Tennessee's Offensive Improvement since 2013

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
IMO, Tennessee is going to be pretty good this year. Sure, their coach may F up a few in-game decisions. But since he's been there, they have steadily improved and he's recruited well (top 20 classes, a few top 10 classes). He has a senior QB and a very good RB to go along w/ other key pieces. Most pundits are picking them to win the East. I know most of us think we can't lose to them ever again...but this UT team is going to be much better than the last 10 or so we've faced and the game is in Knoxville.

They return 9 starters on Offense (and 8 on Defense).

I found this stat that shows how much they have improved since 2013 season:

Scoring Offense:

2013: 23.8
2014: 28.9
2015: 35.2

+11.4 ppg since 2013....and they return the QB & RB.

(I tried to attach a chart, but can't tell if it attached or not)
Improved%20scoring%20O%202013-15.png

Returning starters in big bold.

QB Josh Dobbs SR Quinten Dormady SO
RB Jalen Hurd JR Alvin Kamara JR
WR Josh Malone JR Preston Williams SO
WR Josh Smith JR Jeff George JR
WR Jauan Jennings SO Cody Blanc SR
TE Ethan Wolf JR Jason Croom SR
LT Drew Richmond RFR Dontavius Blair SR
LG Jashon Robertson JR Venzell Boulware RFR
C Coleman Thomas JR Ray Raulerson SO
RG Dylan Wiesman SR Jack Jones SO
RT Brett Kendrick JR Chance Hall SO

DE Derek Barnett JR Kyle Phillips SO
DT Kahlil McKenzie SO Shy Tuttle SO
DT Kendal Vickers JR Danny O'Brien JR
DE Corey Vereen SR LaTroy Lewis SR
LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin SR Austin Smith SO
LB Darrin Kirkland Jr. SO Colton Jumper SO
CB Cameron Sutton SR Emmanuel Moseley JR
CB Justin Martin JR Darrell Miller SO
NB Rashaan Gaulden SO Malik Foreman SR
FS Evan Berry JR Micah Abernathy SO
SS Todd Kelly Jr. JR Stephen Griffin SO

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They have one very good player at every level of their defense. The rest of the guys that form the D are adequate. Not terrible but not exactly
guys that impress you. Their entire offense centers around Dobbs and his houdini acts getting himself out of trouble, guys not wrapping him up etc.
He must've broke 20 tackles against us last season. A team that can stop the run is a bad matchup for the vols.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that this UT team talent wise is the best that UF has faced in a decade, so it will be a close game; however, I don't see a reason as to why they would be the favorites to win except that it's in Neyland. I think we still match up well against them.

The only time their offense had success against ours was because of trick plays or simply sloppy play from our defense. Dobbs couldn't do anything through the air, and I doubt that he'll be able to this year either. Also, UT can't count on Dobbs breaking 20 tackles. The defense will be constantly reminded how sloppy their play was against him, and I doubt that they'll let Dobbs run all over them again.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree that this UT team talent wise is the best that UF has faced in a decade, so it will be a close game; however, I don't see a reason as to why they would be the favorites to win except that it's in Neyland. I think we still match up well against them.

The only time their offense had success against ours was because of trick plays or simply sloppy play from our defense. Dobbs couldn't do anything through the air, and I doubt that he'll be able to this year either. Also, UT can't count on Dobbs breaking 20 tackles. The defense will be constantly reminded how sloppy their play was against him, and I doubt that they'll let Dobbs run all over them again.

If we can stop their running game we should be in good shape, regardless of how well or badly our O is playing....which gives us a chance to win. I think Dobbs will get some rushing yards, as that's his thing (to scramble when the pocket breaks down). We just need to force them into 3rd and long's....but our D needs to be more disciplined. The fact of the matter is, we got plain lucky last year. And I see no way in hell that we'll be favored going into Knoxville - if UT loses to Va Tech ugly, I could see us being favored (especially if we smoke Kentucky, which is unlikely). But that should be expected w/ them at home and most of America thinking (going into the season) that they are the team to beat in the East.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Its gonna be good times to watch the entire town sink to a new low when we leave there. Butch Jones will be looking for a new job.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well...they HAVE been the team favored in the East for what seems like the last 5 or 6 years in a row. Always are..... in Spring and Summer. Then comes Fall and it's a different reality.

That being said, I believe they probably will be pretty good this year. They are returning like 75% of their starters.

The thing that worries me the most is they return a veteran QB and OL. I'm hoping the hype around LDR is legit and his knowledge of the system after having now spent two years under Nuss's tutelage(last year and the one year at bama) will help compensate for his limited experience. The OL may be the biggest difference. They return an OL full of juniors and seniors, with only one Redshirt Frosh (which essentially means he's a junior, 3rd year on campus). Meanwhile our OL looks to be very, very young with one junior, a couple sophomores and couple redshirt freshman...backed up by a couple older guys who played so poorly they were leapfrogged by true freshman last year.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our defense was built better last year than its projecting to be this year. I don't trust that our wannabe gangsta Defensive Coordinator won't play his typical "Bend but don't break" defense which will lead to failures and holes.

That goofy looking MFer Dobbs is going to run all over us again because we still don't know tackling fundamentals. I'm not looking forward to this game.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF D just needs to keep Dobbs from taking it to the House -- Dobbs House -- that's unpalatable.
Anyway, this UT is better than ever, and that stadium holds 100,000 fans. Then there's those
checkered squares that make players puke. Then there's those UT fans who make all people puke.
My hopetimism is that we clobber our prior opponents in warming up for Knoxville, thereby growing
quickly into a more experienced team. Whoop-whoop, ain't it exciting just feeling footballish ?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Our defense was built better last year than its projecting to be this year. I don't trust that our wannabe gangsta Defensive Coordinator won't play his typical "Bend but don't break" defense which will lead to failures and holes.

That goofy looking MFer Dobbs is going to run all over us again because we still don't know tackling fundamentals. I'm not looking forward to this game.

You do realize we were handicapped on D last year; without LB's it forced us into bad alignments on defense which is why we looked good against spread teams and bad against teams that lined up and ran it against us.

The TN last year was only the way it was because of gadget plays; have to believe it won't work again this year and I promise we will be much better at tackling Dobbs.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You do realize we were handicapped on D last year; without LB's it forced us into bad alignments on defense which is why we looked good against spread teams and bad against teams that lined up and ran it against us.

The TN last year was only the way it was because of gadget plays; have to believe it won't work again this year and I promise we will be much better at tackling Dobbs.

I do. I also realize that we aren't any better this year at LB. Dobbs looked like Tim Tebow trucking through our line and LBs.

I also remember everyone saying last year that Harris at LSU couldn't throw on us and he did just that. Our BDU didn't live up to it's name. What makes you think that UT isn't going to try something different?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Butch Jones is the head coach. That team will never win an SEC title as long as he is there. We may lose this coming season, but they won't be going on any winning streaks against us. My goodness, if they couldn't pull out a win these last 2 seasons, then when will they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator