Tennessee considering Butters for OC position

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whoever hitches their wagon to that loser Pruitt is dooming their career. Pruitt is a high school level coach who wasn't even as good as his predecessor at Hoover High School.

That makes him perfect for Butters to join his staff then.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Just a reminder of why Gatorchatter is the best board on the webz.

upload_2017-7-21_11-26-38-png.6336

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
According to volnation, Sankey is already saying no to this. No idea if that's true or not, but I could see it being contentious.

I also think it's a great case of "sounds great/won't actually work". At the end of the day, teams will either make it or not based on their head coach. The idea that having a recently fired head man as an OC will create this perfect compliment of offense to go along with a defensive minded head coach, hasn't typically worked. It looks formidable on the surface but is usually a failed experiment. It also won't last for long, because if he's accepted back into the SEC as an OC, he'll be offered a head coaching job the moment a place like Aub has an opening.

That said, I have no doubt a guy like JP would give it a go. His WM-2.0 comparison will nearly be complete.
Didn’t Sankey nix Saban hiring him as an analyst?

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017
He is a dangerous recruiter.

Not sure why he was on the west coast though.
If I’m not mistaken, his wife is pursuing a professional singing career and she wanted to stay in LA. I also recall some bmd(baby mama drama) from his first child in back in TN. Wifey wasn’t having any of that!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There were plenty of people here talking about butters being the 3-star whisperer and sure that he found a lot of diamonds in the rough. Plenty (somehow) claimed he had fixed the roster or even stocked the shelves.

That's a very common sentiment on Swamp Ass even today.

I can't think of one of those that has worked out.
I thought Butters, bless his little heart, did bring in some OL, no? I’m a silver lining type of guy. I do have to say, our line was much improved as well as our receivers this year.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking about sending a $47.21 check to UT athletic department to hire Butters as their OC :scratchchin:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Butters, bless his little heart, did bring in some OL, no? I’m a silver lining type of guy. I do have to say, our line was much improved as well as our receivers this year.
He brought in two OL and a bunch of FIU crap.

Bringing in leftovers w a pulse wasnt the worst thing the first year, but he didnt upgrade after that.

In addition to not recruiting OL, he also didnt bother to recruit QB, DT, fullsize DEs, LBs or safeties.

Yeah, but other than that. He achieved mediocrity at the other positions.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking about sending a $47.21 check to UT athletic department to hire Butters as their OC :scratchchin:

That's your whole allowance from you wife, are you sure you want to spend it all in one place?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He brought in two OL and a bunch of FIU crap.

Bringing in leftovers w a pulse wasnt the worst thing the first year, but he didnt upgrade after that.

In addition to not recruiting OL, he also didnt bother to recruit QB, DT, fullsize DEs, LBs or safeties.

Yeah, but other than that. He achieved mediocrity at the other positions.
Those 2 allowed us to practice with a full line, no?

My point was OL bodies...not anything else. I despise the guy...and the guy before him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Didn’t Sankey nix Saban hiring him as an analyst?

Not sure, but wouldn't surprise me.

Although I could see that conversation going something like, "Nick, first you insist that I investigate this guy, now you want me to allow you to hire him?"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I read that Butters to Central Michigan HC may have legs.

It would be great to play them some day and beat him 96-0 or so.

Last edited:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@PeteThamel: Source: Former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze has interviewed for Tennessee OC job. He's one of a handful of candidates there. No decision has been made or is expected imminently.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@PeteThamel: Source: Former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze has interviewed for Tennessee OC job. He's one of a handful of candidates there. No decision has been made or is expected imminently.
booooooooo

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OMG. I would be twice as pumped about the next UT game. It would be fun destroying his face with a real offense, and showing what a coached FF can ACTUALLY do.

I was with you right up to the FF part.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@JimnyHyams: Source: Tennessee and former Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze have a deal in place to make Freeze the next offensive coordinator. Don’t have details yet. Expect announcement tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.