The National Signing Day Thread

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Am I wrong in thinking that part of our recruiting problem is that we haven't been super good at evaluating recruits regardless of their * rating?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Justin Fields called and said he has decided to commit to Florida I'm guessing they would gladly take it. Anyway, I hope this is just a day or 2 they are putting commitments on hold. We need momentum and nothing builds it like these kids blowing up social media with those little gator emojis.

Hearing Mullen actually made the call to Corral would be nice too.

Fair point... I was more just going on what they said on twitter.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Other than Penn Sate that offer list is less than impressive. I guess he has good size.

I don't think Mullen really wanted this kid. The only reason he took this kid is that Mullen wanted to "send a message" to Chip Kelly!!! "I'll take ALL your recruits, mother*&$r!!" So he just swooped in and grabbed one of their OL commits!! :D

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
All the Tommy Bowden types, Rich Rodrigues, Dabo, Holgerson,and the Petrino types (Brohm etc) all run a very vertical offense (still spread but you could say that about SOS too).

Not arguing - discussing...

RichRod’s offense at WVU was more pitch it to Slayton, Renard etc in space and watch them zip upfield, plus Pat White gashing defenses with his legs. I don’t watch Az. Dabo does run a vertical game as does Petrino, but as you note when you’ve got Watson or Jackson it’s spread to the max.

But there was a quality to SOS here that was different. I saw his offense as based off the 20-yard out pattern. With the right QB it was impossible to defend and opened the middle of the field, running lanes etc. The mismatch in the slot - be it Doering or Hilliard - covered by a LB or safety was money in the bank. Offensive penalties didn’t kill drives - 3rd & 11 was no big deal.

What Dabo & Petrino run may be the descendants of SOS’s offense.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Mullen really wanted this kid. The only reason he took this kid is that Mullen wanted to "send a message" to Chip Kelly!!! "I'll take ALL your recruits, mother*&$r!!" So he just swooped in and grabbed one of their OL commits!! :D
Dude looks like a beast in the weight room though. Maybe he’s the 5th lineman and will be a project.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
That's not insignificant. He put that back up after they visited Fields.
...and he took "UF Committment" off yesterday.

I just hope we get him. He appears to be a mature kid and he has good skills and decision making capabilities.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
He's 17 years old and in HS. 15 reps of 315 is impressive for grown men. Most dudes at the NFL combine can't get 225 more than 15-20 times.
this... Anyone not impressed with this is crazy...

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's 17 years old and in HS. 15 reps of 315 is impressive for grown men. Most dudes at the NFL combine can't get 225 more than 15-20 times.

Yep, and he's not using his chest like a trampoline to bounce it back up the way a lot of guys do. It was a pretty impressive display for a kid who still hasn't reached the optimum age for strength development.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
...and he took "UF Committment" off yesterday.

I just hope we get him. He appears to be a mature kid and he has good skills and decision making capabilities.
It’s really for the best. He needs to find a better fit. Despite what some on here say, Mullen will not adapt an offense around a recruit. Chris Leak was already here, which is why we adapted. He is going to find a dual threat guy.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
The "passing attakc" w Chris Leak was a clusterfvkk and was largely nonexistent. We ran wildcat alot w Percy and others and used Tebow on third and short.

The fact that Mullins hasnt called says it all.
He threw for almost 3000 yards in 2006 and 23 touchdowns...? Can we please have some more nonexistent passing now? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pumped about the hire but his QBs here all completed no less than 65% with yardage totals that dwarf anything we've seen since. Not to mention the run game was also better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.