The Masters

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Largely because of Tiger Woods, this is the most anticipated Masters in years.

Discuss.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We build 'em up to tear 'em down. Then we root for them as the underdog, which pretty much sums up my feelings about Tiger Woods. I'm back on the train.

I'd love to see him play well, but I doubt he'll be in serious contention. The back and swing seem solid. I'm just not sure his head is, not when he shows how tentative he is by grabbing an iron on a par-4 closing hole down a stroke.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why am I talking about the Masters when Dell Match Play is this week

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Please, please, please let Tiger miss the cut. I can’t take another weekend of Jim Nantz trying to talk with Tiger’s dick in his mouth.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We build 'em up to tear 'em down. Then we root for them as the underdog, which pretty much sums up my feelings about Tiger Woods. I'm back on the train.

I'd love to see him play well, but I doubt he'll be in serious contention. The back and swing seem solid. I'm just not sure his head is, not when he shows how tentative he is by grabbing an iron on a par-4 closing hole down a stroke.
He's been in serious contention the last two tournaments, I don't understand your line of thinking. He certainly may not win, but I don't see why he wouldn't be in contention.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Please, please, please let Tiger miss the cut. I can’t take another weekend of Jim Nantz trying to talk with Tiger’s dick in his mouth.
Yeah, let's have Tiger miss the cut so 75% of the audience will turn off the TV. Then the few fans left will have found the perfect cure for insomnia.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Honestly, the last couple of years without Tiger have been some of the best majors. I’ve enjoyed watching golf again when he’s not playing. Lots of good players in contention. And you actually get to see someone besides Woods.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's been in serious contention the last two tournaments, I don't understand your line of thinking. He certainly may not win, but I don't see why he wouldn't be in contention.
He doesn't have the same mental edge he used to. He can't maintain the laser focus over 72 holes. He had lapses the final day of the Valspar on the greens and apparently more so last week in Orlando.

It's not uncommon. So many of the great ones said they lost it after 40.

The Tiger of old would wear out the leaderboard just worrying about when he was gonna step on the gas. He toyed with the competition.

He's a mere mortal now.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, the last couple of years without Tiger have been some of the best majors. I’ve enjoyed watching golf again when he’s not playing. Lots of good players in contention. And you actually get to see someone besides Woods.
You're in the vast minority. Golf has been in the toilet without Woods, immediately returning to pre-1996 levels of interest.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He doesn't have the same mental edge he used to. He can't maintain the laser focus over 72 holes. He had lapses the final day of the Valspar on the greens and apparently more so last week in Orlando.

It's not uncommon. So many of the great ones said they lost it after 40.

The Tiger of old would wear out the leaderboard just worrying about when he was gonna step on the gas. He toyed with the competition.

He's a mere mortal now.
He just came off a fourth back surgery and remarkably finishes Top 5 in back-to-back tournaments and you've already drawn this conclusion? :crazy:

NO ONE is claiming he'll return to the Tiger of old, because the Tiger of old was a machine. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in contention.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Shark was the man pre-Tiger. Him and Nick Faldo and Ernie Els. Some pretty good rivalries if you ask me.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He'll make it interesting and finish in the top 10 but he may very well win it. Its set up Taylor Made for him to win it so Golf can have its story and get back into the limelight...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He just came off a fourth back surgery and remarkably finishes Top 5 in back-to-back tournaments and you've already drawn this conclusion? :crazy:

NO ONE is claiming he'll return to the Tiger of old, because the Tiger of old was a machine. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in contention.
This is what I'm saying. It takes a while to get your mental edge back, longer than the physical, esp when you've been away as long as he has. I'm giving him that benefit of doubt.

Couple that, though, with the fact he's now 42. He had an amazing edge over his peers in the mental department in his 20s and 30s. I doubt he can get that back. Aging does that, it saps some of the concentration and confidence.

But he can still play great golf, just more in spurts.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
He moves the needle unlike any golfer. Having watched his last 2 tournaments, he’s as likely as anyone to be in contention.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
You're in the vast minority. Golf has been in the toilet without Woods, immediately returning to pre-1996 levels of interest.

I realize that I am in the minority. But, to be honest, I’m so sick of Tiger (and Jim Nantz’s man-crush) that I won’t even watch the Masters if Tiger is in contention.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

:what2:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I think most would agree (including Tiger himself) that he has exceeded expectations to this point in the 2018 season. Assuming his back remains stable I would expect to see him play even better as the year goes on. As someone said, there's no logical reason not to expect him to contend at Augusta based on his past history there and his play the last couple of weeks.

As to Tiger's popularity, the viewing numbers don't lie. Lots more people watch when he plays than don't watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.