Summers oline coach

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would probably keep him another year. Pass blocking was decent most of the season considering the youth - rush blocking was pretty bad however.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix said:
If you're looking for a coaching change look at ST's. Nord coached TE's and ST. TE's were productive but special teams were a disaster. And ST's have more to do with coaching than with players.
This. His schemes are awful. I dont think we got close to blocking a kick or punt all year.

He coaches like what he is, some out-of-date cheap azz leftover we hired from Eastern Kentucky.

Last edited:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Cant really judge him based on this year's unit. If anything he should be given credit. It's not like he's working with 5* JRs and SRs.
If you're looking for a coaching change look at ST's. Nord coached TE's and ST. TE's were productive but special teams were a disaster. And ST's have more to do with coaching than with players.
I certainly agree that our special teams were generally horrible but I don't know who is to blame. Having Powell returning kicks was really stupid. He can't think and he can't see the field, and if somebody blows on him he goes down. I don't know whose decision it was to play him all year.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Summers needs to stay. Keep the staff intact and have some continuity. I did see some improvement in the OL just need some better run blocking and that will come with this group jelling and a year's worth of maturity, strength and cond., and experience.

As far as Hardin....only two things you can do. Cut him loose or let him do kickoff's only. He has been absolutely a waste of a scholly. The Vandy kick was huge but he is more of a distraction than anything else. Not to mention what could have gone on in the Hardin/Grier household. Again, in Mac's presser you can hear how he's sick of Hardin's schtick, "yep you heard me right, sprained in the walkthrough."

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac has already said he's trying to get him a raise BTW. They had to pay him less because of his USC deal, and thats coming up now. So if he doesn't retire he'll get a nice fat pay bump.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Isn't Hardin somewhat on the coach. I mean you should be able to teach him to kick it over the lineman's armpits. Don't forget the LSU fake field goal that everyone new was coming except the guys on the field. Seems we got fooled a few other times. Not to mention our own failed fake FG and fake punt yesterday. Plus what's with the returners catching the ball 5 yards deep in the end zone and running it out every time. Shouldn't that be emphasized in the spring.

I would think ST issues are generally more on the coaches, schemes and preparation. Hardin is a head case that Mac inherited so I'll give him a pass on that. But the LSU fake is on the coaches. Every Gator fan knew a fake was coming. I bet 90% of us were scream "watch the fake". The execution yesterday was generally poor everywhere. I put some of the blame for the poor execution on the way the staff had the team prepare for the game, treating it like spring practice.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know whose decision it was to play him all year.

We even occasionally line him up in the backfield. Really! Why? I have no earthly idea because every time we give him the ball back there he goes nowhere with it. He needs to stay in the slot. I'm all for JMac hiring a prostitute if that's what it takes to keep him there. He has no business ever lining up to return kicks/punts or in the backfield ever again. He isn't suited to it. Get him in space against a LB, that's where he shines. Well, assuming we have a QB that can get the ball to him in space from time to time...

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Plus what's with the returners catching the ball 5 yards deep in the end zone and running it out every time.

That was guys knowing we had next-to-zero chance of getting a big play out of the offense, and trying to make something happen. Not normally what you want to do, but in that game, the right thing, IMO.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac has already said he's trying to get him a raise BTW. They had to pay him less because of his USC deal, and thats coming up now.
We didn't HAVE to pay him less, but if we paid him more USC would offset what they paid him by that amount. (Are you listening, Fooley?) Now his USC contract is up so we have to try to pay him market rate. (Oh crap, is Fooley still AD?)

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
We even occasionally line him up in the backfield. Really! Why? I have no earthly idea because every time we give him the ball back there he goes nowhere with it. He needs to stay in the slot. I'm all for JMac hiring a prostitute if that's what it takes to keep him there. He has no business ever lining up to return kicks/punts or in the backfield ever again. He isn't suited to it. Get him in space against a LB, that's where he shines. Well, assuming we have a QB that can get the ball to him in space from time to time...
Really. I was too lazy to mention lining him up in the backfield. We had some decent running backs and then there he was, getting blown over by a week breeze.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Summers needs to stay. Keep the staff intact and have some continuity. I did see some improvement in the OL just need some better run blocking and that will come with this group jelling and a year's worth of maturity, strength and cond., and experience.

As far as Hardin....only two things you can do. Cut him loose or let him do kickoff's only. He has been absolutely a waste of a scholly. The Vandy kick was huge but he is more of a distraction than anything else.

Agree on keeping some staff continuity.

On keeping Hardon? No thanks. I'm looking forward to Eddie P sending kickoffs thru the uprights just to eat into the minds of the opposing team.

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Eason's father said Arky's Oline coach moving to Athens sealed the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.