The National Signing Day Thread

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
Except we aren’t accepting any commitments right now

I never inferred that we were. I was responding to the mention that he is a "3 star recruit listing himself as a 5 star on Twitter." He is somewhere in between and the sheer number of offers from top schools is a bit telling.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
It seems Corral is the type of young man that you should build your offense around. Mullen's got Toney to be his elusive Percy Harvin-like & should get that Juco Malik Heath with the 4.24 speed. Surely in practices, the magnetism of Corral's passing accuracy draws Mullen toward a throwing not running QB.

Mullen & crew can pull in the right recruits - like a bruiser-blocking FB who can actuallythe run the ball well. It's possible that the Mullen recruiting pitch repeats repeats his NC seasons at UF. My mind's eye can still visualize those OSU stand-fans shaking their heads marvelling at the surgical precision of our passig attack QB, Leak. OSU folk had tearful frustration welling up as Mullen's gators picked up 1st downs on 3rd & long repeatedly.

Then Mullen followed by properly using Tim Tebow to cram losses down opponents' throats. Now those 2 QBs were as different as could be and Mullen used them correctly. Lord, remember how we negatively laughed at Chris' innate aversion to getting hit at all. As GatorNation excitedly loved seeing that, so too will top recruits be drawn to that UF style... and that includes their seeking the joyful swagger with tickled humility. Play those highlights for each O-recruit. This is University of Florida football kids.

Well shoot, why shouldn't us fans 'love the one we're with? and 'til shown that doubtful dumbness that Mullen cannot remember the workings of his 2 natty teams, we could, with piledriving-faith, remember Mullen's NC offenses as returning to the Swamp real soon. UF can sign those natty-type athletes again, so CFB needs to tremble some. Go Gators, recruit like winners & champions. Let's create a winful buzz aroud this program starting now.

Nicely written as usual Rog... how easily people have forgotten the passing attack with Leak at the helm that won us a Natty in this offense.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Except we aren’t accepting any commitments right now
I think that is BS. What does that even mean? Of course we are accepting commitments, why wouldn't we be? Other than no contact periods or whatever those are called why would we have a self imposed "no commitments" period? Even is we keep the 16 or so verbals we have, we need like 12 more or something depending on how many we are going to be able to take. The more studs you can lock up on the early date the better.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think that is BS. What does that even mean? Of course we are accepting commitments, why wouldn't we be? Other than no contact periods or whatever those are called why would we have a self imposed "no commitments" period? Even is we keep the 16 or so verbals we have, we need like 12 more or something depending on how many we are going to be able to take. The more studs you can lock up on the early date the better.

I think what it means is a new coaching staff wants to evaluate who have outstanding offers and how those guys will fit into the system

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some recruiting stuff from Crucial:

Florida’s coaching staff, support staff and recruiting class have already experienced changes under Mullen, and things will be fluid for a few more weeks.

Here are some early thoughts and predictions on how Florida’s staff and class could fill out:

• Mullen has a shot with Georgia 5-star QB commit Justin Fields, but he would have to officially visit UF and be blown away on that trip for a flip to be possible. If Fields steps foot on Florida’s campus again, all bets are off.
  • If Mullen pursues Fields past this week, I think Gators QB pledge Matt Corral will re-open his recruitment. He still wants to attend Florida as of now, but that will change if he’s not a priority to the new staff.
  • Mississippi State QB commit Jalen Mayden (Sachse, Texas) is also a name to watch at the position. The Elite 11 finalist is ranked the nation’s No. 13 dual-threat quarterback.
  • At this time, Dameon Pierce, Iverson Clement, Kyle Pitts, Dante Lang, Richard Gouraige, David Reese, Amari Burney and Randy Russell are the most likely commits to sign with the Gators. I think it’s still to be determined with the other commits.
  • Mullen is going all in for Bulldogs WR commits Stephen Guidry and Malik Heath and I expect him to flip at least one of them, maybe both.
  • On Jan. 9, 2018, every FBS college football team can hire a 10th on-field assistant coach. Mississippi State safeties coach Ron English will likely be a candidate, but Mullen could also pursue a second D-line coach or an assistant who’s strictly a special teams coordinator. Here’s how I expect Mullen’s staff to fill out before then:
Brett Elliot — Quarterbacks coach (currently at MSU)
Ja’Juan Seider — Running backs coach
Billy Gonzales — Co-OC, wide receivers coach
John Hevesy — Co-OC, centers/guards coach
Brad Davis — Tackles/tight ends coach
Chris Rumph — Defensive line coach
Todd Grantham — Defensive coordinator/linebackers coach
Tim Skipper — Outside linebackers coach/special teams coordinator
Terrell Buckley — Secondary coach/recruiting coordinator (currently at MSU)

