Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is this still a recruiting thread?

If so

4 star DE from 2019, twitter bio claims hes working to be the #1 overall player in the country. I like that kind of confidence/drive/swagger

Yeah, there is a whole lot less 3 star shopping going on and a whole lot more bluechippers willing to listen.

I'm very impressed so far.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Just like the last 5+ years, in the end there will be attrition and we'll start the year at 80 or less. If you look around the country, there's an average number of players that leave/quit/transfer/medical hardship, etc. Then when you tack on a coaching change the numbers are ALWAYS higher.

Remember, Mullen said that the jig is up w/ the S&C program. Some of these players may have gotten used to the soft program the previous staff ran (or whatever the issue was) and may not like how they get treated (or may not like what is expected of them). There will be some washout from the current roster.

In addition, there are several of these kids who should have never been signed by an SEC school....much less a UF type school. These kids could be "advised" to seek a transfer (i.e. they'll be told they can stay, but they very likely won't see the field). Basically, they'll get Saban'd out of the program.

Bottom line, expect several more departures. I expect to open the year w/ no more than 80 true scholarship players (not counting the 4-6 or so walk-ons that get the leftover scholarships).

I get the concept of trimming the dead wood from the program, but if by trimming it, it leaves you with only 75-80 scholarship players, then why not let those less talented players hang around another year? Wouldn’t having a less talented player be better than having nobody at all? Is there anyways we can’t reach the max for the 2018 season other than just giving walkons scholarships?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I’m unable to confirm or deny your point.

Do you think we get Barnes and Gouraige?

Do 3 and 5 technique DEs on a 3-5 need to be 300lbs? I think a quick 280-285 would be fine for the 3.

I really hope we can snag one or two of those 5-Star CB’s. I like Henderson & Wilson a lot but those guys roll out after 3 years. It’s critical to keep reloading elite talent in the secondary.

No DL needs to be OL size. A 300+ lbs nose tackle can be a good thing and I am sure some DEs can be that size, but they do not have to be that size either to win or as recruits.

Secondary is maybe the hardest position to evaluate. Most high schools put any college prospect DB at FS and let him break on every weenie high school pass. So who knows who can cover. Also there are few stats for DBs and they even are left out of high school film at times.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I forgot to mention this last night but Mullen has told a few of the recruiting analysts that he wants to sign a full 25 in Feb if he can get the right guys. He allegedly said that we'll figure out who can contribute and who can't.....then get the numbers right later. We FINALLY have a coach who understands roster management!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I forgot to mention this last night but Mullen has told a few of the recruiting analysts that he wants to sign a full 25 in Feb if he can get the right guys. He allegedly said that we'll figure out who can contribute and who can't.....then get the numbers right later. We FINALLY have a coach who understands roster management!

Unless all 13 were early enrollees and UF can count 13 back, he does not understand roster management or this story was confused in the repeating. So the likelihood of signing 25 more in February seems slim to me.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Unless all 13 were early enrollees and UF can count 13 back, he does not understand roster management or this story was confused in the repeating. So the likelihood of signing 25 more in February seems slim to me.

I interpreted Mullen's statement to mean he would like to sign an additional 12 players for a full class of 25, not sign an additional 25.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
No DL needs to be OL size. A 300+ lbs nose tackle can be a good thing and I am sure some DEs can be that size, but they do not have to be that size either to win or as recruits.

Secondary is maybe the hardest position to evaluate. Most high schools put any college prospect DB at FS and let him break on every weenie high school pass. So who knows who can cover. Also there are few stats for DBs and they even are left out of high school film at times.

True. Even in hotbed areas, D1 athletes don’t regularly face equivalent competition at their position. They get a lot more evaluation at camps.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Point of irritation/aggravation:

My father-in-law lives in rural Hardee County - outside Wauchula. We’re visiting and watching bowl games. He casually mentioned an OLB at UGA from Wauchula. Keyon Brown was a 4* WDE 2014. 6’3”, 257. Florida didn’t even offer him. We did manage to sign 3* Justus Reed.

The good news? He was recruited by Grantham.

Brown is playing/contributing regularly this year. He’s not a starter, but how does UF not even extend an off to the #22 player in the state? (I get that Richt knows all the small Florida towns as well as anyone.) That was Muschamp. I doubt it was an academic issue based on his other offers.

We also lost out on 4* OG Cleveland Reed from Ft. Meade, who signed with scUM. We did offer him.

Thankfully, Mullen, Gonzales, Hevesy & Grantham know these rural towns.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:what2:

Can’t tell if serious.?.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

My father-in-law lives in rural Hardee County - outside Wauchula. We’re visiting and watching bowl games. He casually mentioned an OLB at UGA from Wauchula. Keyon Brown was a 4* WDE 2014. 6’3”, 257. Florida didn’t even offer him. We did manage to sign 3* Justus Reed.

The good news? He was recruited by Grantham.

Brown is playing/contributing regularly this year. He’s not a starter, but how does UF not even extend an off to the #22 player in the state? (I get that Richt knows all the small Florida towns as well as anyone.) That was Muschamp. I doubt it was an academic issue based on his other offers.

We also lost out on 4* OG Cleveland Reed from Ft. Meade, who signed with scUM. We did offer him.

Do they know Arcadia which once contributed Jim Yarbrough.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Do they know Arcadia which once contributed Jim Yarbrough.

Yes - he’s a retired citrus grower & had his office in Arcadia for decades. He also played football, basketball & baseball and of course Arcadia was an annual opponent. He’s about 10 years older than Yarbrough.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yes - he’s a retired citrus grower & had his office in Arcadia for decades. He also played football, basketball & baseball and of course Arcadia was an annual opponent. He’s about 10 years older than Yarbrough.
I saw Jim play both HS and UF. TE at UF, OT with the Lions, but in HS on defense they lined him up in the middle of the field and he ran to the ball discarding the opposition as if brushing dandruff off his sleeve.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

....but how does UF not even extend an off to the #22 player in the state? (I get that Richt knows all the small Florida towns as well as anyone.)

We have completely lost the state. Butters focused on 2-star's from the Miami area while Saban, Meyer, and anyone else w/ a pulse pulled 5-star's out of Jacksonville and Tampa. If we can land 10+ of the top 40 to 50 players in our own state we'll start building an Alabama style roster within 2 recruiting cycles. If we keep losing our top players to UGA, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, etc. we'll continue this mediocre trend. The difference in a top 5 class vs. a class ranked 10-20 is huge. Many UF fans (posters) have grown complacent and think getting to #10 (like last year) is a big deal.....it's not! We need to get the top kids from our own state!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have completely lost the state. Butters focused on 2-star's from the Miami area while Saban, Meyer, and anyone else w/ a pulse pulled 5-star's out of Jacksonville and Tampa. If we can land 10+ of the top 40 to 50 players in our own state we'll start building an Alabama style roster within 2 recruiting cycles. If we keep losing our top players to UGA, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, etc. we'll continue this mediocre trend. The difference in a top 5 class vs. a class ranked 10-20 is huge. Many UF fans (posters) have grown complacent and think getting to #10 (like last year) is a big deal.....it's not! We need to get the top kids from our own state!
I don’t think it was complacency that made people happy that we got top 10. I know personally that I was happy to see improvement and hoping to see a top 5 class this year.

As for Mullen, I think he’s doing a solid job and happy with him so far. With Frost being Uber loyal to his guys, we may have dodged a bullet there. In the end, Mullen may have been the best fit. I just hope he continues with what he’s doing and also improves facilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.