The National Signing Day Thread

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have completely lost the state. Butters focused on 2-star's from the Miami area while Saban, Meyer, and anyone else w/ a pulse pulled 5-star's out of Jacksonville and Tampa. If we can land 10+ of the top 40 to 50 players in our own state we'll start building an Alabama style roster within 2 recruiting cycles. If we keep losing our top players to UGA, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, etc. we'll continue this mediocre trend. The difference in a top 5 class vs. a class ranked 10-20 is huge. Many UF fans (posters) have grown complacent and think getting to #10 (like last year) is a big deal.....it's not! We need to get the top kids from our own state!

I agree with you whole heartedly. But good coaching makes a big difference. AND good coaching with a key difference maker QB makes a huge impact. Look at Clemson. Dabo’s classes were routinely 12 to 14’ish with the “occasional” top 10 finish and he just won the national championship. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t prefer a top 3 class EVERY year.... But coaching and a big time QB makes turns a good team into a great team.

Mr. SEC

A Very Impatient Grown Up
BANNED
Aug 1, 2014
No. Clemson recruits on an elite level. Last several years, their recruiting classes are >70% 4 stars or better.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I interpreted Mullen's statement to mean he would like to sign an additional 12 players for a full class of 25, not sign an additional 25.
We have 15 if you count the transfers and another 2 committed but didn't sign early....this would mean we are targeting another 8 for all you mathleats

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
We have completely lost the state. Butters focused on 2-star's from the Miami area while Saban, Meyer, and anyone else w/ a pulse pulled 5-star's out of Jacksonville and Tampa. If we can land 10+ of the top 40 to 50 players in our own state we'll start building an Alabama style roster within 2 recruiting cycles. If we keep losing our top players to UGA, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, etc. we'll continue this mediocre trend. The difference in a top 5 class vs. a class ranked 10-20 is huge. Many UF fans (posters) have grown complacent and think getting to #10 (like last year) is a big deal.....it's not! We need to get the top kids from our own state!

I think most of the recent talk is that #10 would be a big deal for a transitional year. 2019 needs to mark the beginning of Top 3 classes as a long term average.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think most of the recent talk is that #10 would be a big deal for a transitional year. 2019 needs to mark the beginning of Top 3 classes as a long term average.

I was mostly referring to last year's class, which was ranked 10th by a couple of the services. If you recall, most of the pumpers were having a circle jerk praising Butters elite recruiting skills (if I have time I'll post some of the comments).

The point was many posters were very happy and quite content with #10. I'll gladly take a top 10 in a transitional year, however.

GatorWarfare

Nov 11, 2017

I agree completely, but I think you're over exaggerating when you say "2 stars from Miami". I hated the agonizing commitment stories of Randy Specials more than the next guy, but we've gotten a good bit of talent too. Butters didn't want to compete with the big boys for recruits, but he did get guys that came in and made a difference this past year. For example, imagine how bad this past year would've been if guys like CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson weren't ready to compete for spots day one in practice? Henderson kept us in the game versus Michigan and had another pick six against Tennessee. I mean imagine if we would've lost to Tennessee this year.

God I hate Mac. Can't wait till the spring game. Go Gators

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I forgot to mention this last night but Mullen has told a few of the recruiting analysts that he wants to sign a full 25 in Feb if he can get the right guys. He allegedly said that we'll figure out who can contribute and who can't.....then get the numbers right later. We FINALLY have a coach who understands roster management!

Unless all 13 were early enrollees and UF can count 13 back, he does not understand roster management or this story was confused in the repeating. So the likelihood of signing 25 more in February seems slim to me.

I interpreted Mullen's statement to mean he would like to sign an additional 12 players for a full class of 25, not sign an additional 25.

We have 15 if you count the transfers and another 2 committed but didn't sign early....this would mean we are targeting another 8 for all you mathleats

Allegedly is the key word here along with if he can find the right guys.....

Our current roster is a veritable mess with only 51 guys available for the FSU game due to injuries and the fraud suspensions. The numbers are an ever moving target as we have no idea when the honor court and administration will finish their "business". Also a few more will transfer due to coaching change or whatever reason and some will take medical hardship exemption. We have 9 minimum guys that may be asked to move on due to University Administration or honor court decision. The suspended guys were not on the team this year and could possibly be considered "non-counters" for count back purposes.

The 85 limit applies to the official count at the start of the season next fall. We need to stop penalizing ourselves with not having enough players at the damn start of the season. You have to sign them in February as you can't add them in September. Eight more is NOT enough....attrition is going to happen, no way to know how much until after spring practice.

I think Mullen is fully aware of this situation and will act accordingly.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Point of irritation/aggravation:

My father-in-law lives in rural Hardee County - outside Wauchula. We’re visiting and watching bowl games. He casually mentioned an OLB at UGA from Wauchula. Keyon Brown was a 4* WDE 2014. 6’3”, 257. Florida didn’t even offer him. We did manage to sign 3* Justus Reed.

The good news? He was recruited by Grantham.

Brown is playing/contributing regularly this year. He’s not a starter, but how does UF not even extend an off to the #22 player in the state? (I get that Richt knows all the small Florida towns as well as anyone.) That was Muschamp. I doubt it was an academic issue based on his other offers.

We also lost out on 4* OG Cleveland Reed from Ft. Meade, who signed with scUM. We did offer him.

Thankfully, Mullen, Gonzales, Hevesy & Grantham know these rural towns.

Wow! Long time since I heard anyone mention my old stomping grounds. Grew up in Bowling Green and graduated from Fort Meade.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That won't be nearly enough. By the time we have kids quit, transfer, go to the NFL whatever, we're going to have 70 or less schollies.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Allegedly is the key word here along with if he can find the right guys.....

Our current roster is a veritable mess with only 51 guys available for the FSU game due to injuries and the fraud suspensions. The numbers are an ever moving target as we have no idea when the honor court and administration will finish their "business". Also a few more will transfer due to coaching change or whatever reason and some will take medical hardship exemption. We have 9 minimum guys that may be asked to move on due to University Administration or honor court decision. The suspended guys were not on the team this year and could possibly be considered "non-counters" for count back purposes.

The 85 limit applies to the official count at the start of the season next fall. We need to stop penalizing ourselves with not having enough players at the damn start of the season. You have to sign them in February as you can't add them in September. Eight more is NOT enough....attrition is going to happen, no way to know how much until after spring practice.

I think Mullen is fully aware of this situation and will act accordingly.

Well:

1. The key words are 13, 25, 85 and count back. UF has signed 13 guys. UF can only have 25 initial college students (counters) in the fall, UF can only have 85 players overall, but some of the 13 guys UF has signed already can count back on the class of 2017.

2. There is a ZERO chance that guy who UF recruited, signed, gave grant in aid to and who attended class last fall will not count on the 25/85 limits. It is a pipe dream to think otherwise.

3. A school can sign each year the SMALLER of 25 or 85 - returning players. The binding constraint for UF this year is likely to be the 25.

4. However, my chart had UF at 85 to start last season. Of those there were 13 SRs. 2 JRs, Del Rio and Zaire with possible eligibility are not coming back. At least 3 guys have declared early for the NFL, Bryan, Callaway, Pineiro. Robinson has been DQed due to heart issues. So that gives UF 19 under the 85 limit and UF has accepted at least 2 transfers reducing that number to 17. So UF must have 8 more guys leave some way to get to 25. (4 year college transfers count on the 85 limit but not the 25 limit.)

5. UF signed 23 in the class of 2013. According to 247 this class had 5 players enroll early. That means of those 23 players 18 counted in the class of 2017. That appears to leave UF with the possibility of counting 7 players back on the class of 2017. Of UF's 13 signees we do not know yet how many if any have enrolled.

6. That would mean in February that UF could sign 25 - 13 + 5 = 17 players for a total of 30 in the two signing periods, if UF can get those 8 additional slots open.

There is always some error in this as there are so many numbers that are constantly changing.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"There is always some error in this as there are so many numbers that are constantly changing."

Probably the most key of all the key words...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2. There is a ZERO chance that guy who UF recruited, signed, gave grant in aid to and who attended class last fall will not count on the 25/85 limits. It is a pipe dream to think otherwise.
Are you talking about felony boyz? The ONLY time the 85 matters is in August. If those guys arent back to the team by then AND we have pulled their schollies, the dont count to the 85 limit. Im not sure whether they are still on aid or not.

Youre numbers are crazy but I know you lile to count walkons etc. Those guys get a year to year scholly and have no guarantee of anything in August.

That doesnt even begin to take into account that our pathetic numbers include Trash, Andrew Mike and a dozen others who arent even skilled enough to be P5 and who will never step on the field.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Are you talking about felony boyz? The ONLY time the 85 matters is in August. If those guys arent back to the team by then AND we have pulled their schollies, the dont count to the 85 limit. Im not sure whether they are still on aid or not.

Youre numbers are crazy but I know you lile to count walkons etc. Those guys get a year to year scholly and have no guarantee of anything in August.

That doesnt even begin to take into account that our pathetic numbers include Trash, Andrew Mike and a dozen others who arent even skilled enough to be P5 and who will never step on the field.

I am not sure this is worth going over, but:

1. If you bothered to READ, the prior posters was dreaming that the frosh among them might not count as initial counters LAST YEAR. That would affect the number UF could count back this year. Get it?

2. My numbers are likely the best around here. I certainly count walkon scholarships for the fall they are awarded as they affect your ability to take college to college transfers that fall if you are at 85. I certainly remove them for calculating how many players you can sign going forward.

3. Yes numbers have nothing to do with your uninformed opinion about this or that player. Numbers are the number and impact the number you can sign going forward.

GatorWarfare

Nov 11, 2017

Looks like Mullen is really making a play for Dorian Gerald. We really need a strong finish on the DL. Gerald (JUCO), Jefferson (JUCO), Nesta Silvera, Andrew Chatfield, Jamarcus Chatman, and Malcolm Lamar. Hopefully we can finish with at some of those guys. Go get em Mullen! Might need to hire a DL coach first if we expect any of them to commit now

GatorWarfare

Nov 11, 2017

He wants the attention, but I believe he'll end up a Gator. I don't think he's going to leave the state and our only competition seems to be Bama and Tennessee

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Well:

1. The key words are 13, 25, 85 and count back. UF has signed 13 guys. UF can only have 25 initial college students (counters) in the fall, UF can only have 85 players overall, but some of the 13 guys UF has signed already can count back on the class of 2017.

3. A school can sign each year the SMALLER of 25 or 85 - returning players. The binding constraint for UF this year is likely to be the 25.

4. However, my chart had UF at 85 to start last season. Of those there were 13 SRs. 2 JRs, Del Rio and Zaire with possible eligibility are not coming back. At least 3 guys have declared early for the NFL, Bryan, Callaway, Pineiro. Robinson has been DQed due to heart issues. So that gives UF 19 under the 85 limit and UF has accepted at least 2 transfers reducing that number to 17. So UF must have 8 more guys leave some way to get to 25. (4 year college transfers count on the 85 limit but not the 25 limit.)

5. UF signed 23 in the class of 2013. According to 247 this class had 5 players enroll early. That means of those 23 players 18 counted in the class of 2017. That appears to leave UF with the possibility of counting 7 players back on the class of 2017. Of UF's 13 signees we do not know yet how many if any have enrolled.

6. That would mean in February that UF could sign 25 - 13 + 5 = 17 players for a total of 30 in the two signing periods, if UF can get those 8 additional slots open.

There is always some error in this as there are so many numbers that are constantly changing.
Thanks.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Looks like Mullen is really making a play for Dorian Gerald. We really need a strong finish on the DL. Gerald (JUCO), Jefferson (JUCO), Nesta Silvera, Andrew Chatfield, Jamarcus Chatman, and Malcolm Lamar. Hopefully we can finish with at some of those guys. Go get em Mullen! Might need to hire a DL coach first if we expect any of them to commit now

Delighted, but I thought that this was the quiet period.??!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.