Tebow up for CFB HOF

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Finally.

@onlygators: Florida #Gators QB Tim Tebow is officially on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot for the first time.

Brad Culpepper, Eric Rhett also up for induction in the Class of 2023.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Can't believe he was inducted by acclamation 10 years ago. Travesty.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well he WAS robbed of that 2nd Heisman. I think he will get in though......................
He was robbed, but if that gave the team extra motivation to lock up the 2008 MNC, I can live with it. Anyone with a brain who watched that game knows Timmy deserved a 2nd He15man.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
He was robbed, but if that gave the team extra motivation to lock up the 2008 MNC, I can live with it. Anyone with a brain who watched that game knows Timmy deserved a 2nd He15man.

I agree. We are owed two Heismans; one more for Tebow, who was deprived of a second one for improper reasons that, IMO, can only be discussed in the PF, and also one for Rex Grossman, who was deprived of his Heisman only because of an unwritten rule that was later quashed by the undeniable excellence of Tebow, which said only juniors and seniors were eligible.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am struggling with Tebow being inducted in the same class as Ray Lewis.
Just doesn’t feel right

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I agree. We are owed two Heismans; one more for Tebow, who was deprived of a second one for improper reasons that, IMO, can only be discussed in the PF, and also one for Rex Grossman, who was deprived of his Heisman only because of an unwritten rule that was later quashed by the undeniable excellence of Tebow, which said only juniors and seniors were eligible.

This

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I don't think he accomplished enough to warrant induction.
Who, Errict Rhett? I agree. At least not on the first ballot.

Yes he led the Gators in rushing for all four years of his career, but it was the Fun n' Gun era. A lot of those yards came from running out the clock in garbage time against exhausted defenses. Rhett would not have had a four-year career if he had been more of a dominating, difference-making, HOF-worthy back. Plus the OP may have remembered how to spell his name.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Losing just one game kept him from being the greatest college football player of all time, hands down. He absolutely remains one of the best two or three. Why isn't he already in?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Who, Errict Rhett? I agree. At least not on the first ballot.

Yes he led the Gators in rushing for all four years of his career, but it was the Fun n' Gun era. A lot of those yards came from running out the clock in garbage time against exhausted defenses. Rhett would not have had a four-year career if he had been more of a dominating, difference-making, HOF-worthy back. Plus the OP may have remembered how to spell his name.

Are you insane? Rhett was an incredible back. He should be in for just the ‘93 uga game alone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Blah

Percy needs to be in.

Percy not being in is mostly his limited actual career. One of the most exceptional players to ever play college football. But between injuries, the migraines(real and otherwise), and suspensions, he may not have enough in his 3 years to warrant it. To be clear, I’d love to see him in and loved watching him play. It’s just that his reduced body of work is probably the issue.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Are you insane? Rhett was an incredible back. He should be in for just the ‘93 uga game alone.
Yes I am insane, but I don't know what that has to do with the price of tea in China.

Rhett was not an "incredible" back, as his mediocre post-NCAA career revealed. He was one of the better backs UF has ever had, but we're not known for greatness at that position. He did have some impressive games but like I said, his stats were bolstered by a lot of downhill running in second halves, when most of the student section was already crammed into the Purple Porpoise.

UF HoF? Absolutely. SEC HoF? Probably. NCAA HoF? Meh. I mean I'm definitely not going to complain if he gets in, but I won't complain if he doesn't, either.

Now I should probably go take my meds while I ponder how much they're getting for tea in China these days.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was at the ‘93 game, first time in Jax. He was the man that day. Danny couldn’t grip/throw consistently in the rain that day, but Rhett kept chugging. D played well, defended UGA’s last second pass on the goal line as time ran out to preserve the victory. Great performance. It would be personal opinion as to whether he’s a HOF player imo.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Was at the ‘93 game, first time in Jax. He was the man that day. Danny couldn’t grip/throw consistently in the rain that day, but Rhett kept chugging. D played well, defended UGA’s last second pass on the goal line as time ran out to preserve the victory. Great performance. It would be personal opinion as to whether he’s a HOF player imo.
I was at that game as well. Wasn't that the game Spurs Pulled Danny and Doug threw a skinny post for a TD on the next play?
Rhett was amazing though. Ga couldn't stop him, plus, even in those terrible conditions, he never fumbled.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Terry Dean replaced Danny. A little salve for the disappointment he suffered from losing his job. Rhett secured the ball that day and was definitely a key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator