The Athletic article: Five years later, Steve Spurrier wants to clear up a few things

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Okay, gotta come clean here. I looked and looked for video of that scene and couldn't find it on YouTube or anywhere, until I finally came across a clip of it that someone had Tweeted.

After re-watching it I guess the reactions to Spurrier coming in were not so bad after all. For some reason I remembered getting a vibe that they were just humoring and patronizing him, and in reality were annoyed by the interruption. But on second viewing, maybe not.

Mullen runs his hand across his face at the end, not his hair like I said before, and he does look a little fatigued or something but it's not necessarily annoyance with SOS.

I did get the part right about him drawing long lines on the whiteboard lol

Okay, yeah I see what you mean.
btw, lines drawn on a whiteboard toward the endzone do tend to be longer than those drawn toward one or the other sideline.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier’s departure was laced with innuendo that the game had passed him by. That’s a crock. He got tired of swimming upstream at South Carolina, a swim that BTW led to him becoming the all-time winningest coach there.

As complicated as the game has become, it still comes down to getting people open and getting the ball to them. I’m pretty sure Steve never forgot how to do that.
The game isnt that complicated. Teams blitz in different ways but in the end if your QB can hit your receiver, you win.

All this "game has changed so you gotta play Saban/Muschump ball" is horseshyt. The SEC remains just as ripe to be destroyed by playcallers like Spurrier and Brady who arent afraid to throw first.

There are more freaky athletic pass rushers, true, but once you start burning up their secondary, all these 6 or 7 man pass ruahes go away. Ask DwagChoker (vs Corndogs).

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I think you’re hallucinating.
Don't knock it unless you have tried it. Btw that SOS visit to Dan and company looked staged all day long. Annoyed by one of the greatest offensive minds in college football history? Like saying you are annoyed at having to turn in a winning powerball ticket 300 miles from home.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't knock it unless you have tried it. Btw that SOS visit to Dan and company looked staged all day long. Annoyed by one of the greatest offensive minds in college football history? Like saying you are annoyed at having to turn in a winning powerball ticket 300 miles from home.
yeah. Dan was annoyed to talk about a flea-flicker quarterback throw back.

he was trying to draw up another version of the all go play.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, gotta come clean here. I looked and looked for video of that scene and couldn't find it on YouTube or anywhere, until I finally came across a clip of it that someone had Tweeted.

After re-watching it I guess the reactions to Spurrier coming in were not so bad after all. For some reason I remembered getting a vibe that they were just humoring and patronizing him, and in reality were annoyed by the interruption. But on second viewing, maybe not.

Mullen runs his hand across his face at the end, not his hair like I said before, and he does look a little fatigued or something but it's not necessarily annoyance with SOS.

I did get the part right about him drawing long lines on the whiteboard lol

He draws long lines because the man wants to throw deep. He will always be the HBC, but he also is still a QB at heart, and he likes to gouge teams deep.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We're just hoping to get to 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 4. Those all go routes are just to clear space for the HB dump pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator