The fake

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another point of the fake, the kicker runs to the left immediately after the snap VHIII on the end busts in and continues to go for the ¿ block ? he reacts after the kicker has already ran 3 steps to the left when the holder goes to throw it, A quick reminder from the staff to be alert to the fake might of had him react better. Our ST coaching needs to get better.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
g8trs99;n299327 said:
Any current or future UF coach needs to stop trying to block LSU kicks. If it is a kick off be prepared for on-sides. If it is a punt play safe for the fake. If it is a filed goal same thing. Miles has made a living screwing UF on fake kicks of all sorts. That was piss poor by the coaching staff.
Yeah, mistakes are part of the game and Mac made one here. No one is perfect. Mac himself still has a bit of a learning curve himself though I'm totally behind him and I still think he's amazing. The only question I have is how can you be a coach on Alabama and not know about Miles' tendency to run that fake? Seriously. At my watch party everyone in the room was yelling that it was a fake FG. Unbelievable. Hopefully Mac will be like Urban in this respect and never get beat by the same thing again. Put that in your bank and let it gain interest that Miles won't be able to pull that off again in this inaugural season of the McElwain Era. One more OT point, Will Grier plays this game and we win it. I'm damn sure of it.....

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bernardo de la Paz;n299351 said:
If LSU kicks the field goal instead of faking it they still would have won.
No you miss the point. If we had been prepared for it it wouldn't have happened and the game would have still been ties. I don't remember the DB that was nearest the kicker when he caught the ball but he got turned around and if he was in position he could have hit the guy because he juggling that ball as he turned up field to run or that DB might have picked it off. THAT is the point.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to say it but I think it was again VH3 that effed that up. He probably had contain on that side unless they had some rotation scheme.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
PaulDrake;n299399 said:
Yeah, mistakes are part of the game and Mac made one here. No one is perfect. Mac himself still has a bit of a learning curve himself though I'm totally behind him and I still think he's amazing. The only question I have is how can you be a coach on Alabama and not know about Miles' tendency to run that fake? Seriously. At my watch party everyone in the room was yelling that it was a fake FG. Unbelievable. Hopefully Mac will be like Urban in this respect and never get beat by the same thing again. Put that in your bank and let it gain interest that Miles won't be able to pull that off again in this inaugural season of the McElwain Era. One more OT point, Will Grier plays this game and we win it. I'm damn sure of it.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n299399 said:
The only question I have is how can you be a coach on Alabama and not know about Miles' tendency to run that fake?
I don't care how bad your ST coach is, and clearly he is terrible, but how do you not know this?
shutterstock_73575268.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see, Greg Nord is a Kintucky Wildcat. Makes sense. We look like Kintucky on STs.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Miles said he noticed something in our FG defensive alignment while watching tapes of our play this year so he decided to put the fake in this week. Nord needs to step it up or get canned.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n299402 said:
No you miss the point. If we had been prepared for it it wouldn't have happened and the game would have still been ties. I don't remember the DB that was nearest the kicker when he caught the ball but he got turned around and if he was in position he could have hit the guy because he juggling that ball as he turned up field to run or that DB might have picked it off. THAT is the point.

Law98gator;n299404 said:
I hate to say it but I think it was again VH3 that effed that up. He probably had contain.

VH3 was closest. It's tough to put in on him though. We don't even know if they were faking no matter what, or if there is a read based on how we are lined up or whether we are really selling out for the block.

In that situation where it's clear that we called a play where we were really selling out for the block, it's tough to ask a guy to go get the block and also contain the fake. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Our staff was probably aware of the risk, but at the same time didn't want to put the game on the offense to win it. Not much difference between a 3 or 7 point deficit with our kicking situation.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Um, potentially giving up 7 on a fake is most certainly worth having the DB be in safety mode. Especially in this circumstance with THIS opponent.

And once more, we stop it, its still tied and WE have the ball.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have not read any of the thoughts of others in this thread b/c I don't want to be swayed, but in my opinion (giving Miles credit for the choice he made), it is TOTALLY INEXCUSABLE not to have been in a safe defense for numerous reasons, mainly given Miles history in that regard. Way too much time left in the game to sell out and be in FG block on such a short FG attempt knowing Miles will fake at any time. You are only down 3 and 1 defensive mistake away by LSU (which they made last nite) from taking the lead. To me this lies squarely at the feet of the head coach. To be outcoached during the game by Miles is a total embarrasment b/c Miles is the worst game coach in the SEC.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's how I look at it. I too called to watch for the fake 3 times before the ball was snapped. Everyone knew it was coming. However... The same Specual Teamsvthat missed on the fake also got a TD on a return. They canceled each other out and we are still down a TD.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fake does not fall on VH3. Vernon is the speed rusher, someone else has containment. I would have to watch again to see who should have covered the left flat.

But I agree, the blame is on the ST coach.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with the others who have said Mac won't ever fall for Miles' trickery again. I'll take it a step further and say that I bet Mac runs some type of fake on LSU next year in The Swamp. He strikes me as the type of coach that likes to give what he gets.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Go Gata;n299436 said:
I agree with the others who have said Mac won't ever fall for Miles' trickery again. I'll take it a step further and say that I bet Mac runs some type of fake on LSU next year in The Swamp. He strikes me as the type of coach that likes to give what he gets.
I remember thinking that about a decade ago. Then Hatter did it to us five more times the next year.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n299422 said:
Um, potentially giving up 7 on a fake is most certainly worth having the DB be in safety mode. Especially in this circumstance with THIS opponent.

And once more, we stop it, its still tied and WE have the ball.

If we call a safe defense, they might not have faked it. With our kicking situation there isn't much difference being down 3 or down 7.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Bernardo de la Paz;n299459 said:
If we call a safe defense, they might not have faked it. With our kicking situation there isn't much difference being down 3 or down 7.

You're still missing it. Just about every year since Les has been there, he does this. It is stoppable. We should have. It is a low percentage gamble when looked for.

He has been doing this. Everyone knows this.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n299461 said:
You're still missing it. Just about every year since Les has been there, he does this. It is stoppable. We should have. It is a low percentage gamble when looked for.

He has been doing this. Everyone knows this.

I totally agree with that part. I don't think it was the best decision in the world to sell out for the block. At the same time, I don't think this play made any difference whatsoever in the outcome of the game. It was just really annoying to see Les Miles successful with another fake.

If we are going to have a thread dedicated to one play, it should be the last TD LSU scored in the first half. That one was far far worse than the fake field goal.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ox didn't answer my podcast 7 question about Mac and Nord being prepared for the trick play. My question was answered on the field. I knew before the game started that there would be an attempt. Have these coaches not seen the fúcking Mad Hatter in action over the past how many years???!!! Especially against us???!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator