Tennessee considering Butters for OC position

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was reading a ut board yesterday. Thought I'd share this gem:

"Not debating if Mullen is a good coach, but he walked into a fully stocked kitchen and made a nice meal. Pruitt walked into a kitchen stocked with lunch meat, bread and cheese...."

They are in a fantasy land. It's fantastic.

Yeah, FSU fans are saying the same exact thing about Taggart and the FSU talent. Both fan bases are living in an alternate reality.

And it's glorious.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016

"Not debating if Mullen is a good coach, but he walked into a fully stocked kitchen and made a nice meal. Pruitt walked into a kitchen stocked with lunch meat, bread and cheese...."

Lol... Right! Mullen inherited the greatest 4-7 team in NCAA history. Just overflowing with talent. Maybe we should make t-shirts to commemorate such a distinguished honor.

In all seriousness, it's scary that that's actually someone's opinion. Or maybe Mac & Co., really were that bad at player development. Sure, there's some talent on the team, but I see a BUNCH of guys who should not be at Florida.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol... Right! Mullen inherited the greatest 4-7 team in NCAA history. Just overflowing with talent. Maybe we should make t-shirts to commemorate such a distinguished honor.

In all seriousness, it's scary that that's actually someone's opinion. Or maybe Mac & Co., really were that bad at player development. Sure, there's some talent on the team, but I see a BUNCH of guys who should not be at Florida.
There were plenty of people here talking about butters being the 3-star whisperer and sure that he found a lot of diamonds in the rough. Plenty (somehow) claimed he had fixed the roster or even stocked the shelves.

That's a very common sentiment on Swamp Ass even today.

I can't think of one of those that has worked out.

Last edited:

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

This reminds me some of Urban Meyer's first year at Florida, at least offensively. I remember during the Alabama game, he went to a five wide formation that included Tate Casey and Billy Latsko, with predictable failure.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
there were plenty of people here talking about butters being the 3-star whisper and sure that he found a lot of diamonds in the rough.

I can't think of one of those that has worked out
It's fine if you take 1 or 2 of those guys per cycle.

The problem was that Mac tried to build the base of his class around projects and reaches.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This reminds me some of Urban Meyer's first year at Florida, at least offensively. I remember during the Alabama game, he went to a five wide formation that included Tate Casey and Billy Latsko, with predictable failure.
We ran some w #45 at WR.

It can work. Imagine of you just have Lastsko or Raymond wide to one side. You essentially take on ofntheir best DBs out of the play while you have three good ones the other direction two being covered by a safety or OLB. Advantage us.

But what if you run a stretch toss or screen to Raymond's side? Raymond blocking a dB? advantage us.

It can work. Just dont have him running oatterns vs a CB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's fine if you take 1 or 2 of those guys per cycle..
Sure, if it is a high upside niche guy like Brandom James.

Butters too 12 or so a class and the closest to one working out would arguably be Big Fred Johnson, and Im not really sure he worked out vs we just have no other option.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
There were plenty of people here talking about butters being the 3-star whisperer and sure that he found a lot of diamonds in the rough. Plenty (somehow) claimed he had fixed the roster or even stocked the shelves.

Really bro. You can’t think of one? Polite is about to go first round. Malik Davis was our best rb before injuries. Perine was a 3 Star from Bama. Zuniga was ranked in the 600’s. Jawaan Taylor was ranked in the 900’s was an instant freshman impact and is projected first round by some. Butters was a dumbass and had way too many busts but they did find a few good diamonds in the rough

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Yeah, it was stocked with left overs and dented cans from Food Lion

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017

My favorite take from a FassU fan tweet said something like "Funny that you all are celebrating beating a 5-7 team!"
That tells you how far they've fallen. The fandom giving themselves backhanded compliments.
Love it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I heard on the radio yesterday that ut is interested in Hughe Freeze as their OC, but it's unknown as to whether the NCAA would even allow it due to his violations. Because of the Butters/Pruitt connection, I think this is more of a possibility even though it sounds too good to be true.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I give him credit for his OL haul in 2015 to at least get us some bodies there. Outside of that, even most of his higher ranked guys were average at best. And as was said, you simply can't build around these guys. A specific project guy here or there, a utility guy with low ratings, fine. But he built a roster of mid-level guys, and supported it with G5 depth. And routinely had to hold on for dear life just to land those guys, fending off the late pushes of Temple and FIU. I respect their efforts because they're Gators. But insinuating that somehow we had this loaded roster when DM took over is hilarious.

It's also been funny to see some of the preseason prediction threads being bumped over there. The narrative was completely different at that time, they were definitely going to beat us, and wondered out loud what the national media was going to say when they won 8 or more games this year.:lol:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I will say this about Mulllinz, he never complained about the crap sandwich he was left.

Frankly, I doubt he expected it to be this bad. So many of these kids just wouldnt have been offered a slot on Gator teams of old. Im sure it was a shock, especially after what he inherited when he arrived here last time.
He touched on it during his introductory presser, when he talked about strength, conditioning, and relentless effort. It took a few weeks of fall camp and the first couple of games of the regular season to get them to buy in, but I don’t know that there’s a player on the two-deep roster that isn’t all in by now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I give him credit for his OL haul in 2015 to at least get us some bodies there.
Look, I did too. He grabbed like six or seven. But it certainly wasn't a talented bunch. And I we hoping for actual Gator level classes to get us past that stopgap.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Here’s 2015’s 3 and 2 stars (the last 3 are 2 stars). Maybe one good player in Buchanon.

9B2FA596-9DE5-43FE-90CC-D8F763423CF3.png

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s 2016’s 3 stars. The final 2 are 2 stars.

But to your point Law, only Polite has been an elite 3 star. There have been about 3 or 4 that have been serviceable. And about 40 of them that have been abysmal.

290D11AB-2A03-45FE-AD83-317A2119CE31.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.