRA contributions? If you did, then those dollars when withdrawn are not counted as income. Social security is taxed based on your provisional income, which means everything from lines 7 through 21 of the 1040 and including 50% of the social security benefits themselves. The higher that provisional income, the more your benefits are included as income, up to a cap of 85%.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a little confused by your comment. You did or did not pay taxes on the IRA contributions? If you did, then those dollars when withdrawn are not counted as income. Social security is taxed based on your provisional income, which means everything from lines 7 through 21 of the 1040 and including 50% of the social security benefits themselves. The higher that provisional income, the more your benefits are included as income, up to a cap of 85%.
:nerd:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Impressive. However I prefer to owe more. Just get it within 10% and you are fine. :cool:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's a phaseout on deductibility for IRA contributions after you pass a certain income threshold and you are "covered" by a retirement plan at work. Before the introduction of the Roth, a lot of taxpayers fell into this trap. The IRS allows you to use a ratio method to pull out the post-tax money as non-income.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm dragging ass on paying taxes this year. I owe 2K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.