The Real Spring Practice Thread

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All that, and It really just boils down to this - half empty or half full, what do you see?
CABAA-CCCCC-EDDCH-GA_thumb.jpg

I see a glass that is too big.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Euro has always had the same MO. He shows up once a month or so to tell us how terrible we are and how great the coach is. He was hilarious during the Mushchump years.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Just playing a "what if" here...

...chump beats usce to hold onto his job. As a result, Lamar Jackson chooses UF (rumors were he cooled on UF when chump was fired) and we finally get a dynamic dual threat QB who attracts better WRs and OLs. Recruiting probably stays in the top 5 annually, but chump is still on the sidelines calling the shots...

Are we better off?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Euro has always had the same MO. He shows up once a month or so to tell us how terrible we are and how great the coach is. He was hilarious during the Mushchump years.

Law criticizing somebody for having "the same MO" hahahaha*takes a breath*hahahaha

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Just playing a "what if" here...

...chump beats usce to hold onto his job. As a result, Lamar Jackson chooses UF (rumors were he cooled on UF when chump was fired) and we finally get a dynamic dual threat QB who attracts better WRs and OLs. Recruiting probably stays in the top 5 annually, but chump is still on the sidelines calling the shots...

Are we better off?

Muschamp had offensive linemen.

OG Jon Halapio, OT Trent Brown, C Max Garcia, OT Chaz Green and OT D.J. Humphries were all NFL draft picks that played for Muschamp. Humphries was a 1st round draft pick, Green went in the 3rd round and Garcia went in the 4th round in 2015. Muschamp had bookend tackles and a center that went in the first 4 rounds. In 2014 you throw in 6th round pick OG Halapio and you have 4 players on the OL that are all NFL draft picks. What more can you ask for? Muschamp rode that NFL offensive line to a 7-5 record

Muschamp was never going to attract WRs simply because he didn't value the position. In two of his seasons at Florida he didn't bother to hire a WR's coach. Think about that. He thought so little about the importance of WRs that he went short staffed rather than hire a position coach. He told the WRs to go hang out with the grad assistants. That's how we ended up with players infamously blocking each other. What WR is going to come play for a coach that was quoted as saying only three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad?

Muschamp didn't win because he hates offense. He hates offense so much he told the WRs that they weren't important enough to actually coach. He hates offense so much that if he got the ball on his own 35 trailing by 10 with 3:00 minutes left in the half everyone knew he would just try to run the clock out.

If Muschamp had Lamar Jackson he would refuse to hire a WRs coach, kill the clock and Jackson would have been talked about in the same way as Driskel. No offensive player in their right mind would have signed to play for Florida under Muschamp.

That's the legacy Mac inherited.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Muschamp had offensive linemen.

OG Jon Halapio, OT Trent Brown, C Max Garcia, OT Chaz Green and OT D.J. Humphries were all NFL draft picks that played for Muschamp. Humphries was a 1st round draft pick, Green went in the 3rd round and Garcia went in the 4th round in 2015. Muschamp had bookend tackles and a center that went in the first 3 rounds. In 2014 you throw in 6th round pick OG Halapio and you have 4 players on the OL that are all NFL draft picks. What more can you ask for? Muschamp rode that NFL offensive line to a 7-5 record

Muschamp was never going to attract WRs simply because he didn't value the position. In two of his seasons at Florida he didn't bother to hire a WR's coach. Think about that. He thought so little about the importance of WRs that he went short staffed rather than hire a position coach. He told the WRs to go hang out with the grad assistants. That's how we ended up with players infamously blocking each other. What WR is going to come play for a coach that was quoted as saying only three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad?

Muschamp didn't win because he hates offense. He hates offense so much he told the WRs that they weren't important enough to actually coach. He hates offense so much that if he got the ball on his own 35 trailing by 10 with 3:00 minutes left in the half everyone knew he would just try to run the clock out.

If Muschamp had Lamar Jackson he would refuse to hire a WRs coach, kill the clock and Jackson would have been talked about in the same way as Driskel. No offensive player in their right mind would have signed to play for Florida under Muschamp.

That's the legacy Mac inherited.

Please don't tell me chump recruited well at OL. He brought in 2 each of his final two years - a big reason Mac inherited only 6-7 healthy OL. And some of the guys you mentioned were urb's recruits.

Jackson is a way more dynamic runner than Driskell. Not guaranteeing he would've fixed our rotting offense, just speculating.

As for your assessment of chump's priorities and competence to handle the offense, you nailed it.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Please don't tell me chump recruited well at OL. He brought in 2 each of his final two years - a big reason Mac inherited only 6-7 healthy OL. And some of the guys you mentioned were urb's recruits.

Jackson is a way more dynamic runner than Driskell. Not guaranteeing he would've fixed our rotting offense, just speculating.

As for your assessment of chump's priorities and competence to handle the offense, you nailed it.

I really don't think he was crediting muschamp for recruiting those offensive lineman. He was simply pointing out that even with 4 NFL draft picks on the OL, he only managed a 7-5 season.

Everybody, even the biggest Mac haters, recognize that muschamp's recruting severely handicapped Mac when he came to UF... not that it will stop them from bashing Mac at every opportunity.... But even they can't deny how shorthanded he was. Just think about it.... A D3 transfer who could barely bench press his own weight came in and managed to secure a starting spot. That's how screwed we were on the OL.

Now.... The rubber hits the road THIS year. We NOW should be able to expect some real and significant improvement on O. If there is none... He's a dead man walking. I am hopeful... But not optimistic.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep this team is Mac's now - almost the whole starting offense will be his.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Now.... The rubber hits the road THIS year. We NOW should be able to expect some real and significant improvement on O. If there is none... He's a dead man walking. I am hopeful... But not optimistic.
I'm curious if 2222 agrees with this sentiment

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I'm curious if 2222 agrees with this sentiment

I think the offensive talent is much improved. However, the OL and QB position may still need some work.

We are most likely going to be starting a green QB that has never thrown a pass in college. There is no substitute for experience.

I think the offense will improve this season, but may not be consistent as the young QB gains experience and coach Davis teaches the OL how to play with an attitude. I don't expect us to be the best offense in the conference, but I don't expect us to be at the bottom either.

The recruiting appears to be improving, the depth and talent level are improving, in my opinion the coaching changes are an improvement. It appears that everything is headed in the right direction. I expect the offensive output to reflect that as well.

In my opinion, the dumpster fire Muschamp left in his wake was so severe that it was nearly impossible for Mac to recruit the offensive players he truly wanted. No offensive player in his right mind wanted his name associated with the mess that Muschamp put on the field every week. I think the recruits are starting to buy back in now after Mac's second season.

I wanted Muschamp gone as soon as it was evident that he had no intention of fielding an offense. Mac wants to toss the ball around, but lacked the WRs, OL, TEs and QBs that are necessary for that type of offense. We are still lacking depth and experience. I'm willing to give Mac time to work out from behind the dumpster fire.

As long as we don't regress then I think we are still moving forward at an acceptable pace.

No Swamp Donkey, I didn't say that I think it is acceptable to lose every game or get blown out.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Indeed on paper we seem to be improving some. But what matters in the end for Mac is wins and losses. We shall see what he fields this year

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If we come out stale in the red zone again this year, we will be in big trouble. We have left so many points on the field its scary. We better have an improved oline or nothing will improve. With a good run game we can coddle our freshman QB a little if need be. Hopefully he grows up fast and ends up a gamer.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think the offensive talent is much improved. However, the OL and QB position may still need some work.

We are most likely going to be starting a green QB that has never thrown a pass in college. There is no substitute for experience.

I think the offense will improve this season, but may not be consistent as the young QB gains experience and coach Davis teaches the OL how to play with an attitude. I don't expect us to be the best offense in the conference, but I don't expect us to be at the bottom either.

The recruiting appears to be improving, the depth and talent level are improving, in my opinion the coaching changes are an improvement. It appears that everything is headed in the right direction. I expect the offensive output to reflect that as well.

In my opinion, the dumpster fire Muschamp left in his wake was so severe that it was nearly impossible for Mac to recruit the offensive players he truly wanted. No offensive player in his right mind wanted his name associated with the mess that Muschamp put on the field every week. I think the recruits are starting to buy back in now after Mac's second season.

I wanted Muschamp gone as soon as it was evident that he had no intention of fielding an offense. Mac wants to toss the ball around, but lacked the WRs, OL, TEs and QBs that are necessary for that type of offense. We are still lacking depth and experience. I'm willing to give Mac time to work out from behind the dumpster fire.

As long as we don't regress then I think we are still moving forward at an acceptable pace.

No Swamp Donkey, I didn't say that I think it is acceptable to lose every game or get blown out.

Alright but what if Zaire starts? He has played in some big games before. What would be expected out of the offense then?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Alright but what if Zaire starts? He has played in some big games before. What would be expected out of the offense then?

No idea. That's a wildcard. We can't predict how he will do in our offense until we see him play in it. Regardless, I would expect the next QB to come from our bench and they would have to be really good in 2018. If we don't have a QB in 2018 even I will jump ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator