They tore down the Porpoise

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Many great nights at the Porpoise... best one was with Monty Grow... apparently things haven't worked out so well...
http://thebiglead.com/2013/07/15/fo...eaving-3-year-old-in-car-while-at-strip-club/

Monty Grow was one of Gainesville's all-time great studs. That dude's womanizing was the stuff of legend.

Not until Rex Grossman banged half the chicks in Gainesville were Grow's escapades eclipsed.

Yeah...I imagine Detroit had a right fine time that night.

Alex.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
A LONG time ago, the offices of the Florida Alligator newspaper were in the same building. I'd go there once a week to see what the editor wanted me to cover.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Was it the Porpoise or the GrogHouse that had 25 cent pitchers until the first person went pee? Some chick would always ruin it.
Grog house.....only place you could get lit by 10PM and your tab would be 3.25

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Whew. We didn't get to make it on the couple trips down last year. Hope its near the same location.

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
Also a stop on my first legal drink tour. I think I was already trashed from the 50 cent pitchers at Players before we got there. Lots of grab ass going on that night! RIP PP

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
spent most of my drinking hours on that strip just up the street at the salty dog. sorry to see the old places go. i remember when the old chaucer's burned down.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
spent most of my drinking hours on that strip just up the street at the salty dog. sorry to see the old places go. i remember when the old chaucer's burned down.
The Salty Dog became the regular hang-out for us as well - started going there at halftime as we usually had friends who didn't have tickets that would camp there on game days and have beers and shots ready for us when we got there. :fistbump:
salty_dog_gainesville.jpg

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Going out in Gainesville was so cheap but we were so broke we pregamed anyway. We'd chug a ton of booze right before leaving the apartment. It wouldn't hit us until after we were parked so no DUI danger. We always went to the bar with the best specials that night.

When I was in Law School, it was Outback in Butler Plaza on Monday Nights, CJ's for quarter beers then the Florida Theater on Tuesdays, 3-in-1s at the Porpoise and then Swamp on Wednesdays, downtown on Thursdays (maybe Rickenbackers, Market Street, or Durty Nellies), Friday and Saturday were Porpoise, Grog, Balls, Dog, Cubana, etc. or a party at somebody's house. 'Course you might go to Dubs or the Rotator and try to pick up an ACR, or maybe take an alternative chick to Simon's, a country girl to 8 seconds, or a hippy chick to the Dish. Underage chicks were at TJs, Milfs hung out at Lillians.

Alex.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Spent a good majority of my college drinking days in the Dog. Loved that place! Best part was I lived in the apartments a block behind so it was always within stumbling distance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When I was in Law School, it was Outback in Butler Plaza on Monday Nights, CJ's for quarter beers then the Florida Theater on Tuesdays, 3-in-1s at the Porpoise and then Swamp on Wednesdays, downtown on Thursdays (maybe Rickenbackers, Market Street, or Durty Nellies), Friday and Saturday were Porpoise, Grog, Balls, Dog, Cubana, etc. or a party at somebody's house. \

:facepalm: Some of us were studying.

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of my favorite memories was the Thursday night of the 1990 multiple murder scare. We started around 3 pm, had a 4 pm class ended up blowing off, stumbled out at closing to the Catholic parking lot behind and there was a guy lying face up in the wooded part of the lot in the middle of path....I guess looking at the stars....

Tried to get him up and out of danger...he wanted to know why we were messing with him. He was 'in the garden'. Dragged him over to the side...mainly so I would not drive over him....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
One of my favorite memories was the Thursday night of the 1990 multiple murder scare. We started around 3 pm, had a 4 pm class ended up blowing off, stumbled out at closing to the Catholic parking lot behind and there was a guy lying face up in the wooded part of the lot in the middle of path....I guess looking at the stars....

Tried to get him up and out of danger...he wanted to know why we were messing with him. He was 'in the garden'. Dragged him over to the side...mainly so I would not drive over him....
We lived in Gatorwood at that time.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I worked most nights after class, so I didn't get to hit the places that often. I want to say that Ale House and PP had ladies night on Wed and :08 had it on Thursdays. Friday and Saturdays were usually party nights.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We lived in Gatorwood at that time.
I lived right across the street. It was that Thursday morning when all the satilite trucks were parked outside? It was a mad house on campus after gatorwood. Fathers throwing their daughter's stuff in the trunks...mass hysteria. Every gun sold! Crazy.

ProcrastiGATOR

2019 GatorChatter March Madness Bracket CHAMPION!
Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2015
Nothing like the sweet smell of BALLS on a game day.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 275

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Spent a good majority of my college drinking days in the Dog. Loved that place! Best part was I lived in the apartments a block behind so it was always within stumbling distance.

Do you remember a kid who worked there named Marc? Went by the nickname Dick Tricks?

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb