Status
Not open for further replies.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@realbsikes: Memphis coach Mike Norvell has a legit shot to end up at UF. In 6 years as OC & HC, his off have avg 16th nationally in scoring (38.4 ppg).

@realbsikes: He's a guy getting no buzz the past few days, meaning he's probably the guy. Lol

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
At this point I think that Frost is probably the best choice, but who knows what is really going on. I just hope we have somebody signed and sealed by early December to try to keep the class together.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely a concern and hard to judge. For both. I'm looking at schemes etc primarily. I just think his 2 and 3 star Tinerc boys aren't as talented as UCF's 2 and 3 star Fla boys. Could that just be better D coaching/development? Yeah. It could be.

Memphis has never had a great defense, and it's simply because they can only recruit UT, Ark, Ole Miss, and Miss ST leftovers. I'm impressed they have an offense as good as it is with the players that they do have.

If you look at what Memphis has done this year compared to when Fuente was there a few years ago, it looks like Norvell will have a better year this year than Fuente ever had at Memphis. Fuent's best record there was 9-3. Memphis looks like it will have a 10-1 record (game against Georgia State was canceled). That's really impressive.

I still think Frost should be the number 1 target, but I certainly won't be upset if we end up with Norvell. Memphis has only won 10 games in a season twice in school history: 1938 and 1963. It looks like Norvell is about to pull off what no coach has done in the last 54 years. Pretty impressive.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I think we can all agree that the pool of candidates this year is deep. Frost, Norvell, Taggart would all do well here imo

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
@realbsikes: Memphis coach Mike Norvell has a legit shot to end up at UF. In 6 years as OC & HC, his off have avg 16th nationally in scoring (38.4 ppg).

@realbsikes: He's a guy getting no buzz the past few days, meaning he's probably the guy. Lol
would love it. at this point he's actually my 2nd choice. kelly or frost are my 1a 1b guys

Mim Jacelwain

Oct 30, 2017
Who in the hell wants to live or for that matter coach in Nebraska? When where they even relevant last? And lastly, who wants to raise kids their? Come coach Frost, it's not that hard to figure out. I guess maybe all that corn is a plus? I guess.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Who in the hell wants to live or for that matter coach in Nebraska? When where they even relevant last? And lastly, who wants to raise kids their? Come coach Frost, it's not that hard to figure out. I guess maybe all that corn is a plus? I guess.
The haven't been relevant since 2001.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Its his school, he has an affinity for it. I'm not comparing to where Nebraska is now, but we hadn't exactly been lighting it up when Spurrier came to Florida. Some people have a loyalty outsiders don't understand. I'm not sure if Frost has that or not, we'll see.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I’ve thought of this as well. Not so much to be purposely cheap, but if we were to strike out on our top 3, maybe 4, candidates. Zero reason to go any deeper than that. Definitely now what I want, but as your last paragraph stated, it would probably be a better alternative to those options. Give him a short-term shot and reevaluate after 2018.

Hopefully it won’t come to this, cause it would really make me question Stricklin and I really want to believe in this guy. It would also mean that Shannon would likely be our coach when we take on the hurricanes at the beginning of the 2019 season. Bizarre

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I think whoever we hire will keep shannon, unfortunately

Shannon's D just got their azzes schooled by Smart. Saw the play-by-play analysis of what they actually did to the Gator D they made monkeys of us. Almost all of it was coaching, our guys were way out of position on most plays. Shannon is ok in the interim position he's in now. Would not keep Shannon a minute longer than we have to. Any coach we hire should be coming with a better D coordinator than the one we have in Shannon.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I work with a lot of Fsu fans, and they keep telling me how Frost is only Nebraska bound and that’s his dream job. That we would be better served going after someone else and not wasting time on Frost. I just tell them that if our rivals don’t want us to go after a guy, then that’s obviously the guy we should go after. They’re totally in fear of us landing Frost and can sense the pendulum swinging back in our direction with a great hire. Come on Stricklin, get us a great one.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Its his school, he has an affinity for it. I'm not comparing to where Nebraska is now, but we hadn't exactly been lighting it up when Spurrier came to Florida.
No, but everyone knew UF was in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. You sure as hell can't say that about Nebraska.

Mim Jacelwain

Oct 30, 2017
No, but everyone knew UF was in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. You sure as hell can't say that about Nebraska.
Not easy to pull Florida kids up North like Urban (and Harbaugh to an extent)does that's for sure. Florida may not be an overnight fix, but Nebraska... that could take multi-years. We shall see what his intentions are shortly.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am not advocating for anyone in particular, but I think of all the teams that have switched or joined conferences in the formation of the Power 5, than Nebraska's football program has suffered the most. When they were in the Big 8 or Big 12, Texas was a huge recruiting base. you could say to a recruit that we are playing UT, TTech, TCU, A&M, Houston, Baylor SMU, Okie, Okie St. or most of the these teams (depending on history ) every year. That is a decent lineup. Now you say to a recruit we are in the Big 10 but not assured of playing OSU, MICH, MSU, Penn St. possibly in any given year. You have Wisc., Minny, Iowa, Illinois, NW, etc. etc. every year. a lot of recruits will look and probably quote my good friend Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys I'm goin home" or "Suck my balls", b/c the schedule is horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.