Started on my 2012 Personal taxes!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My brother-in-law is an orthopedic sales rep. So he is not getting paid from his surgeries until the bill gets generated, contested by insurance, collected from patient, etc, etc. Bottom line... his income is from work done months ago and therefore, his taxes are always a year behind. They always file an extension, and always make quarterly payments throughout the year to try to get it close. They've done it this way for over 10 years.

About 6 months ago, my sister goes to use her debit card. Denied, no funds. Which was odd, because there was over $30,000 in there. Long story short... the IRS came in in the middle of the night and took every penny. They claim they sent a certified letter. It was to a ****ing address that my sister hasnt lived in over 8 years.

That money was going to be due (which is why it was sitting in the checking account). But the way it was done was criminal, imo.

IRS don't **** around. I had a similar situation happen to me but by mistake. Turns out some dude with the same name and all but 1 digit same SSN as me and they cleaned my account out. Called my bank and they said it was IRS and they can't do shît. Called my Lawyer and CPA, went through hoops for a week to finally get it back.

Worst feeling that your accounts are just wiped out.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IRS don't **** around. I had a similar situation happen to me but by mistake. Turns out some dude with the same name and all but 1 digit same SSN as me and they cleaned my account out. Called my bank and they said it was IRS and they can't do shît. Called my Lawyer and CPA, went through hoops for a week to finally get it back.

Worst feeling that your accounts are just wiped out.

Damn. That's amazing you got it resolved in a week.

My only similar story is I got a letter one day from the IRS that said I didnt claim some income 2 years prior, so I owed taxes on that, penalties, int, etc.... Please send us a check for $6000.

I call the IRS, wait on hold for several hours, finally talk to someone and tell them that I never worked for the company they are claiming. They said, and I exactly quote, "prove it".

How the **** do you prove that I never worked there? The dude said that is my problem to figure out.

So I google this company. It's a university in Tennessee actually. They were so incredibly nice. It took several transfers to get to the correct payroll person, but we figured it out. Somehow, my social got put on a contractor's pay stub. They sent a certified letter to the IRS explaining the mistake and the freaking president of the University called me personally to apologize. I had the whole thing resolved in less than 24 hours. :dance:

1) what would I have done if that business no longer existed? Talk about being screwed.

2) we couldn't figure out how the social mistake happened. He had the same last name as me, but was a contractor there for years. Oddly enough, I did get a scholarship from them when I was in college, over 15 years earlier.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Okay I mailed them. Keeping my fingers crossed. BTW I use TurboTax. I highly recommend it.
Is what you do too complicated for electronic return?
I was TurboTax, and always do electronic, but mine is fairly simple.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Somehow, my social got put on a contractor's pay stub
illegalaliens_12.jpg

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's how I feel too.

But my best friend is, self-admittedly, horrible with his money. So he purposefully sets up his withholdings to get a large refund as a way of forced savings. Of course, knowing this... he starts getting himself in the hole because he knows a large check is coming in February. :lol:
So he's actually worse at spending his money than the government? Poor bastard :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.