---

With the hiring of Mullen, what sort of attrition would you anticipate and what sort of dark-horse recruits not on the previous coaching staffs radar could you see us landing?

Mullen is expanding Florida’s recruiting board at QB, WR and CB, so there could be some attrition at those positions.

With Randy Shannon no longer on staff, the Gators will be at risk of losing South Florida commits Nigel Bethel, Corey Gammage, Tyquan Thornton and Divaad Wilson.

In addition to Fields, Mullen is gearing up for another run at 4-star WR Justyn Ross, Oregon DE commit Malcolm Lamar, Miami DT commit Nesta Silvera and 5-star cornerbacks Tyson Campbell and Patrick Surtain Jr.

----

Decommits that could return:

The Gators have had five de-commitments during the 2018 cycle, with Jacob Copeland and Taylor Upshaw being the most recent defections. Upshaw flipped to Michigan, while Copeland is now considered an Alabama lean.

I think those two are the only former commits who have a chance to make their way back into the class. Florida plans to visit Copeland and Upshaw later this week.

Copeland will wait until National Singing Day to make his final decision, so Mullen & Co. have time to make up ground. Upshaw is an early enrollee, however, so time is on Michigan’s side.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I never inferred that we were. I was responding to the mention that he is a "3 star recruit listing himself as a 5 star on Twitter." He is somewhere in between and the sheer number of offers from top schools is a bit telling.

Got ya. I thought that was funny. He may be great... but calling yourself a 5* in your profile when you are a 3 is funny.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I think what it means is a new coaching staff wants to evaluate who have outstanding offers and how those guys will fit into the system
If Justin Fields called and said he has decided to commit to Florida I'm guessing they would gladly take it. Anyway, I hope this is just a day or 2 they are putting commitments on hold. We need momentum and nothing builds it like these kids blowing up social media with those little gator emojis.

Hearing Mullen actually made the call to Corral would be nice too.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I like having the DC in place this quickly. We need serious work there, especially LB. Several nole commits have been outspoken about the Fisher nonsense, one a 4*LB. We need to move in now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nicely written as usual Rog... how easily people have forgotten the passing attack with Leak at the helm that won us a Natty in this offense.
The "passing attakc" w Chris Leak was a clusterfvkk and was largely nonexistent. We ran wildcat alot w Percy and others and used Tebow on third and short.

The fact that Mullins hasnt called says it all.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The "passing attakc" w Chris Leak was a clusterfvkk and was largely nonexistent. We ran wildcat alot w Percy and others and used Tebow on third and short.

The fact that Mullins hasnt called says it all.
Leak threw for like 250 or something in the BCS championship if I recall, or maybe that's selective memory. Anyway, can't we at least hope we're going to have a better passing attack until the spring game reality hits us?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Is there a reading comprehension problem here? The tweet says they hadn't accepted any commitments TODAY. Meaning up until the time of the tweet (4:17PM) they hadn't accepted a commitment. It doesn't say we aren't accepting ANY commitments. The other kid sent his tweet at 8:40pm. :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.