There's a 'fire Joe Moorehead' website up

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Moorehead is a bad coach at all. I think Fitzgerald is just a poor fit for Moorehead's system, and his limitations makes that offense one-dimensional. He only completed 42% of his passes. Last year he was the 105th ranked QB (out of 125) on completion percentage. Of course it doesn't help that MSU's receivers are better blockers than pass catchers.

Defensively they are statistically better than us so far. I think the offense will improve once he gets players that are a better fit for what he wants them to do.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Yep, would only be the 6th time ever. 1995, 1996, 1998, 2009, 2012

Are you only including the years where the SEC has been split into divisions? Pretty sure you could add a few years prior to 92.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Forget OOC cupcakes. In conference:

Darrell Royal was 7-7(and promptly left).

Jackie Sherrill was 43-59-1

Croom was 10-30

Mullen was 33-39 during arguably the toughest period any division has ever seen.

He absolutely raised the bar in terms of expectations, and certainly among this generation. If you had to really point out a mistake, it would probably be that he stayed too long. His stock never got any higher than it was early on. If he follows Prescott out after 2014, he is probably seen differently. That said, the flip side to that, is that he obviously still thought he could get them over the hump, and was willing to keep trying. And/or he really wanted the UF job and was basically waiting for it. Neither of which are terrible qualities.
He'd have taken it in a heartbeat when Urban quit. Where would we be if we'd hired him instead of Muschamp?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Weren't we told Jeremy interviewed one and only one candidate after being wowed into submission in Austin?

Doesn't mean that phone calls weren't put out before the interviews to see whom was available. A few ex UF coordinators had told Foley no, before he made his interview list.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't mean that phone calls weren't put out before the interviews to see whom was available. A few ex UF coordinators had told Foley no, before he made his interview list.
You asked why didnt he. We never offered.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Maybe they just didn't want to work for Foley.

I have no idea, and even my post that started us down this path was speculative. But between not wanting to work for UF under that regime, and also having just landed in Starkville and starting to get comfortable, if in fact he was offered, I could see him turning it down.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe they just didn't want to work for Foley.

I have no idea, and even my post that started us down this path was speculative. But between not wanting to work for UF under that regime, and also having just landed in Starkville and starting to get comfortable, if in fact he was offered, I could see him turning it down.
Brantley continuing to haunt us years later.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A DM hire made no sense, not by JF standards. Relatively expensive and no glory for Foley for uncovering the raw gem at Walmart pricing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Was he the one that forced Brantley on us?

Not at all. I wouldn't say anyone in particular forced us. Once he got cold feet with going to Texas and was open to looking at UF, the staff had to try. The stats, the GPOY, the name. Too much heat to not at least try. Even though we already had our heir apparent to Tebow in Newton. But I don't think anyone at UF was overly interested in him because of fit.

Edit: I assumed leo was talking about Foley. Considering the thread started out about Moorehead, touched on Mullen, delved into Foley, and ended up on Brantley, it got a little confusing as to who the "he" was . My apologies to him.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, I meant Foley.
This is an interesting trajectory. Please continue to explain yourself, esp as it relates to Urban.

Are you saying he's to blame?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not at all. I wouldn't say anyone in particular forced us. Once he got cold feet with going to Texas and was open to looking at UF, the staff had to try. The stats, the GPOY, the name. Too much heat to not at least try. Even though we already had our heir apparent to Tebow in Newton. But I don't think anyone at UF was overly interested in him because of fit.

Edit: I assumed leo was talking about Foley. Considering the thread started out about Moorehead, touched on Mullen, delved into Foley, and ended up on Brantley, it got a little confusing as to who the "he" was . My apologies to him.

Brantley was a legacy coached by one of the best quarterbacks in our history. You have to make the attempt, even if he is going to ride the pine.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Then why didn't he?
Youre not one of those peoole who actually believe anyone has ever offered him another job, are you?
Tinerc and us, last year. He left when he could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.