Taggelwain Excusers

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Gene “dot com” Williams. Don’t know if he’s still around. Just remember him being on the radio when I lived in Tallacrappy.
Ah yes. That's his name. He's one of the reasons why I quit listening to 1010xl in Jax. Someone who was on the air before Frank Frangie and Rick Ballou would have him on for Nole updates.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They are a paper lion. Many,many overrated recruits and Jimbo left a lot of glaring holes at key positions. If not for Dalvin Cook this would have been their 3rd straight 6-6, 5-7 type season. Taggart may not be the answer but he sure isn't more than about 25% of the problem.
Taggart has been a coach for nine years. He has had 4 losing seasons out of nine. He has had one season better than 7-5. He has a losing career record.

You are what your record says you are.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Willie is a far bigger % of the problem than that.
Trying to spin a top 4 roster into the problem is hilarious. No different than when Zook was here.

If you hire the right guy, he can have a talented but poorly coached or poorly motivated team in a hurry.

AgingGator

Oct 3, 2018
Trying to spin a top 4 roster into the problem is hilarious. No different than when Zook was here.

If you hire the right guy, he can have a talented but poorly coached or poorly motivated team in a hurry.
Zooker had a top four roster that was full of freshmen and Sophs. Hard to hold a lead in the 4th with young understrength guys on the defense. Meyer only went 9-3 with the same exact players with another year in the strength and conditioning program and in experience.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, I'm totally baffled that people are suddenly claiming FSU really doesn't have any talent. Are you kidding me? It's insulting.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
He sucked every year, at every school.
Sure did. Even that year he went to the Rose Bowl. That said, he can probably still coach circles around Taggert, and I found that extremely satisfying. Here's hoping Taggert get a good half decade to get his players before being pushed out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sure did. Even that year he went to the Rose Bowl. .
You mean the four loss year, in a down big ten when he "went to the Rose Bowl" bc the Big 10 champion was in the NCG?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zooker had a top four roster that was full of freshmen and Sophs. Hard to hold a lead in the 4th with young understrength guys on the defense. Meyer only went 9-3 with the same exact players with another year in the strength and conditioning program and in experience.

Do you know how many of his 2002 players went on to have solid NFL careers? Off the top of my head, 2 OL, a Heisman caliber QB, Graham at RB, Jacobs at WR and Toupe + AWalk at TE. That’s just offense.

Defense had McCray, Kiewan, Scott, Hardman, Todd Johnson, and others.

I’m not saying it was a perfect team, but it was good enough to not lose 5 games. There’s a reason why he got exactly 2 shots at HC. Great guy, decent coordinator, and did his best here. But not a head coach.

AgingGator

Oct 3, 2018
Yeah, I'm totally baffled that people are suddenly claiming FSU really doesn't have any talent. Are you kidding me? It's insulting.
Then why did they suck just as bad last year under Fisher, who is, I hate to say a pretty good coach. To take it a little further, look at their record in 16 for the games where Cook didn't play.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Then why did they suck just as bad last year under Fisher, who is, I hate to say a pretty good coach. To take it a little further, look at their record in 16 for the games where Cook didn't play.
Get real. They sucked under Fisher last year because he'd phoned it in. The year before they went 13-0 and lost in the playoff semifinal.

Here are some roster FACTS:
Average composite team ranking over last 5 years...5.4
Average player score over the last 5 years...91.28
TOTAL blue chip players signed over the last 5 years...

2017 numbers were 6th with four 5*s and an average of 91.10
2018 numbers (Willie's transition class) were ranked 11 with an average ranking of 90.91

His bump class, BTW, was the first FSU class to NOT sign a 5* since 2013, which was (ironically) the year they won their last NCG.

They have massive talent on their roster. Yes, they have some holes (biggest talent deficit is OL) but he's not showing ANY penchant for filling them.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure if you look at the whole of the ACC that FassU has a SIGNIFICANT talent advantage over every team except Clemson (and they still might be a little higher than them last year and significantly higher over the last 5 years). They got POUNDED by a VT team that needs to play an extra game today just to be bowl eligible. And by 'Cuse. And by NC State. Hell, they lost FIVE GAMES IN THE ACC!

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Last year’s team was 1995 Nebraska in comparison to the team they put out there last year.

Aging has bought into the narrative that all those top 10 classes evidently don’t count for some reason.

AgingGator

Oct 3, 2018
Get real. They sucked under Fisher last year because he'd phoned it in. The year before they went 13-0 and lost in the playoff semifinal.

Here are some roster FACTS:
Average composite team ranking over last 5 years...5.4
Average player score over the last 5 years...91.28
TOTAL blue chip players signed over the last 5 years...

2017 numbers were 6th with four 5*s and an average of 91.10
2018 numbers (Willie's transition class) were ranked 11 with an average ranking of 90.91

His bump class, BTW, was the first FSU class to NOT sign a 5* since 2013, which was (ironically) the year they won their last NCG.

They have massive talent on their roster. Yes, they have some holes (biggest talent deficit is OL) but he's not showing ANY penchant for filling them.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure if you look at the whole of the ACC that FassU has a SIGNIFICANT talent advantage over every team except Clemson (and they still might be a little higher than them last year and significantly higher over the last 5 years). They got POUNDED by a VT team that needs to play an extra game today just to be bowl eligible. And by 'Cuse. And by NC State. Hell, they lost FIVE GAMES IN THE ACC!

They were not 13-0 the year before, they were either 9-4 or 10-3, I can’t remember.
Anyway, my point is between the talent holes and several very overrated recruits, for anyone to claim that they have massive talent is ridiculous. Their Offensive Line is, well offensive. It’s hard to judge their backs and receivers because of the horrendous line. Their defensive talent is okay but they have little to no depth.

Taggart deserves a lot of criticism for discipline and game management but to lay this whole dogpile at his feet is foolish. If Fisher had stayed the probably might go 7-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator