Strategy with Emory Jones moving forward

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
We're going to go into 2019 a lot better at quarterback. The open competition in the spring combined with another offseason for Mullen working with his young passers should bring about marked improvement.

If we can get better on the LOS, LB and safety -- I know, a lot of ifs -- we can have a really good football team.

With the incoming Freshman at LB, we'll definitely get better there. Hopefully they'll be ready for significant playing time next year.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Didn’t read the whole thread, but...

If DM wants to preserve the redshirt, then don’t play EJ during what will probably be another ref$u game unless necessary. However, I hope EJ’s performance yesterday gives DM the confidence to bench FF much sooner than what we saw vs mizzou. If FF has another bad day like that, DM needs to put EJ in while the game is still within reach.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

If DM wants to preserve the redshirt, then don’t play EJ during what will probably be another ref$u game unless necessary. However, I hope EJ’s performance yesterday gives DM the confidence to bench FF much sooner than what we saw vs mizzou. If FF has another bad day like that, DM needs to put EJ in while the game is still within reach.

He better, this game could cause the fan base to either fully embrace him or turn on him. Got to win this one.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure the plan is to go with Franks as long as possible, through thin and thick, with Jones only seeing the field after they carry FF off it.

The bowl game. That's where EJ gets more meaningful reps.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure the plan is to go with Franks as long as possible, through thin and thick, with Jones only seeing the field after they carry FF off it.

The bowl game. That's where EJ gets more meaningful reps.
That would be a really bad plan. This is the biggest game we've played in over 5 years. Its an absolute must win. Can't wait until Franks put the game out of reach before giving him the hook. EJ has to be available.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting how many of you assume Franks will lay an egg simply because of what happened a year ago.

Franks is a better and more confident quarterback now and the guy I want behind center Saturday versus a still-raw freshman. He's far from perfect, but he's led a couple of come-from-behind wins and seems comfortable in pressure situations.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Interesting how many of you assume Franks will lay an egg simply because of what happened a year ago.

Franks is a better and more confident quarterback now and the guy I want behind center Saturday versus a still-raw freshman. He's far from perfect, but he's led a couple of come-from-behind wins and seems comfortable in pressure situations.

I agree. Facepalm away.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016

He's still very inaccurate and he choked big time on the big stage in Jax and then followed that up by stinking up the Swamp the following week. I agree, he's our only option to start. But the leash has to be short. He put on one of the worst performances I've ever seen in last years game. Can't give him the opportunity to do the same this year.

This is a win at all cost game. Losing is not an option.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's still very inaccurate and he choked big time on the big stage in Jax and then followed that up by stinking up the Swamp the following week. I agree, he's our only option to start. But the leash has to be short. He put on one of the worst performances I've ever seen in last years game. Can't give him the opportunity to do the same this year.

This is a win at all cost game. Losing is not an option.
There are only 12 teams in Division 1 with worse pass defenses than FSU's. I expect us to come out firing.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Yes, I agree here - Toney could have done the very same thing that Emory did in that game. So why did we waste him that day?

Don't think it was a waste. It was a recruiting message to UGA recruits.

Come here and get to play or go to UGA where the freshman QB doesn't get in the game.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Come here and get to play or go to UGA where the freshman QB doesn't get in the game.

I'll be waiting for the blue chip recruits to pour in then.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
There are only 12 teams in Division 1 with worse pass defenses than FSU's. I expect us to come out firing.

I hope not, Franks is not a guy you want throwing a ton. Safe throws, yes. He doesn't need to turn the ball over in this game. Franks needs to be limited to 20 passes a game, we need to pound the rock. That includes Franks using his big body as well to get tuff yards. I want to see Franks under center and a RB in the backfield like we did in the SC game some. It was a different look and we really gashed SC going under center.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

The freshman QB has won the starting position at UGA the last three years. Our coach insists on redshirting no matter what.

It's a poor argument IMO.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope not, Franks is not a guy you want throwing a ton. Safe throws, yes.
Those screen passes aren't particularly safe. If a WR misses a block or a CB gets a great jump it is pick 6 city. High risk low reward unless they are playing soft Zook/Randy Shannon zone.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Those screen passes aren't particularly safe. If a WR misses a block or a CB gets a great jump it is pick 6 city. High risk low reward unless they are playing soft Zook/Randy Shannon zone.

Well, if they have one of the worst pass defenses like the stats say, then maybe they won't figure it out. Franks can have a field day, never having to throw across the line of scrimmage. LOL

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
The freshman QB has won the starting position at UGA the last three years. Our coach insists on redshirting no matter what.

It's a poor argument IMO.

It's a fact, not an argument. UGAs freshman QB didn't play. Ours did.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017

Gotta ask yourself which game is more important, FSU or the Bowl game? Id say FSU.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had a brainfart and was thinking Fromme was fresh THIS year.

But nevertheless, two of their last three have STARTED.

Its a weak point given that Mullinz has refused to ever start a freshman no matter what.

Im not sure how much hay you think is made by saying "See! EJ played one series innthe Ugaly game!"

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

We still lost, so what did it matter? Like I’ve said plenty of times, Toney could’ve ran those same couple plays EJ did. EJ got to run a few plays in a big time rival game, will that ultimately have any effect on his development? Honestly, I think Mullen should’ve gave him more plays in that game since he decided to use him, Franks was terrible, except for one throw. EJ was a curveball that UGAy probably wasn’t prepared for. EJ threw a nice ball the one time he was allowed, Mullen should’ve gave him more of an opportunity than he did.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I had a brainfart and was thinking Fromme was fresh THIS year.

But nevertheless, two of their last three have STARTED.

Its a weak point given that Mullinz has refused to ever start a freshman no matter what.

Im not sure how much hay you think is made by saying "See! EJ played one series innthe Ugaly game!"

Do you remember all the chatter prior to the game about how little playing time the freshman was getting and some of the UGA faithful was wanting to give him some time to see how he would do?

My guess is Mullen was playing off that with potential recruits. Has nothing to do with From me or other freshman QBs starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator