The defense

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Come on now . This is spiteful and uncalled for . Billy is doing the best he can with what he’s got, right? . In fact he has my vote for SEC coach of the year . I’m proud of him and gator nation should be too if that
Makes sense .
Yawn. You're a one-trick pony. Come up with some new material.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the GNFP on the defense, which was not enjoyable. I'm not quoting James directly, but here's my interpretation based on what he said and my personal observations.

The scheme this season is much improved from years' past, and it's very similar to what uga runs. Our LB play, especially after losing Shemar, has been abysmal and is our worst problem. We play tons of freshmen and at times they are grest, and other times they struggle, which is normal. The biggest problem with our secondary is tackling. Castell does well in coverage overall, but he's a terrible tackler. It's something he really needs to work on in the off-season. If these guys can't play the scheme as designed just because of poor tackling, then James said they should consider playing more zone with a bend, don't break defense to stop the big plays, and hope the RedZone defense holds up so the opposing offenses kick field goals.

About 75% of the defensive problems this past Saturday were on the players. Bad tackling, bad angles, and some confusion. Experience can help with all of these (if they are emphasized and taught well in practice). While most of the game the defensive scheme was fine, we should have blitzed more against LSU. We only brought 7 man pressure twice and didn't bring 6 often enough. Most our pressure was with 5. Probably Armstrong's worst called game, but still better than whatever Grantham and Toney would have come up with.

In terms of defensive coaching changes, I think we definitely need a new LB coach. All of our LB are struggling mightily, and they are putting the rest of our defense, especially the secondary in bad spots. I still think Raymond is a good coach. It's a challenge with so many young guys, and I think they'll be much improved next year. I also think Armstrong is doing well overall even though this past game could have been called better. He's definitely the best DC we've had in several years, which isn't a high compliment. Will he be a great DC here? That's still up in the air. I think everyone would have a higher opinion of him if the LBs weren't so awful.

This defense isn't going to stop much these next two weeks. We'll need to score in the 40's to have a chance. Oh boy.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the GNFP on the defense, which was not enjoyable. I'm not quoting James directly, but here's my interpretation based on what he said and my personal observations.

The scheme this season is much improved from years' past, and it's very similar to what uga runs. Our LB play, especially after losing Shemar, has been abysmal and is our worst problem. We play tons of freshmen and at times they are grest, and other times they struggle, which is normal. The biggest problem with our secondary is tackling. Castell does well in coverage overall, but he's a terrible tackler. It's something he really needs to work on in the off-season. If these guys can't play the scheme as designed just because of poor tackling, then James said they should consider playing more zone with a bend, don't break defense to stop the big plays, and hope the RedZone defense holds up so the opposing offenses kick field goals.

About 75% of the defensive problems this past Saturday were on the players. Bad tackling, bad angles, and some confusion. Experience can help with all of these (if they are emphasized and taught well in practice). While most of the game the defensive scheme was fine, we should have blitzed more against LSU. We only brought 7 man pressure twice and didn't bring 6 often enough. Most our pressure was with 5. Probably Armstrong's worst called game, but still better than whatever Grantham and Toney would have come up with.

In terms of defensive coaching changes, I think we definitely need a new LB coach. All of our LB are struggling mightily, and they are putting the rest of our defense, especially the secondary in bad spots. I still think Raymond is a good coach. It's a challenge with so many young guys, and I think they'll be much improved next year. I also think Armstrong is doing well overall even though this past game could have been called better. He's definitely the best DC we've had in several years, which isn't a high compliment. Will he be a great DC here? That's still up in the air. I think everyone would have a higher opinion of him if the LBs weren't so awful.

This defense isn't going to stop much these next two weeks. We'll need to score in the 40's to have a chance. Oh boy.
Agree with everything you said.

I think Armstrong will wind up being a great DC. We had an outstanding LB and DL class coming in that will help.

Personally, I'm not worried about the defense next year if we can land a few from the portal (experienced) at key position.

I'm much more worried about the OL next year. Talent just isn't there. QB/playcalling has done a great job minimizing the OLs faults. If we want to be truly competitive next year, BN better get some Big Uglies from the portal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.