The vision behind Dan Mullen’s overhaul of Florida’s recruiting staff

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Will Sammon of The Athletic interviewed Mullen about how he's changed last year's recruiting infrastructure (subscription req'd - seriously, just sub already!):

The vision behind Dan Mullen’s overhaul of Florida’s...

Excerpt:

When he was hired at Florida in November 2017 after nine seasons at Mississippi State, Mullen arrived with a vision of how he wanted his recruiting department to work. Last year wasn’t a great reflection of what Mullen had in mind. He knew this year had to be different.

“How I had it set up last year, I wasn’t pleased; I didn’t like how it all worked,” Mullen told The Athletic. “We made a bunch of changes.”

All recruiting staffs are different — some in subtle ways from one to the next, some in overt ways — and none are perfect. Comparisons are often made based on size, and Florida’s support staff has recently grown amid some turnover. Certainly, expanding helps, and Florida needed to bolster its group in a way similar to how conference peers such as Georgia and Auburn have over the past couple years. But that’s only part of the story, and, for the Gators, just adding bodies wasn’t going to be a cure-all. What’s the value of a large group without skillful managing, organization and direction?

“I’ve expanded it this year because I’m more comfortable in defining everybody’s position,” Mullen said. “I have a hard time hiring people just to hire people. I don’t need to (say to myself), ‘OK, this school has this many people so I’m just going to hire that many people.’ I’m not into that.”

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Will Sammon of The Athletic interviewed Mullen about how he's changed last year's recruiting infrastructure (subscription req'd - seriously, just sub already!):

The vision behind Dan Mullen’s overhaul of Florida’s...

Excerpt:

When he was hired at Florida in November 2017 after nine seasons at Mississippi State, Mullen arrived with a vision of how he wanted his recruiting department to work. Last year wasn’t a great reflection of what Mullen had in mind. He knew this year had to be different.

“How I had it set up last year, I wasn’t pleased; I didn’t like how it all worked,” Mullen told The Athletic. “We made a bunch of changes.”

All recruiting staffs are different — some in subtle ways from one to the next, some in overt ways — and none are perfect. Comparisons are often made based on size, and Florida’s support staff has recently grown amid some turnover. Certainly, expanding helps, and Florida needed to bolster its group in a way similar to how conference peers such as Georgia and Auburn have over the past couple years. But that’s only part of the story, and, for the Gators, just adding bodies wasn’t going to be a cure-all. What’s the value of a large group without skillful managing, organization and direction?

“I’ve expanded it this year because I’m more comfortable in defining everybody’s position,” Mullen said. “I have a hard time hiring people just to hire people. I don’t need to (say to myself), ‘OK, this school has this many people so I’m just going to hire that many people.’ I’m not into that.”

Whatever he’s doing ain’t exactly working.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't have a scrip so I couldn't read the whole article, but I'm glad it came out. Before reading it I was under the impression that these guys were demonstrating our "vision" on the subject of recruiting.
upload_2019-9-5_15-14-52.jpeg

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Im glad he wasnt happy with last years setup, i wasnt either. Not sure I'm seeing real change however, or at least positively impactful change. Im not for growing staffers if you dont have specific jobs or needs for them either, but based on our performance so far, there has got to be a job or a need. The details may need to be identified, but there is most definitely a need.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
His "vision" could use a pair of much needed glasses.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This was a great article. Basically, Mullen is getting the support staff more efficient and organized. Unlike our last 2 morons, Mullen sees the importance of a great support staff. But, he is having to learn how to build one. Recruiting at Miss St. and recruiting at UF are two different worlds. It is time to start seeing results though.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This was a great article. Basically, Mullen is getting the support staff more efficient and organized. Unlike our last 2 morons, Mullen sees the importance of a great support staff. But, he is having to learn how to build one. Recruiting at Miss St. and recruiting at UF are two different worlds. It is time to start seeing results though.
couldnt read it so hope this is true, but so far it looks like we are still sucking. just my 2 cents.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This was a good paragraph from Sammon’s article,

It’s too early to tell how recruiting philosophies match across the staff, but a priority this year was making sure everyone was on the same page, and if that is improved, Florida should be better for it. The new assistant directors of player personnel do not comprise the full staff; there are other recruiting assistants, not to mention media directors like Kevin Camps, who has done great work with photo edits and social media. But schools such as LSU and Georgia still have more full-timers in addition to the help they get from student assistants (a new SEC rule says only full-timers are allowed to talk to or host a recruit).

Notice that last sentence. There have been posters on this board talking about how far behind UGly we are. This is a little glimpse into it. Mullen is trying to catch up. I assume that kind of large organizational structure isn’t built over night. Kirby got the benefit of seeing how it is done under Saban. Mullen didn’t.

Last edited:

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Our vision from time to time is subject to change.

OMG. Talk about not keeping your eye on the ball. Getting mired in details. Not seeing the forest for the trees. Insert other cliches about not focusing on priorities.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Too busy tweeting...I hope the goodness there are interns doing the tweeting and summarizing for him.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
The pussification of the country continues.
Please explain to me how asking for a changing station to change his child is considered pussification? Unless you want the guy to change his kid on a nasty sink or lie the kid on a disease ridden floor. Please expand

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Our vision from time to time is subject to change.

Is that what it takes to get Stricklin to do something? Dang it, if @Swamp Donkey was still here, we could have him tweet the AD to move baseball to Santa Fe and start the football facility early. I’m guessing he would totally do it!

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Is that what it takes to get Stricklin to do something? Dang it, if @Swamp Donkey was still here, we could have him tweet the AD to move baseball to Santa Fe and start the football facility early. I’m guessing he would totally do it!

That’s a good idea..

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator