Swamp bar and restaurant being torn down for apartments

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That's a real shame. About a year and a half ago, I had a job offer in Gainesville and one here in Destin and I really thought long and hard before I made my decision, and chose to be near the ocean. Although, we were also wanting to go back to Gainesville because it feels like home to us to a large degree. I saw a lot of sad things while we were there this past week. I'm ultimately glad that we decided to move where we did.

You sound similar to me. I always had it in the back of my mind that G'ville might be a good spot for me to hang up my spurs as it is smaller and I had an affinity for my time there as a student. Having been back a lot, I always enjoyed myself, but was never there for more than 4-5 days. Well you really do not learn about a place until you "live" there so to speak. I am glad I tried it, but it was not for me. without the school and the kids, it would be a complete shythole sadly. Funny thing is that Destin was my favorite vacation spot as a kid b/c we could drive there in one long day and it was quiet with those beautiful white sandy beaches. Well that is another area that has grown exponentially so it is no longer a quiet sleepy Gulf town.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Heck the Swamp wasn't even there when I went to school. I would go back to Gainesville and look at it like some newfangled thing that kids go to instead of the real bars like the Porpoise or CJs.

When I went to UF CJ's had just opened and it was out by 34th and Archer in a strip mall and the Purple Porpoise was south out 441 next to a Cumberland farms by the old Sonny's BBQ. After games CJ's was nuts with people packed in, standing on the tables and throwing pitchers full of beer into the whirling ceiling fans. Folks would come out of there totally drenched in beer.

Some places in my era were:

The Brown Derby - Fishbowl sized "Grogs"

Nelly's - Hottest chicken wings I ever ate but thankfully also the coldest beer.

Lillian's - Where we went to try and pick up local cougars

Nickel's Alley - 5 cent beer on Wednesday nights and lighted dance floor.

Big Daddy's Lamplighter Lounge - Beat the clock starting at 8 PM with 10 cent mixed drinks going up 10 cents every half hour.

The Rathskeller and the Orange and Brew- on campus bars with food where I could get pitchers of beer on my meal plan card as a freshman. Also my frat buddy was the DJ at "The Rat".

Bilbo and Gandolf's - Date night place for wine and cheese and some good live acoustic music. A real panty dropper.

....and dozens of other awesome bars that came and went too quickly but each and every one of them taking with them a little piece of my heart.....and liver.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The homeless issue in Gainesville seems to be a SERIOUS issue. When I lived there just 4 years ago there was always SOME bums but now they seem to be on every major intersection. What's the deal?
It is easier than getting a job.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When I went to UF CJ's had just opened and it was out by 34th and Archer in a strip mall and the Purple Porpoise was south out 441 next to a Cumberland farms by the old Sonny's BBQ. After games CJ's was nuts with people packed in, standing on the tables and throwing pitchers full of beer into the whirling ceiling fans. Folks would come out of there totally drenched in beer.

Nelly's - Hottest chicken wings I ever ate but thankfully also the coldest beer.

Big Daddy's Lamplighter Lounge - Beat the clock starting at 8 PM with 10 cent mixed drinks going up 10 cents every half hour.

The Rathskeller and the Orange and Brew- on campus bars with food where I could get pitchers of beer on my meal plan card as a freshman. Also my frat buddy was the DJ at "The Rat".

Bilbo and Gandolf's - Date night place for wine and cheese and some good live acoustic music. A real panty dropper.

....and dozens of other awesome bars that came and went too quickly but each and every one of them taking with them a little piece of my heart.....and liver.
I watched the Rat burn to the ground when I was there.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

CJ’s nickle beer night was legendary. Had a buddy who would stand on the tables and stop the ceiling fan with his head.

Brown Derby for free happy hour food.

Lillians AND Holiday Inn on Newberry for the cougars!

But the go-to always was the Salty Dog.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
My avatar was a picture I took (before Tenn game 2015 I think) of a poster hanging in the Swamp Bar. It was old with faded, washed out colors so I cleaned it up with Irfanview.

Here's the orig image
upload_2020-8-24_20-49-57.png

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Ashley’s Pub in Butler Plaza had a good cheap pitcher of Margaritas that was good for getting dates drunk

Chelsea St Pub in Oaks Mall had 3 for 1 happy hour drinks, although smaller than their regular drinks so probably just a glorified 2 for 1

My first expensive date with the now Mrs No1g8r was at Casa Palermo in 1987. It cost me about 2 weeks pay from my night auditor job at Holiday Inn, but she was worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator