BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is funny...

Fire Joe Moorhead – Fire JoMo

Five games in, Mississippi State fan creates fire Joe Moorhead website

Five games in, Mississippi State fan creates fire Joe Moorhead website

Things aren’t going so well in Starkville right now.

After starting the season 3-0, Mississippi State has dropped its last two games, including Saturday’s matchup with Dan Mullen and the Florida Gators.

Seeing their old coach come in and defeat their new one at home was obviously a tipping point for fans, and some have decided to create a “fire Joe Moorhead” website.

Mississippi State was completely shut out in the second half on Saturday against Florida, and failed to score a single touchdown. Nick Fitzgerald threw for just 98 yards, and the Bulldogs could not get anything going in terms of offense or momentum.

Unfortunately for Mississippi State fans, their schedule gets a lot harder before it gets easier. This Saturday, the Bulldogs will host No. 8 Auburn before they get a bye week. They then have to travel to Baton Rouge to take on No. 5 LSU.

We’ll see if Moorhead can turn things around for Mississippi State, but for some fans, their patience has already worn thin.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looking at their schedule they will go no better than 6-6 if they don't upset Auburn this weekend.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
You can say Dan Mullen's record at Mississippi State was not that good against elite SEC teams, but Mullen raised the bar and expectations in Starkville. He created a buzz about the State program. The stadium was enlarged and facilities were updated. The crowds became larger and louder. Where before if State was playing Alabama it was how much are we going to lose by. After Mullen it became hey we might be able to beat Alabama. There was a whole different vibe about that program after Mullen got there. A lot of people questioned why Mullen even went to State in the first place. They thought he would hold out for a more high profile job. But Dan Mullen took it on and worked his tail off. And for us at Florida it has benefits that he did so. He has nine years as a successful SEC head coach. That's pretty good information to put on your new job application.

Now for a little bit of SEC trivia. There were two former Mississippi State head coaches who went on to win National Championships at other schools? I know you can look things up on the Web so I'll go ahead and give you the answers. One was Murray Warmath who coached at State from 1952 to 1953. He won the National Championship at the University of Minnesota in 1960. The other won was the man who succeeded Warmath at State. Darrell Royal was the head coach in Starkville from 1954 to 1955. He went on to win three National Championships at Texas in 1963, 1969, and 1970.

Murray Warmath and Darrell Royal -- two former Mississippi State head coaches who won national championships at other schools. Remember that. Will Dan Mullen be able to add his name to that elite list?

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Did Cowbell actually think they were getting a good coach?

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
After scoring just one TD in eight consecutive quarters of SEC play, that didn't take long. With AU and LSU coming up, they could be 0-4 in the SEC before they ever face Bama.

Living here in Savannah, Richmond Hill, home of Fitzgerald, is just one county over and 15 miles away. We get all the info you'd ever want to know about him in the local media, print and TV. Prior to the game Saturday night, you would have thought that he played for the Red and Black variety of Bulldogs he was getting so much press. It was getting annoying, as if Miss St was Savannah's "second team" (behind UGA and ahead of GT and Ga Southern, where I teach). I guess we won't hear much of him anymore, esp if they drop those next two games.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
You can say Dan Mullen's record at Mississippi State was not that good against elite SEC teams, but Mullen raised the bar and expectations in Starkville. He created a buzz about the State program. The stadium was enlarged and facilities were updated. The crowds became larger and louder. Where before if State was playing Alabama it was how much are we going to lose by. After Mullen it became hey we might be able to beat Alabama. There was a whole different vibe about that program after Mullen got there. A lot of people questioned why Mullen even went to State in the first place. They thought he would hold out for a more high profile job. But Dan Mullen took it on and worked his tail off. And for us at Florida it has benefits that he did so. He has nine years as a successful SEC head coach. That's pretty good information to put on your new job application.

Now for a little bit of SEC trivia. There were two former Mississippi State head coaches who went on to win National Championships at other schools? I know you can look things up on the Web so I'll go ahead and give you the answers. One was Murray Warmath who coached at State from 1952 to 1953. He won the National Championship at the University of Minnesota in 1960. The other won was the man who succeeded Warmath at State. Darrell Royal was the head coach in Starkville from 1954 to 1955. He went on to win three National Championships at Texas in 1963, 1969, and 1970.

Murray Warmath and Darrell Royal -- two former Mississippi State head coaches who won national championships at other schools. Remember that. Will Dan Mullen be able to add his name to that elite list?

Great coaches from the past. Royal's Texas beating Parseghian's Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl when Irish returned to post-season bowls after long absence was phenomenal. That darn wishbone. Of course the Irish blasted Texas in the rematch the following year.

Warmath had a couple of really good teams at Minnesota. If memory serves me correct - a questionable assumption these days - Carl Eller and Bobby Bell were two of his ferocious All-Americans.

Go Mullen, Go Gators.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
After scoring just one TD in eight consecutive quarters of SEC play, that didn't take long. With AU and LSU coming up, they could be 0-4 in the SEC before they ever face Bama.

Living here in Savannah, Richmond Hill, home of Fitzgerald, is just one county over and 15 miles away. We get all the info you'd ever want to know about him in the local media, print and TV. Prior to the game Saturday night, you would have thought that he played for the Red and Black variety of Bulldogs he was getting so much press. It was getting annoying, as if Miss St was Savannah's "second team" (behind UGA and ahead of GT and Ga Southern, where I teach). I guess we won't hear much of him anymore, esp if they drop those next two games.

Or if his talented backup replaces him as starter.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Miss State also had a football coach go 65-19-3 and win the SEC one year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Did Cowbell actually think they were getting a good coach?

I think Moorehead was a good hire for a MSU type team. He brings an impressive resume. He's recruiting very well....and piggy-backing on the success Mullen had. Fortunately for him, this is the best crop of recruits from the state of Mississippi in years. He's trying to force Fitzgerald to be a QB he's not and it's costing his offense. I'm not sure if he needs to bench Fitz or alter the offense. But he got it handed to him the last two weeks (offensively). I'm not sure he'll have more, similar, or less success than Mullen. But Mullen left him a loaded team that should have easily won 8 to 9 regular season games and it looks like he's going to sh*t the bed. I'm sure the honeymoon is over for the fans too. Dan Who? What a joke! Ungrateful bastards!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He may have raised the bar a little but they just went 5-7 two years ago...also losing to UK. They play 4 directional schools every year. That's 4 gimmies every year. Go .500 in Sec play and you are already at 8 wins minimum.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He may have raised the bar a little but they just went 5-7 two years ago...also losing to UK. They play 4 directional schools every year. That's 4 gimmies every year. Go .500 in Sec play and you are already at 8 wins minimum.

That's easier said than done. Several SEC teams can say the same thing and fail to do it (hell, UF has failed to do it most of the last decade).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's easier said than done. Several SEC teams can say the same thing and fail to do it (hell, UF has failed to do it most of the last decade).
Most teams dont schedule 4 cupcakes OOC.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Most teams dont schedule 4 cupcakes OOC.

Well, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Miss State, Alabama, Auburn, and Missouri usually do (usually - I know Bama plays the kickoff games, and Kentucky plays Louisville). UGA has 4 cupcakes this year, especially w/ Ga Tech being a "cupcake" the last decade.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Forget OOC cupcakes. In conference:

Darrell Royal was 7-7(and promptly left).

Jackie Sherrill was 43-59-1

Croom was 10-30

Mullen was 33-39 during arguably the toughest period any division has ever seen.

He absolutely raised the bar in terms of expectations, and certainly among this generation. If you had to really point out a mistake, it would probably be that he stayed too long. His stock never got any higher than it was early on. If he follows Prescott out after 2014, he is probably seen differently. That said, the flip side to that, is that he obviously still thought he could get them over the hump, and was willing to keep trying. And/or he really wanted the UF job and was basically waiting for it. Neither of which are terrible qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator