Story on Trask (Law won't like this)

gatorjohn

Founding Member
Rev
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else notice this pic in the article? He really does have an arm! His right arm looks longer and bigger than his left. I know it must be an illusion but dang! Look how much farther down his right arm is on his shorts. Lobster boy?
Trask-Nuss_rd7bul.jpg
images

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure what the big deal is thus far. Yes we all know about Trask and his backup history. Given that Mac and Nuss can groom a QB should be all the better. I'll trust in what's going on with the staff and this QB. I'm not worried at all. We know LDR is more than likely our starter and Appleby will be 2nd. IF, for some reason we lose those two and it does wind up being Trask I'm still more comfortable with him that what we saw out of Freon, EVER. Let the process play out. If this kid produces like those that support him say, UF has something to be happy about. But I can tell you what I saw of him out of the debut he is light years ahead of Franks. Even though it was with the 2's there is a significant gap in their performances.

how many times does it have to be said? - - logic and sensible thought has no place here.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Franks transfers after next season, if he doesn't switch positions. Especially if LDR
I still want to know when law got a second star....

Law's bagman was slow getting to the recruiting agencies, but everything's been paid up so it's all good. Solid 2* ready to carry Trask's jock this fall.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure what the big deal is thus far. Yes we all know about Trask and his backup history. Given that Mac and Nuss can groom a QB should be all the better. I'll trust in what's going on with the staff and this QB. I'm not worried at all. We know LDR is more than likely our starter and Appleby will be 2nd. IF, for some reason we lose those two and it does wind up being Trask I'm still more comfortable with him that what we saw out of Freon, EVER. Let the process play out. If this kid produces like those that support him say, UF has something to be happy about. But I can tell you what I saw of him out of the debut he is light years ahead of Franks. Even though it was with the 2's there is a significant gap in their performances.

It is really an odd situation. LDR would have been the back up this year if Grier was still here. Appleby probably doesn't come if Grier wasn't suspended. Trask is probably third string in both situations. If we're on our third stringer we are in trouble. Pray this does not happen.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
If we're on our third stringer we are in trouble. Pray this does not happen.

Exactly. Trask looks very impressive, but he is still a true freshman and they rarely are any good. Historically, the few that are never actually improve upon their freshman campaigns. If something happens and Trask has to play FSU, LSU, UT or any other tough game we probably lose unless he makes a massive leap between now and then.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is really an odd situation. LDR would have been the back up this year if Grier was still here. Appleby probably doesn't come if Grier wasn't suspended. Trask is probably third string in both situations. If we're on our third stringer we are in trouble. Pray this does not happen.

Which is why I get the feeling the staff knew Grier wasn't going to return well before it was reported to the media. If LDR was that good during practice last year (have no proof he was) and Grier was already on a uphill battle with the drug suspension. The staff might have had knowledge which helped us get both Appleby and Franks before it was known to the fans.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. Trask looks very impressive, but he is still a true freshman and they rarely are any good. Historically, the few that are never actually improve upon their freshman campaigns. If something happens and Trask has to play FSU, LSU, UT or any other tough game we probably lose unless he makes a massive leap between now and then.

Who is the best true Freshman qb to play at Florida... I can only think of a few who even took a good number of snaps as a quarterback (Tebow was basically a Fullback as a Freshman).

Palmer and Leak are the only two that come to my mind as True Freshman.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who is the best true Freshman qb to play at Florida... I can only think of a few who even took a good number of snaps as a quarterback (Tebow was basically a Fullback as a Freshman).

Palmer and Leak are the only two that come to my mind as True Freshman.

I thought Danny was a true Frosh also...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Danny was a true Frosh also...

Danny W was a redshirt frosh... I remember I was at football camp his true freshman year, and Coach Al (don't remember his real name) told me to watch out for him next year. The only player he had ever gone out of his way to introduce to me to before their freshman season before that was Emmitt Smith.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, ya gotta cut Law some slack 'cause before he comes to post here, he swings by Starbutts to
get his shot of caffiendish.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Exactly. Trask looks very impressive, but he is still a true freshman and they rarely are any good.

Even if we signed a 5* true freshman QB, I'd rather have a veteran starting ahead of him. I just think it could be interesting if Trask develops into a solid QB in a couple of years.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Self fulfilling prophecy. When he does the unlikely it will be because he made a "massive leap". How clever you are.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was. Remember that famous game-winning TD to Doering? That was 1993.
IDK, I did a little research and came up with this:

. In football, he led the Vikings to an undefeated season as a senior quarterback, while winning the Florida Class 4A state football championship in 1991 and earning the No. 2 national ranking in USA Today. Wuerffel was widely considered the top high school football recruit in the state of Florida, and USA Today's high school player of the year in Florida during his senior year.

It doesn't confirm it, but it sure makes it sound like he was a HS senior in 91-92, but didn't play for us until 93, which would imply a redshirt in 92-93.
Then I found this:

Danny Wuerffel did his best to settle No. 9 Florida's quarterback controversy, throwing for 231 yards and three touchdowns yesterday to lead the Gators to a 41-34 victory over No. 5 Tennessee in Gainesville, Fla.
The redshirt freshman, who came off the bench to direct two fourth-quarter scoring drives last week against Kentucky, was in command from the start against an overmatched Tennessee.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/19/s...uerffel-is-wonderful-as-gators-beat-vols.html

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014

. In football, he led the Vikings to an undefeated season as a senior quarterback, while winning the Florida Class 4A state football championship in 1991 and earning the No. 2 national ranking in USA Today. Wuerffel was widely considered the top high school football recruit in the state of Florida, and USA Today's high school player of the year in Florida during his senior year.

It doesn't confirm it, but it sure makes it sound like he was a HS senior in 91-92, but didn't play for us until 93, which would imply a redshirt in 92-93.
Then I found this:

Danny Wuerffel did his best to settle No. 9 Florida's quarterback controversy, throwing for 231 yards and three touchdowns yesterday to lead the Gators to a 41-34 victory over No. 5 Tennessee in Gainesville, Fla.
The redshirt freshman, who came off the bench to direct two fourth-quarter scoring drives last week against Kentucky, was in command from the start against an overmatched Tennessee.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/19/s...uerffel-is-wonderful-as-gators-beat-vols.html
Yep. I stand corrected. Here's another link from The Gainesville Sun.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Then I found this:

Nice detective work dude

1L3QI8340082-02.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just occurred to me : Trask was brave to come to UF. What a bummer for him, if he has to
sit on the bench for 4 years ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.