Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
11 inch beard and daggers.
d8eab1196821d725e4794c948886c809.jpg
bc759154018ca42bdae13a3bae262e80.jpg
Son got one on opening morning on a creek bottom behind the house. He shot the bird at 30 yds and it flopped into the edge of the creek. When son got to it and was about to reach down and grab it by the feet, he realized a cottonmouth was latched on to the bird’s hind end! The snake released and bowed up whereupon son shot him. 2 year old bird but was afraid to keep the meat after the snake was latched on. Was looking forward to the fried tenders :rolleyes3:

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Son got one on opening morning on a creek bottom behind the house. He shot the bird at 30 yds and it flopped into the edge of the creek. When son got to it and was about to reach down and grab it by the feet, he realized a cottonmouth was latched on to the bird’s hind end! The snake released and bowed up whereupon son shot him. 2 year old bird but was afraid to keep the meat after the snake was latched on. Was looking forward to the fried tenders :rolleyes3:

I guess it would "freak someone out", but I doubt the snake latching onto the butt would affected the breast meat. If the bird was dead, there would be no circulation of the venom.

But that is a wild tale to tell the grandkids one day.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

I shot a deer one time right at the end of legal shooting hour and did not find it until the next day. A wildcat, bobcat to you yankees from Meeechigan, dined on one of the hind quarters and covered the carcus with pine straw to hide it.

I bet that cat was pi$$ed off when it returned and its deer was gone. I ate it, but that deer never did taste just right.

:confused:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I guess it would "freak someone out", but I doubt the snake latching onto the butt would affected the breast meat. If the bird was dead, there would be no circulation of the venom.

But that is a wild tale to tell the grandkids one day.
I doubt there would be any risk regardless of whether the bird was dead or alive. I believe snake venom is harmless when ingested into the stomach. I recall when I was a young kid my family watched a "snake" show down in Florida. The presenter milked venom from a rattler and proceeded to drink it down.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I doubt there would be any risk regardless of whether the bird was dead or alive. I believe snake venom is harmless when ingested into the stomach. I recall when I was a young kid my family watched a "snake" show down in Florida. The presenter milked venom from a rattler and proceeded to drink it down.

Yes, as long as you don't have an injury in your mouth or an ulcer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.