Swamp bar and restaurant being torn down for apartments

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How can they reopen in the same location 18 months from now if they are shutting down to make way for an apt complex?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
This place arrived after I was long gone. Still always sad to see old haunts disappear. Think all the places I frequented back in the 80’s have been gone for quite some time. Here’s a list of them off the top of my head
- The Porpoise
- CJ’s
- Lilian’s
- Dubs
- The Park
- Joe’s Deli
- Happy Hour Pool Hall
- Leonardo’s
- Burritto Brothers
- Skeeters
I’m sure there are many others that I just don’t remember anymore.

The only constant in life is change.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This place arrived after I was long gone. Still always sad to see old haunts disappear. Think all the places I frequented back in the 80’s have been gone for quite some time. Here’s a list of them off the top of my head
- The Porpoise
- CJ’s
- Lilian’s
- Dubs
- The Park
- Joe’s Deli
- Happy Hour Pool Hall
- Leonardo’s
- Burritto Brothers
- Skeeters

Ah yes, The Park. Who among us didn't contract a venereal disease at The Park hot tubs?

Also sorely missed:

Mama Lo's - Best Soul Food I ever had
The Reality Kitchen - Unbelievably creative bands in that place
The Spot - Saw Henry Rollins when he was with Black Flag there
The Vatican - They actually had a crimping parlor when you walked in so you could get a free mohawk.
Great Southern Music Hall - Saw Bo Diddly there. Saw Muddy Waters there.
Rickenbacker's - Saw Johnny Hammond there. Great jazz venue.
The Islands - Saw George Thorogood there the night Marty Robbins died. He came out without saying a word and did a beautiful instrumental version of "El Paso."
Hyde & Zeke's - I still have obscure and valuable records I bought there for around a dollar.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
- The Porpoise
- CJ’s
- Lilian’s
- Dubs
- The Park
- Joe’s Deli
- Happy Hour Pool Hall
- Leonardo’s
- Burritto Brothers
- Skeeters

Whatever the name of the place was that had Nickel Beers on Thursday's and Hot Tubs, Chelseas and Louie's Lunch. OH, LOL it was called the Park? I never knew that. I just knew nickel beers at the VD infested hot tubs. Oh and Farah's and the place across the street that had a restaurant on one side and couches to lounge on/bar on the other side. Oh was it Snuffy's or something like that? I am just an old forgetful geezer!

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
- The Porpoise
- CJ’s
- Lilian’s
- Dubs
- The Park
- Joe’s Deli
- Happy Hour Pool Hall
- Leonardo’s
- Burritto Brothers
- Skeeters

I could be wrong.....but I thought Lilians was still there?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Don’t forget Pablos Tunnel! It is where all you degenerates showed up at 3am for your Old Style, Milwaukee, Amstel or Pabst beer and Bartles & James for the honey you just picked up at CJ’s.

SW corner of Archer & 34th.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was at The Swamp, shortly after I graduated (so I was in my mid-20's) visiting a buddy who was still in school. We went to the Swamp and got a prime time table. After a while the place filled up, we didn't want to lose our table, so every time a hot chick walked by we'd say, "Excuse me, we'll take another round here when you get a chance." Some of the girls laughed, we'd buy them a beer if they went to the bar for us. Some got offended, "I don't F*CKING WORK HERE!!!" One girl got so pissed, she grabbed some dudes twice our size and said, "These two a**holes just asked me to get them a beer like I work here!" The two guys looked at us, smiled and told her to STFU. Great times!!

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
- The Porpoise
- CJ’s
- Lilian’s
- Dubs
- The Park
- Joe’s Deli
- Happy Hour Pool Hall
- Leonardo’s
- Burritto Brothers
- Skeeters

Change would be fine if it’s for the better or even the status quo.
Unfortunately I don’t see anything really good that has replaced these old venues other than Relish.

University Avenue is much more generic today than back in the day. On second thought, UF is much more generic as well

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
What I like about the Salty Dog Is it looks exactly like it did 38 years ago when it opened. Classic dive bar but a personality of its own. I don’t think they’ve painted a wall, replaced a tile or upgraded a stool in all those years. They certainly haven’t cleaned the bathrooms.

But damn I love that bar....

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Question for all you who still hang out occasionally in Gainesville: Whenever I had to wait on my son for something, I found The Swamp a convenient bar to wait in. Food wasn’t bad and they had a decent beer selection. Most of all, though, the location was ideal. So, where should my new go to spot be? (I expect to be having a weekend in September where I need to get away from the house and hanging with my son for a weekend is looking like a good alternative.)

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Question for all you who still hang out occasionally in Gainesville: Whenever I had to wait on my son for something, I found The Swamp a convenient bar to wait in. Food wasn’t bad and they had a decent beer selection. Most of all, though, the location was ideal. So, where should my new go to spot be? (I expect to be having a weekend in September where I need to get away from the house and hanging with my son for a weekend is looking like a good alternative.)

Well Salty Dog is still hanging tough. If you prefer something a bit more upscale looking The Social (where purple porpoise used to be) is actually a decent place. Plenty of room...good food ....especially the wings....and a shyt ton of TV’s. On a nice day the upper open deck can be fun.

But really....just belly up to the bar at Salty Dog.....turn up the juke box....and imagine you are in heaven. Can’t go wrong. I spent many days and many nights in there with my kids when they were in Gainesville.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Well Salty Dog is still hanging tough. If you prefer something a bit more upscale looking The Social (where purple porpoise used to be) is actually a decent place. Plenty of room...good food ....especially the wings....and a shyt ton of TV’s. On a nice day the upper open deck can be fun.

But really....just belly up to the bar at Salty Dog.....turn up the juke box....and imagine you are in heaven. Can’t go wrong. I spent many days and many nights in there with my kids when they were in Gainesville.
Thanks. I’ll try them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator