Talked to Alex McCallister After the Game

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So BNA and I were walking back to our tailgate spot after the game, and this tall dude walks up behind us. He caught my attention, because anyone who's as tall as me automatically catches my attention. Turned my head, and lo and behold, it's Alex McCallister.

We talked to him for a couple minutes while he was walking back to his dorm, he said his foot was doing better, but not well enough to play against FSU. Said he'll be trying as hard as he can to get well enough to play Bama. Also said it's not an ankle sprain, but a torn ligament on the inside of his foot. It's basically just a pain tolerance thing at this point, and he's hoping not to have to get surgery until after the season.

Asked him about Bullard, and all he said was, "Bullard balled out there today, but he's fine. He just had an MCL thing." So I'm guessing it was a minor sprain or something like that.

Said the loss was "a tough one," then paused for a second and said, "two points," and shook his head. Really hope there isn't a divide between the offense and defense heading into this week's game. It's already going to be a difficult enough game without the two units feuding with each other.

Anyway, that's about it. I was really impressed with the kid. Gave a firm handshake (always a good sign), and was well-spoken and extremely polite. He could also put on another 25-30 pounds without even trying.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I said it and some people called me out on it but I really thought our defense gave up in the 4th quarter. Felt like years past when you could clearly see a divide between the O and D

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I said it and some people called me out on it but I really thought our defense gave up in the 4th quarter. Felt like years past when you could clearly see a divide between the O and D
I think it was pretty obvious they finally gave up. You can only carry a team on your back for so long before your back gives out.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I think it was pretty obvious they finally gave up. You can only carry a team on your back for so long before your back gives out.

They held up as best they could until it was evident that even a spark from them to start(and end) the scoring wouldn't be enough to get the offense going.

Now we'll get to hear Verne and Gary talk about how Cook gashed us for 150 for 3 and a half to 4 hours on Saturday. :suicide:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So BNA and I were walking back to our tailgate spot after the game, and this tall dude walks up behind us. He caught my attention, because anyone who's as tall as me automatically catches my attention. Turned my head, and lo and behold, it's Alex McCallister.

We talked to him for a couple minutes while he was walking back to his dorm, he said his foot was doing better, but not well enough to play against FSU. Said he'll be trying as hard as he can to get well enough to play Bama. Also said it's not an ankle sprain, but a torn ligament on the inside of his foot. It's basically just a pain tolerance thing at this point, and he's hoping not to have to get surgery until after the season.

Asked him about Bullard, and all he said was, "Bullard balled out there today, but he's fine. He just had an MCL thing." So I'm guessing it was a minor sprain or something like that.

Said the loss was "a tough one," then paused for a second and said, "two points," and shook his head. Really hope there isn't a divide between the offense and defense heading into this week's game. It's already going to be a difficult enough game without the two units feuding with each other.

Anyway, that's about it. I was really impressed with the kid. Gave a firm handshake (always a good sign), and was well-spoken and extremely polite. He could also put on another 25-30 pounds without even trying.

Cool story, Bro. My guess is there is a divide in the locker room and we're going to see it much worse this weekend.

The worst would have been one of the limp finger handshakes. Look wet noodles.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Completely agree. I saw the air come out of the sails of the defense when that for male recovery in the endzone was for a touchback instead of a touchdown. They knew the missed their only opportunity.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The worst would have been one of the limp finger handshakes. Look wet noodles.
There's nothing that gives off a bad vibe about someone than a limp handshake. I don't know how anyone makes it past puberty without learning to give a proper handshake.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I have confidence Mac won't let the divide grow any bigger. And in my opinion, as long as you are representing Florida you don't quit.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't sense a divide...just disappointment in our inability to score in the redzone. I'm sure the offense is more down on themselves than the defense could ever be. It's a frustrating situation for all of us.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What "divide"? I saw a defense whose already-suspect depth was depleted by injuries play their hearts out then get gassed as the game wore on.

On the other hand, I guess it's encouraging that the football "experts" on Gatorchatter are now psychic and can tell us how and what the defense is "thinking". A quick favor: can you train your psychic powers on this week's Lotto and share those numbers with me? I could use a little extra cash, as my girlfriend's birthday is two days removed from Christmas.

Can we all stop searching for even the tiniest crumbs of negativity? Please?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am assuming this was immediately after the game. Wonder how come he wasnt in the locker room with the rest of his teammates.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I am assuming this was immediately after the game. Wonder how come he wasnt in the locker room with the rest of his teammates.
Yeah it was only about 10 minutes after the game ended. I thought it was odd, too, but maybe the injured players have a different timeline after games? I really don't know.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't claim to know what someone else is thinking, but it is certainly human nature to play harder when you're still in the game than you would once it's out of reach. The worse our offense plays the sooner the game gets out of reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He was a good kid - answered every question with "yes sir" or "no sir" (even to Sas, even though I was the old bastard). I didn't get a sense of a "divide" as much as frustration, because he saw what we all did - a wasted spectacular defensive performance.

Sas's description is spot on too - he looked like a Great Dane puppy - all legs and skinny, but going to be a beast when he grows into that frame.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think they were worn down more then they quit, but I do think some of it was... this game is over... we can't win. The reality is that the defense did everything they could to keep us in that game and give us a chance. Yes... it would have been great if they kept them out of the end zone in the first half, but watching our offense sputter must have been frustrating.

I keep thinking about the 4th and 2 with the dropped/bad snap... just killing ourselves!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think they were worn down more then they quit, but I do think some of it was... this game is over... we can't win. The reality is that the defense did everything they could to keep us in that game and give us a chance. Yes... it would have been great if they kept them out of the end zone in the first half, but watching our offense sputter must have been frustrating.

I keep thinking about the 4th and 2 with the dropped/bad snap... just killing ourselves!

Screw that. That was bad...it was...but I keep thinking about that pass that was thrown 2 yards behind Calloway when he was streaking wide open down the sideline for a sure touchdown. THAT was a huge opportunity that was wasted and it set the tone early for what was to be a game of missed opportunities.

Not to mention, on that 4th and 2, I think the game was still 0 to 0. If we had a half way decent kicker Mac could've opted to take the easy 3 points and the lead. He was basically forced into that decision because he had no faith in Hardin, which was later confirmed when Hardin missed not 1 but 2 chip shot field goals.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Screw that. That was bad...it was...but I keep thinking about that pass that was thrown 2 yards behind Calloway when he was streaking wide open down the sideline for a sure touchdown. THAT was a huge opportunity that was wasted and it set the tone early for what was to be a game of missed opportunities.

Not to mention, on that 4th and 2, I think the game was still 0 to 0. If we had a half way decent kicker Mac could've opted to take the easy 3 points and the lead. He was basically forced into that decision because he had no faith in Hardin, which was later confirmed when Hardin missed not 1 but 2 chip shot field goals.

The missed pass to Callway was horrible also. Wasn't one of the FGs a 51 yarder?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't one of the FGs a 51 yarder?
Yes, and he had plenty of distance, he just pulled it left. Distance has never really been an issue with Hardin. He has problems with getting the ball up high enough, and accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator