The Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady Debatet

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n165711 said:
I've been involved in this debate for over a decade arguing and lobby for our Peyton. Last night proved to be the final chapter. Tom Brady has taken the Patriots to six Super Bowls in his career. In the two losing efforts against the New York Giants he did his job leading the Patriots to go ahead touchdowns late in the forth quarter only to see his defense break down against Eli Manning waging a remarkable almost miracle comeback to take the Lombardi Trophy. Last night he lifted the Patriots to overcame a ineffective running game and two interceptions by crafting 300+ superlative passing yards with critical clutch play in the fourth quarter against the celebrated vaunted Legion of Boom Defense to win his historic fourth Super Bowl.

I tip my hat to Tom Brady, the best quarterback of his generation and of one of the greatest of all time, as he joins Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw, holders of 4 Super Bowl rings.

Congratulations, Tommy Boy.

You are correct, Alvin, and I admire your self-reflection and honesty here. Peyton Manning has played alongside at least 10 quarterbacks that are as good or better than him. They unfortunately elevated him to some sort of legacy status just because his dad was a third-rate "lovable loser" QB for a laughingstock franchise. He never had the talent nor the guts to live up to all the hype. Who he was as a person and QB in college turned out to be a harbinger of who he'd be in the pros. He lacked character, and it's forgivable for a Vol fan not to recognize that until 20 years later in the twilight of his fast-fading career. Sure there were signs during his college career; The sexual assault/smearing of his sweaty ass and junk on a female trainer's face, the wild gesturing at his receivers to let everyone in the home audience and stadium know just who was at fault for that bad pass, the litany of bad performances against ranked teams, and his 0-4 record against Florida. But it's understandable that UT faithful would stand with him. Hell, if he'd chosen to go to Florida to spend his years on the bench behind Wuerffel and Shottenheimer, I'd be wishing him the best too.

Alvin, you and I have disagreed on much over the years and I hope you understand the tough love I've had to give you at times. Please know that much of it, (especially my admonition about the risky behavior you were engaging in at truck stop men's rooms, and about goose-stepping around Ku Klux Kountry in western Tennessee praising Allah and shouting death to infidels), was really born out of my concern for your safety and well being. I'd like to start fresh with you, Alvin. Let's be civil with each other moving forward on this new board. I'll take your admission that Peyton is a choke artist as a sign that we can indeed be friends. I hope you see my olive branch in the same light.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;165825 said:
Manning/Brady has only ever been a debate for vol fans. The real debate for Manning is if he's about the sixth or seventh best qb in his time. Besides Brady, I'd put several QBs in front of Manning.

Including Peyton's own brother.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There was never a debate. One is a champion and the other sells Papa Johns pizzas during Super Bowls.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Manning is a world renowned connoisseur of chicken parm. Suck on that Brady

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not a debate because the two are not, and have never been in the same class. Gotta win your "1 SB ring" division first.

So first up, Peyton Manning vs Mark Rypien.

Best of luck.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Shouldn't this debate be kept among active QBs ?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n165852 said:
It is amazing to me how little appreciated Manning is.
Little appreciated? I assume you're talking about among us, because no one is more plastered in our face and "appreciated" by the media more than Peyton Manning.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Peyton is probably not in the top 10 in NFL history. How many quarterbacks are more clutch in the moment than P. Manning. He has the same number of Super Bowls as NFL greats like Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Jim McMahannon, etc... That is a who's, who of great NFL quarterback talent, is it not?

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n167135 said:
Peyton is probably not in the top 10 in NFL history. How many quarterbacks are more clutch in the moment than P. Manning. He has the same number of Super Bowls as NFL greats like Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Jim McMahannon, etc... That is a who's, who of great NFL quarterback talent, is it not?

"a who's who of great NFL quarterback talent"

Since we're trying our best to be sarcastic.....

not every quarterback can have the astounding, dynamic and historic record of Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow in the NFL.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n167210 said:

not every quarterback can have the astounding, dynamic and historic record of Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow in the NFL.

:bananawave:

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I think Peyton is a top 10 as of right now. His career is essentially over, so we know what his final picture will look like. Now guys like Brees, Rogers, Big Ben, and Andrew Luck could very well pass and push him out once their careers are over. That is my view on it if you are looking at the entire body of work, as you should. He has a lot of numbers to back him, just not enough big games to carry him long.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n167210 said:

That is true, not all quarterbacks win Championships in college. How many championships did P. Manning win at Tennesse?

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I'll take Timmy/Danny's college careers over Peyton's NFL career..I care more about college, anyway.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n167210 said:

Plus, I'd take the people that Tim and Danny are over the person that is Peyton. PM will go down as one of the biggest douches of all time in the NFL.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WillGetIn;n167314 said:
Plus, I'd take the people that Tim and Danny are over the person that is Peyton. PM will go down as one of the biggest douches of all time in the NFL.

Oh, you nailed it. Peyton Manning is absolutely despised by the media along with all the people around the country who detest and object to his demonic personality that oozes arrogance and entitlement.

You wold be better served acknowledging I have accepted Brady as the winner of the controversial quarterback competition. Meanwhile OUR PEYTON is hell bound for election on his way to the Hall of Fame.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n168531 said:
Oh, you nailed it. Peyton Manning is absolutely despised by the media along with all the people around the country who detest and object to his demonic personality that oozes arrogance and entitlement.

You wold be better served acknowledging I have accepted Brady as the winner of the controversial quarterback competition. Meanwhile OUR PEYTON is hell bound for election on his way to the Hall of Fame.
Accepting that Manning is the inferior QB and recognizing some of his character flaws is admirable of you, Alvin. It's even more admirable that you've come on a rivals board to admit it, as most Tennessee fans are still in denial about this fact. For his part, Manning will make the hall of fame despite his character issues and lack of guts. This is a testament to his longevity and the large payrolls that have been expended on his offenses, and Tennessee fans who have followed his career should be proud when that day comes.

Personally, I don't blame Peyton for his failures as a man and as a football player. Most of his issues of lack of guts and character center around his upbringing and fall squarely on Archie's shoulders. Peyton followed the career of Archie the loveable-loser and became somewhat of one himself. His fans don't put paper bags on their heads like they used to for Archie in New Orleans, but perhaps they should consider it when the playoffs start again next year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n168531 said:
Meanwhile OUR PEYTON is hell bound for election on his way to the Hall of Fame.
He won't make the Hall. Too many choke jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.