Strategy with Emory Jones moving forward

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Slightly off topic...

I saw the Bears vs Packers game a week or so ago. I liked the way the Bears O used the jet sweep to stress the D and make them hesitate, not knowing if the run was going left or right. I’d like to see DM use that with the skill players we have. Even more so with EJ at QB.
With the speed of NFL defenses nowadays, you gotta figure out a different way to spring your playmakers. Teams are going more and more to misdirection. The Bears use it a lot, and it's effective.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Apologies, but that response is a bit unclear. We dont want to play their weaknesses?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No disagreement over the need for us to play to our strengths. My thought is geared to timing and tactic. If I'm coaching this offense, I want to test that secondary early to see if we can exploit it and take the crowd out of the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We seem to have great weakness in the film review dept. Have to get better staff in that area.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We seem to have great weakness in the film review dept. Have to get better staff in that area.
2 things come to mind in regards to this, the first is if they are watching and dissecting film are they teaching the correct responses to the given situation. We see the defense exploited in the same 2 areas over and over which is the secondary in middle coverage and the inability of the DE/LB to recognize an outside run(set the edge)…..we know there are some talent/size/experience issues but are the position coach's walking the players through enough reps in practice to hammer the point home....My conclusion based on the season results are no.... Getting beat up the gut is more on personnel and I'll give a pass on that for now.

Offensively the "slow start" that Itraz mentioned could be by design, here's why. We still 8 years later have some sort of wiring problem that makes our offense go dead for a couple of quarters in almost every real game save for the Idaho's and such. My belief is that Mullen knows this and tries to coach around it by having Franks throw mostly sidelway passes and run the ball(we do always take 1 long shot on the first series) but if he sends Franks out there with too much on his shoulders throwing the ball he chances losing his confidence later in the game. We also don't want to put even an adequate passing QB from the other team out there too many times and have him build a ton of confidence against our secondary, even the likes of Shurmur of Vandy, Locke of Mizzou, Fromm, and the UK QB torched our guys in the first half...Sad but for this game and the bowl game TOP will be our best friend....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If we get a QB who can attack the middle of the field with his arm does Mullen alter the offense though? You're correct about it being the key to consistently sustaining drives.....you don't even need to do it a lot, just do it well when you do and don't always wait till 3rd down to do it.....and at the moment we don't do it well enough or often enough.
We've got a couple of good looking young TE's who should be able to help EJ or someone else out in the future and hopefully get more single coverage for the WR'S too when they're working deeper routes....We'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator