Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
The crew with an apprentice.
bfc5005417419effe6503825dfa14b3f.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@Fodderwing

You mentioned the CZ 527. They stopped it because there just weren't enough sales and it ate capacity to keep it around.

A similar rifle that I love, love, love is the Ruger Gunsite Scout. I got one in .308 when they first came out (only offered in .308 at that time), but it's a phenomenal rifle for me. Eventually they did launch it in .223 as well, and I know it shoots sub MOA in .223.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
@Fodderwing

You mentioned the CZ 527. They stopped it because there just weren't enough sales and it ate capacity to keep it around.

So, how does introducing the 600 series jive with that? Is the less than than stellar 600 subbed out to another manufacturer so it does not clog up their factories?

CZ brand shotguns are made by the Turks.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, how does introducing the 600 series jive with that? Is the less than than stellar 600 subbed out to another manufacturer so it does not clog up their factories?

CZ brand shotguns are made by the Turks.
CZ makes their own rifles, but yes, Huglu does most of their shotguns. CZ took a big bold risk with the 600 line. They got on the swappable bolt/barrel train and it would have been an excellent platform, but man 'o man, did that plan go wrong with the recall.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Question for the experts: we were gifted some venison and trying to figure out the best way to cook it. We don’t know what cut we have though. My logic is that you wouldn’t take a pot roast and try to cook it like a filet. Are these cuts something that we want to cook in a crock pot low and slow or is that a cut to be marinated and grilled to med rare like steaks?

TIA -any advice is appreciated. I’ll hang up and listen.

IMG_5139.jpeg

IMG_5137.jpeg

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Question for the experts: we were gifted some venison and trying to figure out the best way to cook it. We don’t know what cut we have though. My logic is that you wouldn’t take a pot roast and try to cook it like a filet. Are these cuts something that we want to cook in a crock pot low and slow or is that a cut to be marinated and grilled to med rare like steaks?

TIA -any advice is appreciated. I’ll hang up and listen.

View attachment 63893

View attachment 63894
Those look like chuck roasts (from the hind quarter).

Put them in the crock pot with about two cups of water and a packet of au jus and sprinkle on some dried onion flakes.

Makes for great French dips or shred it for barbacoa.

Won't be the best steak.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Those look like chuck roasts (from the hind quarter).

Put them in the crock pot with about two cups of water and a packet of au jus and sprinkle on some dried onion flakes.

Makes for great French dips or shred it for barbacoa.

Won't be the best steak.
Thank you

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
@Altitude Gator
Before you replied, Seedy had trimmed up both pieces. We froze one to use as a roast later. Started marinading this one all day in oil, vinegar, lemon and spices to grill. This is the result. No gamey taste and tender but I could see how this one could be used as a roast instead of steak. Considering this isn’t even the best of cuts, I’d definitely get more meat again. I’d love to try the blackstrap.

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
@Altitude Gator
Before you replied, Seedy had trimmed up both pieces. We froze one to use as a roast later. Started marinading this one all day in oil, vinegar, lemon and spices to grill. This is the result. No gamey taste and tender but I could see how this one could be used as a roast instead of steak. Considering this isn’t even the best of cuts, I’d definitely get more meat again. I’d love to try the blackstrap.

View attachment 63917

View attachment 63920
That really does look great!

That is how we cook a lot of our "roasts" that aren't really straight up steak cuts - but generally on the grill. When the boys were living at home, it worked out great for the most part - The boys got the two center cuts at rare to medium rare, I got two smaller cuts outboard of those at medium rare to medium and the wife got the end cuts that were medium to medium well.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Buddy of mine just spent the week of Thanksgiving on Kodiak Island. They filled their tags with 5 Black Tails. They also got a ton of fowls and plenty of salmon & crab.

IMG_0036.jpeg IMG_0034.jpeg

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
No deer yet for me. But I had a chance to take a practice shot last Sunday evening.

The farmers appreciate it when a pig is taken out.

This un was a hawg!
eba82d2db5ca2a143a660eb52205c5c4.jpg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No deer yet for me. But I had a chance to take a practice shot last Sunday evening.

The farmers appreciate it when a pig is taken out.

This un was a hawg!
eba82d2db5ca2a143a660eb52205c5c4.jpg
c2 jr got this monster eating pecans by the tractor shed. Brazen beast just sat there eating while the dog barked and the missus and I waited for son to arrive…

IMG_2611.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator